How do i know which side of a capacitor is +? and is there a + and - side to a resistor or do they go in any way you want?
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
I think the long leg (or the side with the stripe) is the + side, and no, resistors can go either way around.
Last edited by blue_strat at Nov 15, 2007,
can anyone confirm this?
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
The side with the stripe is NEGATIVE. If it's an axial cap, a set of arrows will typically point to the negative side.

On an electrolytic/polarized cap the side with the stripe is the - side.
If it's another type like a ceramic disk cap it doesn't matter which way it goes.
Resistors don't have a + or - side.

If you have a polarized cap you want the signal to enter the + side and exit the - side.
Quote by Wonthefu

If you have a polarized cap you want the signal to enter the + side and exit the - side.

Well, no. You want the positive side to have a higher voltage than the negative side, but this isn't necessarily the signal side.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by Wonthefu
Normally I don't let people correct me.

Well, unless they happen to be right.

That's alright buddy, it's a pretty common mistake that people make. I just don't want to see somebody making a positive-ground pedal and having a cap explode in their face
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by ECistheBest
^with 9 volts?

It's possible. I've done it at TAFE with some smaller electrolytic caps.
tight. i started a fire once with a 500k pot and a 9v battery. i freaked out so i took the battery immediately, so i don't remembe rhow it was oriented. but yes. a fire started.

so keep ur battery sources away from everything!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
tight. i started a fire once with a 500k pot and a 9v battery. i freaked out so i took the battery immediately, so i don't remembe rhow it was oriented. but yes. a fire started.

so keep ur battery sources away from everything!!!

And always make sure you discharge high voltage caps! Disposable camera flashes make a wicked way of taking advantage of drunk people. Nothing like a good 300V while you're passed out