Ok so here's the deal. I'm trying to teach one of my friends how to play guitar. I've showed him how to play G A D C F E power chords bar chords stuff like that. He's starting to get it to where we can strum alone at the same time but the only problem is he keeps losing his pick or he has to stop about every minute or so to adjust it. I've showed him how I hold a pick so many times but he's not getting it. Maybe I'm doing something with it that I just don't recognize myself or something. I don't remember having that much of a problem holding a pick. At least not for as long as it's been. Any suggestions on what I can say to him (or I'll show him this thread) to help him out would be very helpful.

Please. It's giving me a headache.
He has to learn for himself. He'll trial and error until he finds something comfortable. That's basically all that can be done.
Bend your first finger. Then put the pick over the first joint (from the end), facing away from the finger. Put your thumb over the pick.

I think that might be the "proper" way of holding it or whatever. "Proper" in "" as in "teach this to newbies" or something.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
First off, he's a beginner so be more patient.

Part two, if you are their to show him how to show a pick and he still can't get it, I think it will be near impossible to explain it over text how to do it properly.

C, go to http://www.learnthat.com/courses/fun/guitar/holdpick.shtml

IV, tell him to hold it more firmly and loosen up his wrist.

EDIT: HAHA! I spelled there w/ the pronoun their... Perhaps I should study my engrish.
it should be held between your forefinger n your thumb and it should be parallel to the strings, i mean this way

------- string
_ pick

but its your way, its up to you
you just have to work with him on it, and be patient cuz it is almost impossible to explain how to be comfortable. He will find a way that works for him. just don't force any specific way to hold it. I myself don't hold my pick in any orthodox way, I hold it like a pencil and it works fine.
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
He should hold the pick in any position were it is comfortable. All he has to remember is to hold it firmly in his hand. Myself, I like to have the pick between my thumbnail and my index fingernail, with just a tiny bit of the pick being able to be seen. This helps me get the right amount of speed that the song calls for, it allows false harmonics to be played with ease, and it catches the right string at the right time, so there are barely and misplayed notes. Hope I was of some assistance.
- Play it from your heart, to the tips of your fingers
Quote by sock_demon

Image tags are a lifesaver

I dont see how people can play with thier picks like that =/
dude maybe the problem isn´t how he holds the pick, but the pick...
tell him to go to a guitar store and try all the varyeties of picks til he finds one that fits his style better...
for instance, I use tear-shaped picks...
Keep On Rockin´

Gear:
Ibanez GRG-270
Roland Cube30X
Zoom G2.1u
Quote by shreddin_frets
I dont see how people can play with thier picks like that =/

Same really, my picking looks like that with the only difference being my index is pointing towards the same point the pick is.

On topic, I think you should let him discover by himself. From experience I learned things are much easier to discover when you're let with yourself. As an example, videogames. If you start giving out items and always helping out a newbie, he won't learn as much as if we was let by himself, having to discover things by himself. The way I see it, people tend to learn faster alone as you are obligated to learn things, instead of always having someone to tell you what to do and what to not do, or someone to do everything for you.

To conclude, you should just hint him about how to hold it. Tell him how to hold it properly, but nothing more. He's gonna be forced to modify his technique gradually, seeing it's uncomfortable, to eventually reach the Nirvana of pick-holding ( ).

Oh and I do not think you can say there is a correct way of holding a pick. Sure there are, but there's most likely no ultimate holding technique. The way I see it, what's comfortable to people are uncomfortable to others, etc. Also, we all have different hands, to a certain extent. For example, I can bend my fingers to nearly 60 degrees... reversed, which makes my finger hella stretchy(I can reach 5 frets from index to pinky, and that's the first 5 frets, without any tension). This makes me comfortable doing powerchords with my index and 3rd finger, while some people use their pinkies, which seems uncomfortable to me(I feel like my fingers are stucked together, and it seems like it reduces my speed). I've never seen anyone(besides on TV) able to do that, which makes me comfortable in positions others would despise. Like for my fretting hands, a note people would only be able to fret with their pinkies, I can fret it with my 3rd finger, or even my 2nd one in some cases. The point : everyone is comfortable in his personnal way and I do not think you can force someone to be. Only they feel their hands and what they're doing, making them the only persons who can judge if they are comfortable or not.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Nov 20, 2007,
There's no set way of how to hold a pick. It's whatever is comfortable for you. Personally, my picking hand is like John Petrucci. I hold the pick between my thumb and index finger with my pinky curled around the bridge pickup. Then when you look at Marty Friedman, I don't see how his style could be comfortable but apparently it is for him.
Quote by Matthew P.
Ok so here's the deal. I'm trying to teach one of my friends how to play guitar. I've showed him how to play G A D C F E power chords bar chords stuff like that. He's starting to get it to where we can strum alone at the same time but the only problem is he keeps losing his pick or he has to stop about every minute or so to adjust it. I've showed him how I hold a pick so many times but he's not getting it. Maybe I'm doing something with it that I just don't recognize myself or something. I don't remember having that much of a problem holding a pick. At least not for as long as it's been. Any suggestions on what I can say to him (or I'll show him this thread) to help him out would be very helpful.

Please. It's giving me a headache.

Every one holds a pick a little different so just let him figure it out
+1. There is no rule on how to hold your pick. Look at Marty Friedman. Pretty uncomfortable but I think it works for him right? I would never hold the pick like that because I can't. The point is whatever is comfortable for you.

Just play as much as possible and your hands are going to figure that out for themselves.

Quote by Junior#1
There's no set way of how to hold a pick. It's whatever is comfortable for you. Personally, my picking hand is like John Petrucci. I hold the pick between my thumb and index finger with my pinky curled around the bridge pickup. Then when you look at Marty Friedman, I don't see how his style could be comfortable but apparently it is for him.
Quote by sock_demon

Image tags are a lifesaver

yea thats a pretty good example. the only thing i dont like is how much pick is showing. when i hold mine i keep most of it under the thumb and only really play with the tip. if i let too much out i get all choppy sounding.