my friend is extremley good, fast lead guitarist. he holds the pick at a diagonal direction while stricking the strings. i tried it like that and it is faster, but it starts to hurt after a very little while. when i pick with the pick normal, it doesnt hurt but its not as fast as diagonal. which way should it be held?
i've always held it the diagonal way and now im trying to do it horizontally because it makes for a better sound so i guess its personal preference.
I hold it diagonally, but not with my entire hand, I just angle it with my thumb and index finger. The pick goes in between the tip of my thumb and the SIDE of the index finger, which is why the pick goes diagonally. There is no way a pick SHOULD be helf though.
just pretty much hold it in a postion that feels comfortable. i play a lot of necrophagist and stlyes that you switch up between rhythym and leads a lot, so i pretty much have a universal way of holding it. its just the matter of how you position your hand.
if youre looking for speed try his way but only for short periods of time til you build endurance for that.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
I used to do it that way but I felt it was bad technique. I corrected it and enjoy it more now. The diagonal way felt like I was cheating, and it was the easy way out.

Although some might say, DO IT, I would tell you to think about how it might affect other things such as tone, and if you're in time.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
here's a nice video from paul gilbert... check it out!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SvMcT_NiaWo
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Pretty much personal preference, whatever way is comfortable for you.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12