I've been considering buying an Epiphone Les Paul Custom( $650 with gator case), but have been told that I might want to just upgrade my Strat. What should I do??? I love Les Pauls, but don't have a lot of money. I currently play a Squire Affinity Strat. It is red with a Rosewood fretboard. I don't have any pics, but here is a link to basically what I have: http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU310600
I have a Fender Amp (don't have specifics, it's just a practice amp), a Zoom effects pedal (the 105 i think), and I play anything from Guns N' Roses to Rage Against Machine. (SLASH is my fav. guitarist). So someone give me some advice on this.
Get the Les Paul. The Epi is MUCH better than the one you have now, and even if you get upgrades done on your strat, it still won't be that great, because it's a squire. Plus, Slash plays Les Pauls exclusively.
If you LOVE les pauls dont BLOW $650 on an epiphone!!! yur half way to a gibson les paul studio! Or... blow the $650 on a decent amp. then save for a gibson les paul.
Gear nut
Never, In Any Way, Try And Upgrade A Squeire!!! Buy Another Guitar If You Think You Need It
The Les Paul will be very different to the strat, both in tone and playability.

I would definately go for the Epiphone over modding a squier - the LP will be a far superior guitar and since you're into G'n'R, the LP is what you want
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Upgrade your strat, you will save money which you could put towards an amp, and it can become awesome if you put the right things into the strat.
Alright so theres a couple thing I want to say.

1st
Les Pauls and Strats are COMPLETLY different guitars. But judging by the type of music you like to play I'd say go with a Les Paul because it has a "heavier" tone.

2nd
Depending on what amp you have it's probably a better idea to get a new amp than to get a new guitar. It terms of tone the amp is probably more important. If you got a nice Les Paul or Strat and played it through a Fender practice amp it would still sound pretty ****ty. You need a decent amp to get the full tone out of your guitar.

3rd
What Strat would you get over the Epiphone Les Paul Custom?A standard MIM Fender?
You Look Like I Need A Drink
Quote by Wilson6
Never, In Any Way, Try And Upgrade A Squeire!!! Buy Another Guitar If You Think You Need It

Yes, You Are Right, Because Typing Like This Means You Are Instantly Correct.

But in all seriousness, that post was completely noobish. Squier (maybe i should just call it sqiuieirer) affinity strats are good for upgrading, they are made of alder, and with a good setup actually play pretty nicely. I'm gonna upgrade mine eventually
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
if you want a nice upper-mid range guitar, now. buy the epi. the strat idea would be cool, but the epi will be better.

however, you can wait, maybe fix up ur strat, and wait until u can get a rly rly nice high end guitar
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by mrryan
If you LOVE les pauls dont BLOW $650 on an epiphone!!! yur half way to a gibson les paul studio! Or... blow the $650 on a decent amp. then save for a gibson les paul.

the les paul studio is a piece of ****. i'd take the Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top anyday. i'd drop in a decent set of humbuckers in there.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Go with the LP. You might wanna get the Gibson LP Studio like the person said somewhere above or a LP Vintage Mahogany.

I recommend the Gibson LP Studio and I completely disagree with the dude right above me. Gibson LPs no matter what are not sh*t.
the studio one is. its nothing like a standard.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
jesus guys, nothing that comes from gibson and costs 1400 is a piece of ****. especially not to a guy considering spending half that on an epiphone.
Gear nut
personally, i go with strats because of the whammy bar, but if you love slash, go with the les paul
hue
Maybe a used yamaha sg1000 off ebay? Amazing Les Pau-esque tones.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Thanks guys. i was pretty sure i was gonna go with the LP, but just wanted some more opinions. Oh, and to the guy that says to buy the Gibson Studio, If i wanted to blow that much money on anything, it would be an amp and wah pedal. I am not paying double the price just so my guitar says "Gibson" instead of "Epiphone". I just want a LP with the following crt: square or trapezoidal inlays, covered humbuckers, an ebony finish, and either gold or chrome acc. If i want it to sound like a Gibson, I'll upgrade it. Oh, and thanks for the advice on buying an amp instead, but when I play shows, I use my friend's amp (don't know what kind it is, that's why i didn't list it).
Quote by Blktiger0
Thanks guys. i was pretty sure i was gonna go with the LP, but just wanted some more opinions. Oh, and to the guy that says to buy the Gibson Studio, If i wanted to blow that much money on anything, it would be an amp and wah pedal. I am not paying double the price just so my guitar says "Gibson" instead of "Epiphone". I just want a LP with the following crt: square or trapezoidal inlays, covered humbuckers, an ebony finish, and either gold or chrome acc. If i want it to sound like a Gibson, I'll upgrade it. Oh, and thanks for the advice on buying an amp instead, but when I play shows, I use my friend's amp (don't know what kind it is, that's why i didn't list it).

gibsons are better quality than epiphones.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by bodomfan666

Wow, you quoted my entire response just to say that........Which happens to be information I already know. That is why I said I could upgrade it, but in my current financial situation, I AM NOT spending more than $700 on a guitar.
Quote by Slash 602
Get the Les Paul. The Epi is MUCH better than the one you have now, and even if you get upgrades done on your strat, it still won't be that great, because it's a squire. Plus, Slash plays Les Pauls exclusively.

But he plays £2000 ones lol
Manchester United
Quote by bodomfan666

Depends higher end Epis are better than lower end Gibson
Manchester United
how this thread went straight to the ****ter after Blktiger0 commented back.. there is some flawed-ass reasoning from then on.
Gear nut
Quote by mrryan
jesus guys, nothing that comes from gibson and costs 1400 is a piece of ****. especially not to a guy considering spending half that on an epiphone.

yea. it is. it's 1200, and it is a piece of ****. it's better than an epiphone standard... but there are better epiphones than the gibson les paul studio.

but i still think gibson makes good stuff. but the least i'd spend is on the LP classics which are i believe $1700.

and for a guy not wanting to spend $700 on a guitar, I must say Epiphone. either custom, standard, or classic quilt top.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Love LPS. Gettin a Epi Les Paul Standard Plus heritage cherry sunburst. I also have a squier strat red.
Last Option Rocks
lp
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module