I wanna know what's the best scales to learn for playing stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera. Stuff like that. I can play rhythm but when it comes to soloing, I suck. I don't know where to start. There's so many scales. I just wanna know what's best for someone who wants to start soloing.
I think they use the blues scale alot, but i don't know. However, the blues scale is very useful.
Am i on fire? OHHH NOOOO!!! I'M ON FIREEEEEE

Yeah I'd go for pentatonics first, then blues scale (you're basically adding a few - blue - notes), then major and minor (subtract the blue notes, and add some other notes). That's the order I did it in anyway.
Pentatoincs are probably the most useful IMO.
Penatonics Minor/Major +1

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave
I dont wanna die, Im a god, why cant I live on?
When the life giver dies, all around is laid to waste.
And in my last hour,
Im a slave to the power of death

Member Of The Jagermeister Fan Club
If you want to play Metallica, Pantera etc, then you can just learn there songs.

however, if you want to write music similar to theirs, you must learn the basic major theory first. Then you will be able to start writing riffs. When you have riffs, you may want to learn different scales for soloing, perhaps the pentatonics a mentioned.

the FAQ sticky is fairly useful for basics.
Learn and understand the major scales. Most of the songs the bands you listed make are in the natural minor scale, which is the aeolian mode of the major scale. Fully grasping the major scale will help you to understand the minor scale.
^I think what you hate is the way people use them. Creative people with unique phrasing can make pentatonics sound interesting.
Quote by werty22
^I think what you hate is the way people use them. Creative people with unique phrasing can make pentatonics sound interesting.

That is true, I also like blues scale better better than pent, but id learn blues scale and youve practically learned both minor pent and blues if you do that.
Quote by werty22

yeah. I mean, look at eric johnson. no one can call him boring.
The blues scale. Work off the tritone and add chromatic passing notes.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by Spamwise
yeah. I mean, look at eric johnson. no one can call him boring.

Stop stealing my comments

Cheers for listening to eric johnson though
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Natural major/minor scale with the knowledge of how to use accidentals and how to phrase.

Stuff all other scales. In knowing which accidentals to use, you can sound bluesy, ethnic, eastern, anything. The only time I would use another scale is when the chord progression is something weird, like i - V7 (harmonic minor).
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Hi

I think when you will play stuff like megadeth etc. you should learn 3 Notes per string scales.

First learn the blues pentatonic scales, then natural minor/major, then harmonic minor and then melodic minor.

I did it with this great book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Scale-Book-Troy-Stetina/dp/0793597889/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195247205&sr=8-4

But don´t rush when you learn scales !
It isn´t useful when you just learn the scales by rote you have to use them in improvisation or in songs !

Another good book for practising scales is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Mechanics-Lead-Guitar-Stetina/dp/0793509629/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195247205&sr=8-3

There you have especially excersises for blues pentatonic and natural minor/major scales.
Of course for practising scales you also can play songs