I am starting my first lesson this weekend after 1 year of playing on my own. I have no idea what to expect, what do I look for in a good teacher? In other words what should he be teaching me? He charges quite a bit ( $40/hour)
40$ isn't bad thats the same as mine. well just make sure he has a very high knowledge in music theory since that will come in handy.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Well, you'll want him to teach you theory, but that's kind of a no brainer
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
A good teacher will help you work on playing AND understanding the guitar. A bad teacher will have you learn a bunch of chords and play some songs.
The only things you need out of a guitar teacher (I THINK)... is...

1) Someone to show you the right technique and good habits
2) To push you to progress

Other than that... Unless you're a jazzer or something, I think private teachers are a waste of time.
1. Theroy
2. Technique
3. How to Practice
4. Tabbing Service
5. Maybe a recording studio, Mine does.
6. HElp you when your stuck.

Nots
1. Plays long solos during your time.
Quote by Jason_Parker
The only things you need out of a guitar teacher (I THINK)... is...

1) Someone to show you the right technique and good habits
2) To push you to progress

Other than that... Unless you're a jazzer or something, I think private teachers are a waste of time.

well, right now I am stuck and don't what i should be learning or practicing. So I am hoping a teacher can get me back on track
Quote by dewdadrew
1. Theroy
2. Technique
3. How to Practice
4. Tabbing Service
5. Maybe a recording studio, Mine does.
6. HElp you when your stuck.

Nots
1. Plays long solos during your time.

good info, thanks
Well, a few things to look for in a guitar teacher are:

1. Make sure the teacher has a genuine passion for guitar. Trust me, my guitar teacher loved music, and it makes the whole lesson fun, and makes it easier to learn.

2. Make sure they teach you, not just solo and play riffs the whole time. Sure, it's fun to talk to your teacher, and get to know them (my guitar teacher and I are good friends now) but make sure you are getting your money's worth, and not paying to socialize, or hear their new riff they wrote.

3. Make sure that, although they teach you basic techniques, scales, theory, and other necessities, they also teach you music that you want to play.

Well, besides what i said, and what the other people said above, just make sure that they are a person you can get along with, and learn from. And just remember, if guitar becomes a chore, rather than something you love, then you are definitely not getting worthwhile lessons.
Make sure they teach you ABOUT the music you play, and not just how to Play it. and also, make sure the teach how to play the Song, not just play the part from a tab or something.
Most good guitar teachers will start off in the very first lesson not by teaching you HOW to play the guitar, but more having you get to know your guitar. First day, my teacher explained to me each specific part and what it does, how they vary from one guitar to the next, etc. I think this really helps to appreciate the instrument and helps you to focus on forming a passion rather than using it as a chick magnet. Your guitar is like a girl. You can finger it and pull on its G string all day, but if you don't get to know it and form a strong bond with it, then the relationship won't really go anywhere.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.