Page 1 of 2
Hey! I'm considering buying some "real" pickups to my Epiphone G 310 (SG) because it's cheaper then buying a new guitar

I've found 2 sets of pickups that I think would be alright. Its the (neck) 490R ALNICO Magnet Humbucker and (bridge) 498T ALNICO Magnet Humbucker (the mics on the Gibson SG Standard)

Or the EMG 81/85's

Booth seems to have rly nice sound, but its rly hard to choose, can u give some thoughts...
Ok let's start:
1. What do you play?
2. What amp do you have?
3. What sounds do you want?
4. Where do you live?
5. What's your budget?

Oh and the 490R and 498T aren't that good
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeah it would really help to know what you want to play, and what kind of amp you have. If your amp is crap, then I, along with most people on this forum, will suggest getting a new one of those first before you think about upgrading your guitar. The amp contributes the majority of the sound, not the guitar.

But if your amp is good (still tell us what it is) then I would say go with the EMG's if you play metal. That's what they were made for.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
The G-310 is made of terrible wood. Replacing the pickups is not going to help much, and my guess is that you should probably get a new amp first.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Ok, to aswer all the Q's

The amp: Line6 spider III 120watt

I play rock, heavy metal.. mostly

Which sounds.. hmm.. well I wanna play like Ac/dc songs, Guns 'n roses, metallica..

I live in sweden

Budget between 157 USD -> 315 USD (dont know if thats correct, used some crappy money converter...
Last edited by JonasK at Nov 15, 2007,
But the amp is like worth 694 USD :S

What amp should i get then ? a marshall stack :S
GET A BETTER AMP. Trust me. Spiders = crap, I know first hand. Just look at my sig. I am not proud of that at all. Go to the local shop and listen to a better amp, and you will see what I mean. Plug into a Roland Cube 60 or a Vox AD30VT-XL, both of which you should consider buying instead of the pickups. Then plug into a 6505 or a high end Marshall, just for fun. But not Marshall's MG or AVT series. Those are crap as well.
Look guys, honestly the 120W Spider III isn't that bad. Stop basing this on the older spider II and the Spider III 30 And 15W. The 120W has some nice tones in there, especially witht he clean twang channels and has a nice distortion channel as well.

And at jonask, the product cost doesn't dictate the quality of the product
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I have Alnico V BurstBucker Pro pickups in my les paul and they sound great, but I still want to upgrade. I have a Marshall tube combo amp and it sounds great.
Last edited by dutch5367 at Nov 15, 2007,
Amps don't end at: Beginner amps and Marshall stack.

Look into amps, there are many good beginner amps out there worth a try that aren't expensive:
Roland cube series, apparently really good, with amp models and stuff.
Vox AD series, it has a tube in the preamp so it has that slight tube essence, has amp models, effects, I love it (they have one at school, because of me )
Orange crush series, orange solid state amps, suposedly good.

Or you could go for a cheap tube amp:
Laney LC15 - VERY good I love mine, it has awesome tones, perfect volume for gigging, I'm awaiting the time I have the money/space to have a more top end Laney
Epiphone Valve junior, supposedly amazing many mod these or just use them as they are, the single volume control limits it slightly but you can get an EQ pedal/rack if you need.
other 5 watt tube amps, there are many all getting pretty good reviews.

Read up on this stuff, amps don't end with Marshall and Vox and Guitars don't end with gibson and fender
Spending almost 200 dollars to put pickups in a 200 dollar guitar, pretty good investment. Its a bolt neck SG the cheapest one they make. You might wanna try the better SG first.
First of all, I would just buy a better guitar all together, because your gonna end up with pickups that are worth more than your guitar. BUT, if you must, I recommend Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro humbuckers. They are pretty awesome, and they'll only run you about $80 (USD). TONS of bang for your buck.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Nov 15, 2007,
I also agree to stop bashing the Spider III 120watt. They are good amps and he likes it. TS, don't buckle under the pressure of these guys. Anyway, the Gibson pickups you listed are good, but $40 over priced, and inconsistent. I have a good 498T, but some guitars with the 498t I've played have been bleh. I think you would be better putting your money into a better guitar, as good pickups won't save you from a crap guitar.
the line6 spider 3 ***120 watt**** is a pointless amp. i think you fail to see that point. also half of the defneders of them are owners who've never tried other amps.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Tackleberry
Spending almost 200 dollars to put pickups in a 200 dollar guitar, pretty good investment. Its a bolt neck SG the cheapest one they make. You might wanna try the better SG first.

and i quote DagMX "the product cost doesn't dictate the quality of the product"
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
the line6 spider 3 ***120 watt**** is a pointless amp. i think you fail to see that point. also half of the defneders of them are owners who've never tried other amps.

Can't say that i've tried many amps so u might have a point there.

I've heard alot on youtube, but u can't rly judge from the stuff u hear there

And I have thought about buying a new guitar, i actually have another post out on the Ibanez RG350DX and the Jackson DXMG (would have bought a Gibson mayby SG if i had the budget)
Last edited by JonasK at Nov 15, 2007,
Well the thing about low end guitar's is they don't take full advantage of new hardware and electronics put in because, well, there ****ty. For instance putting EMG's in a G-310, especially with average amp such as a Spider III, there not going to sound to much better. My best advice is to go to the store and look at some new amps. I've never personally played 120W Spider but I havn't heard many good things. You will probably hear a huge difference in the amps. If you don't notice any differences with the amps in the store then maybe look into the Alnico pickups, but definatly not the EMG's.
You Look Like I Need A Drink
Quote by Storm_Bringer_

For the record, I have played many, many amps, I had a Spider II and hated it and thought it was garbage. I sat with the Spider III and liked it. It is a truely good practice amp, but you can't spend 5 minutes with it, you have to sit and play with it, and it sounds good. Its a not a gigging amp, its a practice amp. It may be a tad on the digital sounding side and the effects aren't the best but its a good amp and the TS likes it. And for the record, a better amp will not help a crappy sound that great; that great amp will only sound mediocre. And its often more common for people mass bashing or mass loving a product to never have played it and is just going with popular opinion

Number 2, your Valve Juniors and what not are not for heavy metal, get that through your heads people. The Line 6 is a decent amp for metal. The Cube sounds less digital, but it doesn't have near the features of flexibility. the Vox may sound the best for your mid gain/over drive tones, but imo, its far from the best metal amp. The Crush is also not a metal amp, and is very similar to the Marshall MG in the sense its pricey, and hardly has any features.

So Storm Bringer, if the Spider III is so pointless, wanna say why and your experience with it?
My friend has that very same Spider III. It sounds no better than my Spider II. Which sounds like crap to begin with. PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. But if you like it, I guess it's fine. I would still suggest a Cube 60 or an AD30VT-XL.

I also agree that if you MUST focus on the guitar, just buy a new one. That RG350 is a good choice for the price. I wouldn't go for the DXMG. Those EMG HZ's don't come anywhere near the actives, and they don't sound too good in general. But I guess through a Spider, it wouldn't matter quite as much. Other than that, they are good guitars. My old teacher had one. He said himself that the only drawback to it was the pickups. I played it a few times and it has a great feel to it.
if you have a spider go passive..
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Iaf JonasK, kul att se en till Svensk!

Anyway I would recommend these pickups, they're cheap and sounds great for the price
www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

A Warthog for the bridge and a Condor for the neck
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I have played a Line6 Spider II before, and I thought it sounded just fine. Not the best thing ever, but unless you're a professional musician, you don't really need a perfect amp.

I would advise getting a new guitar, rather than just putting new pickups in a G-310. I don't really know what to recommend to you for a guitar, though. Maybe a better SG if you like SGs.
AHH ENOUGH WITH THE SPIDER BASHING!! THAT AMP IS FINE!!! I HAVE THE ONE THAT IS A STEP ABOVE!!! its not perfect but its a good amp dangit! anyways, i have no idea about wat pickup u want, but dangit! that amp is fine!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by AngelOfHatred
I have played a Line6 Spider II before, and I thought it sounded just fine. Not the best thing ever, but unless you're a professional musician, you don't really need a perfect amp.

I would advise getting a new guitar, rather than just putting new pickups in a G-310. I don't really know what to recommend to you for a guitar, though. Maybe a better SG if you like SGs.

