I played on this way cool amp the other day where it had some weird knobs I haven't seen before. It had a volume knob and this "hotplate" knob. Basically, if you turned the volume knob up and the hotplate down, you'd get the tube distortion that you'd have at a loud volume, but you'd keep your ear drums. I think the hotplate knob had a sign by it that said "attenuator", but that may have been something else.

Electronically speaking, what's going on?
Quote by flashbandit
I played on this way cool amp the other day where it had some weird knobs I haven't seen before. It had a volume knob and this "hotplate" knob. Basically, if you turned the volume knob up and the hotplate down, you'd get the tube distortion that you'd have at a loud volume, but you'd keep your ear drums. I think the hotplate knob had a sign by it that said "attenuator", but that may have been something else.

Electronically speaking, what's going on?

I believe these are variable resistors that are positioned before and after the preamp, i may be wrong, what kind of amp was it?
It's variable resistors after the power amp and before the speakers. It makes it so you can crank your amp and drive your power tubes which sounds different than simply driving preamp tubes.
Not taking any online orders.
So is "hotplate" just a commercial name that sounds cool? I mean, is there any technological reason it's named that? And wouldn't a pot after the poweramp need to have WAY high ratings since it's so powerful? Are those expensive?
It's not just a pot. It's a bit more complicated than that because you have to keep the load on the output trasformer the same too. The attenuator needs to have the right watt rating and typically you want to double the rating that your amps output is. If you have a 50 watt amp you need a 100 watt attenuator.

and yes, hotplate is just a commercial name that sounds cool. I think they got it because they do get physically hot, but thats just a guess.
Not taking any online orders.
the amp was a thd
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff