Poll: which cab combination
Poll Options
View poll results: which cab combination
2 straight
1 13%
slant and straight
7 88%
Voters: 8.
should i get 2 straight cabs or a slant and a straight cab? is there any difference in sound?
Do you really need a pair of 4x12s? What amp are you currently using, and will you be playing any gigs? To be honest, a single 4x12 would be plenty, and a 2x12 would be more practical and allow you to get something of higher quality.
There is a slight difference in sound, though this isn't noticeable unless you are adept at picking out intricate details in the sound of a certain amplifier...the speakers themselves would have more to do with the tone I'd imagine.

I personally prefer visually a slanted on top of a straight cab, which is what I would have...but then it's personal preference really isn't it. You don't mic up every speaker anyway, so you can have the best of both worlds for speaker sounds through the PA with a slanted on top of a straight.

I just have a slanted cab for my half stack atm...not going to get a straight cab to put below it at the moment because a) another matching Hughes & Kettner cab would be another £750 ish, and b) I'm not sure it would fit in my mom's car with the other cab and all my gear to take to gigs lol
Quote by Denthúl
Do you really need a pair of 4x12s? What amp are you currently using, and will you be playing any gigs? To be honest, a single 4x12 would be plenty, and a 2x12 would be more practical and allow you to get something of higher quality.

+1

Heck I use a 1x12 combo, enough for me!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
i already play through a 2x12, so dont say get a 2x12. i want a stack because it looks awesome.
What amp are you using?

Well that means you don't need a stack?

Also what 4x12 cabs will you buy?
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Well the Windsor cabs aren't that good. Neither is that Marshall cab..
Instead get ONE Marshall 1960 AV or 1960X cab. Beats them by FAR!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

But, if your going to get 2 4x12, get a Marshall 1960A and 1960BV. Then swap 2 of the speakers around
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
you DON'T need 2 cabs period. Unless your going on tour.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
The slanted cab will project sound in different directions. Your tone is much different standing right in front of your speakers than standing a few feet to the side. The highs will scream at you when in direct line. I like 4X12s (I have a Marshall 1960B), but I use a pair of 2X12s a lot because they disperse sound better when angled differently, & I can move the small cabs easily to get the tone I want in every part of a room. Also, lugging around 4X12s is a major pain in the ass.
I'm too old for that crap.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011