+3 on this guy, i agree with the new guitar part too
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
hey man! if ur in to heavy to soft rock to metal id seriously recommend getting 81s and 85s installed on your sg. i have the same guitar as you and i installed 81/85 on mine with an afterburner also. wicked sound off it. make ur guitar kickass man...cost me in all bot €350 for pickups afterburner and installation. afterburner is v tricky to install so make sure who ever is doing it knows what hes doing.

good luck bud!
If you keep the sg310 I'd put GFS pups in it, cheap as they are they're quite decent. I have EMG 81-60 in my lp copy and they're really nice but pricey. I used to have an afterburner and it rocks but the bridge wire that I disconnected moved and shorted the AB (stupid me, I forgot about it).

Sorry to say but the 310 models are rather cheapy because I had one, a telecaster (T310). They're playable alright but I can't see myself putting money into it.
i put emg's in my epi g310, not the best decision but not the worst either.

it sounds wayyyy too trebley no matter what i try. the gain is just too brutal (in a bad way).

i reckon u should just get a new guitar.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
if u like the feel off your sg 310 and u havnt really got any other guitars in mind id modify it. bu if u ava bit off money maybe you shud shop around c if you like something else. i looked around didn c anything that reali caught my eye guitar wise and thats why i modifed mine. but up ta u..
how can you say that a 120w spider is a good amp... that's really rediculous. MAYBE you could convice me that it's relatively cheap and versatile which makes it good for practice but that argument only lends itself to the 15w ones...
ya cant beat the marshall mg dfx100 for reliable, easy to transport n good sound quality for a practice/small gig amp dude
Quote by red_hood1
ya cant beat the marshall mg dfx100 for reliable, easy to transport n good sound quality for a practice/small gig amp dude

LOL WUT!

Seriously, for the 1,000,000th time, dont get a fricken MG.
Quote by bored_maniac33
AHH ENOUGH WITH THE SPIDER BASHING!! THAT AMP IS FINE!!! I HAVE THE ONE THAT IS A STEP ABOVE!!! its not perfect but its a good amp dangit! anyways, i have no idea about wat pickup u want, but dangit! that amp is fine!
The amp is ****. n00bs buy it because it has a lot of buttons and flashing lights on it.
I play on a Line 6 Spider II 150w and I have swapped pups in several guiitars and the difference in those was amazing compared to the cheaper stock pups. I get all my pups on Ebay used. I have bought Duncans, DiMarzios, original Gibsons even a set of old Schaller pups all for a fraction of the price new. You just have to be patient sooner or later you'll make a score. I got a set of Duncans for less than $30.00 shipped several months ago. I forget what type they were but they are great! I'll see if I have the auction confirmation still in my Email folder that had the type listed. I just got a set of high end DEAN brand pups for $18.00 and swapped them in a cheaper DEAN ML X and it was like I changed the whole guitar. I have to say you can hear the difference using the same amp.
Quote by FRDesign
The amp is ****. n00bs buy it because it has a lot of buttons and flashing lights on it.

Well noobs buy Marshall MG15CDR because they think all marshalls rock...
Wow, this thread is all over the place.

Threadstarter, I think the best course of action would be to buy some hot GFS pickups. They are cheap and would let you save up for a new guitar/amp/whatever.

Gibson pickups are way overpriced.

You do not want EMGs; they might possibly sound worse through your Spider III than your current pickups.

Most people shun the Spider III 120 because with that money you could get a used Peavey 5150, which sounds about eighty-gazillion times better for metal.

Whoever suggested the MG100 needs to be taken out behind the shed for a whuppin'.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Wow, this thread is all over the place.

Threadstarter, I think the best course of action would be to buy some hot GFS pickups. They are cheap and would let you save up for a new guitar/amp/whatever.

Gibson pickups are way overpriced.

You do not want EMGs; they might possibly sound worse through your Spider III than your current pickups.

Most people shun the Spider III 120 because with that money you could get a used Peavey 5150, which sounds about eighty-gazillion times better for metal.

Whoever suggested the MG100 needs to be taken out behind the shed for a whuppin'.

whats wrong with mg100?? i think its agud amp for a beginner...wat amp u got goin on??

i gotz a Marshall JVM410H with 1960 cab
Quote by DagMX
Look guys, honestly the 120W Spider III isn't that bad. Stop basing this on the older spider II and the Spider III 30 And 15W. The 120W has some nice tones in there, especially witht he clean twang channels and has a nice distortion channel as well.

And at jonask, the product cost doesn't dictate the quality of the product
Ok, Shut up. I have nothing against Line 6 at all, and I like a lot of their stuff, but the Spider sucks, in 15 or 150W models. They sound the same and they are awful.
Page 1 of 2