http://media.putfile.com/sweeps-28

it's like i can throw in 2 or 3 arpeggios that sound good together but i dont know where to go after that
maybe in time.. i've only been playing for a year.

anyone had similar problems writing starting out?
is there some kind of theory behind writing sweeping solos, or do you just write what sounds good??

and before you think "sweeping after just a year?!"... well, it's not like i'm playing totally cleanly.
I have played a little over a half year and I can do some Yngwie Malmsteen sweeps. But seriously, I haven't got a clue. Are you telling me you wanna write completely sweep picking solos? Sounds a little silly to me. xD But it has been done before, I know that.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
no, not completely sweep.. just majority. of course i'd add in some scale usage. i'm just having problems using more sweeps.
i have been working on sweeps for about 3 months and I still haven't got it i can do the 3 string 1's but i wanna play some trivium but i need to learn the 6 strings
Learn your scales and modes and how to triads are made. Then you'll understand and be able to pull stuff together.

That being said, I'd advise against making a solo of just arpeggios. Yeah that section of Serrana is sick, but it's more of a workout than anything else. Sweeping is best used as flavor or a way to quickly jump octaves to me.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by troyponce
Learn your scales and modes and how to triads are made. Then you'll understand and be able to pull stuff together.

That being said, I'd advise against making a solo of just arpeggios. Yeah that section of Serrana is sick, but it's more of a workout than anything else. Sweeping is best used as flavor or a way to quickly jump octaves to me.

okay.... it's not like i'd join a band just to sweep and wank the whole time and try to become the next dragonforce. i just like arpeggios. do you guys like the human abstract?

i think i have my scales down, and i'll work on the rest. thanks guys.
Quote by cloud041089
okay.... it's not like i'd join a band just to sweep and wank the whole time and try to become the next dragonforce. i just like arpeggios. do you guys like the human abstract?

i think i have my scales down, and i'll work on the rest. thanks guys.

I really do dig Human Abstract (they are rocking my last.fm charts right now), but they also constantly fall back on the same arpeggio patterns over and over again and focus too much on the technique rather than musicality of it. I'm hoping their second album will depart from that, but who knows... either way, take the advice I just gave you and you'll be able to write stuff like the Mea Culpa outro in no time.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Learn about chord progressions and make sure you know how to build sweep patterns.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
dude you have 1 year experience bro, rather learn some covers, like yngwie and becker to get an idea of wat to do. if you have one year i doubt you have done harmony and modes yet and diminshed lick and wat not. first get your technique down and than start playing songs that incorporate it, it only helps if you do
i cover the human abstract and BTBAM. obviously not very well yet but im getting there. thanks.
If you come up with a good sounding chord progression, try sweeping through the arps to see how it sounds. Also make sure you use different sweeping shapes and try to slide between them, and stuff like that..

I find that the best way to use sweeps is kind of as little transitions in my solos, like if i want to go high on the neck a quick couple sweeps and I'm there. Also just playing chords and sweeping over them is good for intros and such