For my Intro to Comm. Major Paper, i'm doing Music's effect on youth, and for one of my subtopics, I'm doing music controversy.

I've been scouring Google for a while, with little luck, does anybody know any sites or anything that can provide me some important events in the history of music that have led to widespread controversy?

The Pit's usually a great help for this kinda stuff.

Cheers.
Well, there's John Lennon saying the Beatles were more popular than Jesus. Or "Louie, Louie" by the Kingsmen supposedly being Satanic or something. Those are the ones I can think of right away.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Charles Mason and his beatles lyrics new world order thing....
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Quote by aprescott_27
Well, there's John Lennon saying the Beatles were more popular than Jesus. Or "Louie, Louie" by the Kingsmen supposedly being Satanic or something. Those are the ones I can think of right away.

yeah the Lennon thing would be the best. You could probably to Columbine and how it was supposedly related to Marylin Manson.
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
Judas Priest getting in trouble because a fan killed himself and it was claimed in one of their songs that, when played backwards, it told him to do it. It was a load of bull and the case was thrown out.
It's gonna be a blue day
So what...metallica do an ace cover of it but i can't remeber who did the original. When that was first released it was like immediatly banned and the goverment hated the band that did it
Am i on fire? OHHH NOOOO!!! I'M ON FIREEEEEE

Ouu, thanks guys.

I actually meant it to be more like, the Columbine shooting and Marilyn Manson type controversy, cause it like relates to adolescents which is my topic.
revolver magazine did an article a couple months ago detailing crimes that have had tie ins with music. It might be what your looking for
Quote by masterk1818
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-984140059732076297&q=%22music+and+your+mind%22&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

This was our video we did for a class, nothing to do with history but it is sort of what your talking about, basically we took a test subject me, and made me listen to different types of music and see what effect they had on me

kinda entertaining

edit:What's the name of that techno song at beginning. Catchy as all hell

edit edit: what grade did you get on this haha
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
Last edited by Chikitty_China at Nov 15, 2007,
What about Ice T's band Body Count. They stirred up some controversy. Also, the release of McCartney could be mentioned.
Quote by Chikitty_China
kinda entertaining

edit:What's the name of that techno song at beginning. Catchy as all hell

edit edit: what grade did you get on this haha

question 1 popcorn

question 2- c...we didnt follow directions hahah
How about you include the case of the guy killing himself and the parents saying it was because of the song "Suicidal Solution"
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by Chikitty_China
yeah the Lennon thing would be the best. You could probably to Columbine and how it was supposedly related to Marylin Manson.

Quote by aprescott_27

Both of you should listen to Ballad of The Kingsmen by Todd Snider, it talks of both of these things specifically.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Wasn't there a guy who claimed Prowler by Iron Maiden or a song by AC/DC was what influenced him to go and rape and murder young girls... this was back in the 70s or 80s that this happened.

Music controversy=napster
Right?

Judas Priest's incident with the guy who killed himself

Stairway to Heaven Backward

Some parents believed that Deicide and other death metal supposedly made their son form a cult with his friends and all killed themselves... it was funny because they called Slayer Death metal in the article. hahaha. I think it happened in Italy too.

Paul McCartney's supposable death on the beatles' albums and refrences to him being dead.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

umm, this might not be what your looking for, but here in poland we have an asshat who made a list of (metal) bands that are supposedly promoting 'satanism'.

i'll see if i can find something abouit...i think there was an article about it on UG awhile ago
The media claiming Marilyn Manson was responsible for Columbine, even though the killers didn't listen to his music.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Slayer having their ads being banned in certain states, Slayer being banned from performing in a state (), black shirts being banned in... wherever it was.

Metal bands in Iraq and the surounding nations.
Do it about Wal-Mart going against free speech by refusing to sell "Parental Advisory" CDs, yet they do sell R rated movies (which would be much more influential to the young person's mind).
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
You can't find anything on music controversy? Are you serious? Just Google Tipper Gore. There was a HUGE music controversy about censorship in the 80s.

