I've only been taking guitar lessons for about a year now, so I'm still fairly new to the game and very inexperienced when it comes to knowledge. I'll be getting a Schecter soon, but I have no idea what kind of amp to get. At first, I was thinking about a Marshall or a Mesa Boogie, but Mesa Boogies are way out of my price range. However, I'm open to any kind of suggestions. My budget range can't exceed around $600, but if there is a pretty good amp for $700-800, then I can at least hear about it. My favorite bands are Avenged Sevenfold, Velvet Revolver, Nightwish, and Pantera. Can anyone help me pick out a good amp for hard rock/metal? I can definitely use some help, and it would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by MementoMori1313 at Nov 15, 2007,
JCM 800 used
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I'd rather go with a Peavey 5150/6505. It has a good crunch and should do the Velvet Tones without problems (it has a great EVH tone IMO) and the heay stuff will work great on it. Many people believe the JCM800's are massive gain mosters, but they really aren't (at least the one channel) and it has just enough gain for Guns N' Roses.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
either a peavey valveking, marshall anything or listen to the other guys that kno more
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
well if u want a good amp with heavy distortion go for a spider 3.but if u are using multi effect pedals or just regular distortion pedals i suggest a fender amp.i feel that fender amps have a really awesome vintage feel to it.if u add some heavy sick awesome distortion bam.u got urself the perfect tone.

equipment:
ibanez rg 350z limited edition white guitar
fender squier black guitar
fender amp special reverb edition
digitech multi effect pedal rp150
valveking wouldnt cut it. the jcm would do it with a boost definitely. With the 5150 you'll be losing out on cleans (if you like your cleans pristine) so it depends were your priorities lie. If you rarely use clean then it'd be a swell choice, if you do plan to use them to some extent, I would steer clear of it, granted the cleans aren't just quite as bad as a lot of people say, but it's definitely not good cleans
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
almost forgot.heh. i suggest the fender frontman 212r.its like 400 bucks.100 watts is all u really need for a gig.and since u'll have money left over i suggest u get either digitechs death metal pedal or the boss metal zone pedal.peace out
Quote by freak180
well if u want a good amp with heavy distortion go for a spider 3.but if u are using multi effect pedals or just regular distortion pedals i suggest a fender amp.i feel that fender amps have a really awesome vintage feel to it.if u add some heavy sick awesome distortion bam.u got urself the perfect tone.

equipment:

One, add the equipment to your sig.

Secondly the Spider isn't a good amp and he has a larger pricerange...

Quote by freak180
almost forgot.heh. i suggest the fender frontman 212r.its like 400 bucks.100 watts is all u really need for a gig.and since u'll have money left over i suggest u get either digitechs death metal pedal or the boss metal zone pedal.peace out

That amp sucks BALLS too!
So does the death metal

Quote by freak180
100 watts is all u really need for a gig

NO
I have a 30 watt Orange Rocker 30 valve amp. I had it on 3 at a gig for about 500 people, unmiced in a school auditorium.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by Gabel at Nov 15, 2007,
well what about an Engl screamer?
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
ill tell you what NOT to get:

Marshall MGs
Line 6 Spiders
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
i would imagine the screamer goes for a fair bit more than $800, considering they are £600 new here, maybe you can find a very good used deal
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
well but i should mention that the extra charge is very worth it's price;
i would really go for it; its a very versatile amp and you can play everything from rock to the blackest metal...ah and you have brilliant cleans too!!!

edit: just read, that you like Pantera - go for the ****ing Engl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
i know it sounds nubish but i picked up a Marshall MG100DFX and cab used for 250 in nearly mint condition and its a great beginnaer halfstack. you can get nicer tube amps for the money though. but if you want something small to mess with Spiders are nice choices. but dont get the line threes, there expensive and just come with preset tones. i think its important to develope your own stlye and sound, and the spiders 2s have the same tones and sounds, you just need to shape them yourself. and it also has the same storage system.
Quote by freak180

equipment:

Quote by freak180

that's some of the worst suggestions imaginable, worst amps and pedals combined....id go for the 5150/6150 combo and possibly get some kind of chorus pedal for the cleans

EDIT: forgot about the carvin combo legacy or V3 combo
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Nov 15, 2007,
If you can go used. Deffinately check out a Mesa F-30 or F-50 should fit your needs nearly perfectly.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd say surf ebay for a JCM 800. But you're limiting yourself to the amp's lead channel. You could get something like a roland jc-120 and then put a Metal Zone in front of it. That would be killer. (jc-200 goes for like 400-500 used on ebay)
Quote by Teh GIR
ill tell you what NOT to get:

Marshall MGs
Line 6 Spiders

What's wrong with Marshall MGs?
Quote by MementoMori1313

Use search...you'll find your answer...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
my suggestion is get either the marshall MG100 half-stack, the randall 100W half stack or the crate half stack. i've had my MG for a year now, and it is awesome. the overdrive is pretty damn good even without a pedal.
Marshall DSL/TSL series, i think they sound good for allot kuz there so verstile (used of course) there not that expensive used, I think it worth working for
Quote by MementoMori1313

Everything.

I just saw some dude's sig "Line 6 Spiders give you aids, cancer and tone herpies."
Same goes for Marshall MG's.
I can vouch for the 5150! Its freaking amazing . But id just get the 6505+/5150 II just to have an extra eq to set it for cleans (which arent too terribly bad). For distortion its one of the best for the price.
we must become the change we want to see.
try krank or marshall or randall or line 6. dont go for things like rolands or oranges there no way near metally
Clapton is God

fender telecaster custom
cry baby wah
digitech death metal
dan electro delay
korg multi effects
boss chromatic tuner
marshall VALVESTATE 8040

oasis acoustic (wonderwall video)
Quote by trivium_rock
try krank or marshall or randall or line 6. dont go for things like rolands or oranges there no way near metally

Roland can handle metall.
Notice how everybody who suggested crappy SS amps, especially MGs and Spiders, have poor spelling/grammar. Never trust someone who couldn't pass a fifth grade english class.

My suggestion would be a used 6505 combo, I got mine for $580 and I love it. Despite what a lot of people say, you can get some pretty decent cleans out of it if you roll back your volume knob.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by MasterPandaMike
i know it sounds nubish but i picked up a Marshall MG100DFX and cab used for 250 in nearly mint condition and its a great beginnaer halfstack. you can get nicer tube amps for the money though. but if you want something small to mess with Spiders are nice choices. but dont get the line threes, there expensive and just come with preset tones. i think its important to develope your own stlye and sound, and the spiders 2s have the same tones and sounds, you just need to shape them yourself. and it also has the same storage system.

I agree with the sensible people above, a 5150/6505 sounds perfect.