Poll: Which finger method do you use/recommend?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which finger method do you use/recommend?
Method 1 - Traditional
27 51%
Method 2 - Newer (recommended by JustinGuitar.com)
9 17%
Method 3 - Barre
17 32%
Voters: 53.
I'm new to the guitar and I've seen three different ways to finger the A major chord. Which one do you play/recommend?

Method 1:
Finger 1 on 4th string second fret
Finger 2 on 3rd string second fret
Finger 3 on 2nd string second fret

Method 2:
Finger 2 on 4th string second fret
Finger 1 on 3rd string second fret
Finger 3 on 2nd string second fret

Method 3:
Finger 1 on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string on second fret (barre)
Last edited by ConstantChange at Nov 15, 2007,
If you can bend the tip of your finger you can just use your index finger across those 3 strings.
I haven't had any lesson's on barre chords, but that seems to be the easiest way for me. I have pretty big hands. I usually get buzz from my 4th string with method 1 because finger 1 is so far away from the fret.
95% of the time, method one. by a country mile

if you have to drop into an a7 really really quickly maybe method 2, but rarely
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I don't do any of those. I use 2nd finger on the 5th string, 3rd finger on the 4th, and 4th finger on the 2nd. It's by far the most comfortable for me.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Method 1, or an E shape barre (577655), depending on the song. If you're new I think you should stick to method 1 or 2 since method 3 doesn't lead into A shape barre chords very well.

If you're fingers are big you could treat it like an A shape barre chord but just not use your index finger (ie: finger with 2,3,4).
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
I only use my middle and ring fingers for an A chord, and this leaves my other two to transition into 7ths and the like. I guess I'm weird, but I don't buzz, and I have no trouble going from A to any other chord, nor back to A.
I use method 3 except i use my middle finger instead of my index. The last joint of my middle finger fits in there sweet and barres those 3 strings without muting the high E. That is how i usually play it unless the song calls for the A to change to another chord which makes it impractical to do so. Eg: an Asus2 (x02200) or an A7 (X02020) in which case i would use method one, but instead of using fingers 1,2 and 3 i would use fingers 2,3 and 4 in order to keep my index finger free.
I'm just having a hell of a time playing method 1. My fourth string buzzes 90% of the time. In order to fit all my fingers in the second fret, my first finger is basically touching the first fret. I can't get it close enough to the second fret to get a clear sound.

Is the A major chord usually this much of a pain for beginners?
I use 2. It makes moving to E or D much easier as you're keeping the first finger on the same string. I always done that, didn't realise someone was claiming it a 'new' method. I should sue
I either use Method 3 or fingers 2, 3 & 4.
Method 3 just makes it easier to add extra notes with other fingers.
The "2-3-4" version just makes it the little bit easier to switch to other chords.
404: Sig not found.
I use either 1 or 2... depends on the chord-progress of the song

If I go from A major to well... another Major in the same grip I'll choose method 2 and if I'll go to G major or something (open chord) then I'll chose method 1
I barr it myself.
"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
it really depends on the context, but i tend to barre it, because i often play melodies simultaneously using other fingers
Quote by AussieVesti
I prefer Method 2. That's how I learnt it.

^^
since I'm a noob, that way makes it easier to transfer to D.
Resurrecting an old thread, rather than starting a new but I use fingering 1-2, and have begun to move away from the 3-1-2 fingering in Justin's course.

Anyone else using 1-2, where 2 bars the G and B strings, and finger 1 presses on the D string? I find it far more efficient transitioning to most other chords.
transwarp

I feel like I use em all situationally.
If i barre it with one finger I can use the other fingers to make other transitional chords like an Asus4.
If I don't barre it, than it's easier for me to transition to other chords.
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
I use all three.

I noticed Justinguitar (recommended my Girlfriend is just starting and she has been beating up his site) uses the second method that you posted, but there is a pretty good reason, he uses index as a reference when changing to other chords. Which immediately made me pick up a guitar and see what I did, and the answer is it varies depending on what I am doing and the chords I am playing both before and after.

I default to method 1, that is just how I learned it, method 2 has advantages both in the Justin's switching methods, and that it crams more fingers closer to the fret itself which means that you need less pressure. The barre is a barre, either you use it or you don't, but its a handy technique to have in the tool chest, again because if you are playing a barred prgression you can use that barre on the a and jump right back into a barred B or C or whatever without wildly changing your hand position, you just add the ring and pinky back to the shape.
It varies. If I'm playing an A major chord just for the sake of playing an A major chord, I use method one. But if I'm playing it as part of a song, it depends on the context. I might use method one, or two, or three, or maybe barre it with a different finger depending on what precedes it and what follows it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I use my 2nd finger on the 4th string 3rd on the 3rd and fourth on the second makes it easier to slide to B that way for me anyways
Wise man once said, " If you ever get lost in the woods, just start jacking off someone will see you."
I find the easiest way to finger anything is with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers, using the 1st finger primarily as a barre or as the lowest fretting finger. So for the A chord, which for me translates to the 'A chord shape', I would always use 2nd finger on 2nd fret 4th string, 3rd finger on 2nd fret 3rd string, 4th finger on 2nd fret 2nd string, muting 6th string. Using the 1st finger as kind of a "movable nut" ensures all chords and melodies are transposable, and not restricted to just 1 key (the so called open key, or zeroth fret key).
I originally learnt to use index and middle finger, butted together to hold down the 3 strings. This is a variation on post #10, who uses middle and ring finger.
I now mainly use method 3, as I can bend the joint in my index finger back so that it doesn't mute the high e string. 
Its really up to personal preference, depending on how fat your fingers are, how long, how pointy your finger tips are, and what you originally learnt.
Next time you all need to look at how old a thread is.  And transwarp, please don't knowingly resurrect 10 year old threads; if you have a question please start a new thread to keep the purpose and conversation clear and easier to follow.

Closed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.