+1

It wa called the P.M.R.C. they were a group of washington wives led by Tipper Gore who tried to have all kinds of metal and hard rock banned .
I remember when all this was going on, as I was teenager then and right into Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and bands like that.
There used to be a good clip of Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister in court talking to the committee members. He was actually quite intelligent and well spoken and put them all in their places.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
How about the story of Mayhem? This is from Metal-Archives...

Euronymous opened up a small underground Metal store named �Helvete�, Norwegian for 'Hell'. The store became a major spot for many Black Metal bands and members of the scene to gather. Euronymous was the major figurehead of the groups, and created a group for the �Elite� Black Metal followers/band members to be involved in, calling themselves �The Inner Circle�. Some members would preach to each other on destroying and defiling churches, graveyards, and anything of Christian belief. Euronymous firmly expressed his hope that Black Metal could incite young people to violence, torture, murder, and pain. He also owned an underground label �Deathlike Silence�, which name was inspired in a Sodom song. He released albums from such cult bands as Merciless, Burzum, Enslaved, Sigh and Abruptum.

Dead committed suicide in 1991 by shooting himself in the mouth with a shotgun after cutting his wrists with a machete. The bullets had been given to him by Varg Vikerness. Varg (Count Grishnack) knew that Dead used to practice with a shotgun in the forest close to the hut where the guys of Mayhem lived. He detested Euronymous musical tastes about electronic music, needing to leave the house to relax. His body (wearing an ``I Love Transylvania`` shirt and leaving a suicide note saying ``Excuse all the Blood``) was discovered at his room. Euronymous took some pictures (one of them appearing as the cover of the infamous �Dawn Of Black Hearts� bootleg album) of the suicide and scene. A legend was created, and it was said that Euronymous had cooked and eaten pieces of Dead's brain. It was also said that fragments of Dead's skull had been collected and forged into necklaces that both Euronymous and Hellhammer wore as a tribute to Dead. Hellhammer was even rumoured to play the drums with Dead's bones live. Of course the truth was never as macabre as people would have liked to be. Dead committed suicide not because his love to underground, but because of his deception when seeing that Mayhem was still a very little band besides all the optimistic views of Euronymous and living away from his home (he was swedish) in a strange place where he almost didn�t have friends.

Dead was replaced by Occultus, ex-singer of Thy Abhorrent and partner of Euronymous in the �Helvete� shop. He sang and played the bass in Mayhem for a few months, but soon he decided to quit.

On August 10th, 1993, Varg Vikernes murdered Euronymous in his apartment. Their relationship before the murder was tense, as their friendship and music relationship started going downhill. Varg, who had started to play the bass in Mayhem, killed him due to jealousy, but also because Euronymous still had to pay him a lot of money. Varg was never paid for what he had released through Deathlike Silence Records. Euronymous was found in his underwear, with 23 inflicted stab wounds with a knife. Varg was rumoured to try and outdo his rival's (Faust of Emperor) murder, wherein he led a homosexual man back to his house and stabbed him to death. At his trial, Vikerness came into court with his long hair made into pigtails, and denying his involvement in Euronymous's death. He giggled and laughed throughout the trial. He was convicted of the murder and was sentenced to 21 years in prison (the maximum possible sentence in Norway). When police arrested Varg, he was found with over 150 KG of stolen dynamite and plans to destroy Nidarosdomen, a large Christian church in Trondheim, on a religious holiday. Although, Varg Vikernes has a different story to the reasons for killingh Euronymous (see www.burzum.org for articles Varg composed himself explaining the murder.)

After the trial, the mother of Euronymous told Hellhammer to delete the bass lines that had been recorded by Varg. He said to her that he would personally play the bass, but the truth is that he had no idea of playing this instrument, so the album remained the same, featuring Varg Vikerness on it. Other rumours about Occultus playing the new bass lines are thought to be false as well.

Their gigs featured heavy atmospheric effects such as severed pig heads impaled on wooden spikes. The band's clothes were buried days/weeks before the show, and were exhumed decayed, soiled, and full of insects. Pieces of rotting meat were thrown into the audience and given to people to devour or rip on the spot. Dead Ravens were placed in bags so band members could continually smell decay and death. Members were also noted on slicing themselves open during the show.

Sorry for the HUGE quote, but its a good read. That'll give you plenty of material.