Hey everyone, in my Philosophy class, a student has to go up every day and basically bring up a topic and debate or discuss it. Marks go to how the debate runs so I need a topic that can be argued and talked about for a while. Any ideas?
One Love

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” -Bob Marley
The existence of God... If a tree falls in the forest and no one heard it, did it happen?... What did your guitar look like before it was created?... I think therefore I am... I play guitar therefore I am.
Whether society would benefit or not from having your white ass wiped from the planet.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Only people from Ohio, frodos. And to the guy above me, you truely are a fagget.
One Love

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” -Bob Marley
Last edited by musicmyrock at Nov 15, 2007,
Quote by musicmyrock
Only people from Ohio, frodos. And to the guy above me, you truely are a fagget.

Did you just try to pull the ole` I'm rubber you're glue trick on me? I'm too cool for that.

That would be "truly" and "faggot". If you're going to be trying to cut people down, at least spell a few of the words correct please.
Last edited by denizenz at Nov 15, 2007,
Acoustic Dylan vs. Electric Dylan.
derp

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Clubbing Baby Seals. IS IT RIGHT?
Quote by Joshrocker48
I like you, as a fellow vocalist I like that you are here on UG and admit to not being a guitarist.
Bravo.

Quote by arsonite
GTFO non-guitarist!

Joke
me and my band usually have an all night acoustic band practice once a week and we'll get pretty philosophical around 3AM. i think the best idea we ever discussed was dreams. since its in your mind, every part of the dream represents a part of you. the assholes are the parts of yourself you hate. the nerds are the shy parts of you. etc. but what about the one guy whose always present in the dream, but just stands off to the side and does nothing? what purpose does he serve? also, every dream represents something...what about those ****ed up dreams? the ones that make about as much sense as the pic in the demotivational thread where darth vader is pouring water into a bucket in a river...you know...the dreams that basically divide by zero. i think you could get a good class out of a dream topic.

or a topic of mental manifestation...humans only use like 94% of their brain...well how do we access the other part...and what if we work together with others to access this. like everyone focus on a mental image (for example- a vampire) at some point in a room. would it be possible to cause its creation...sounds crazy but mutation in x-men was often people who could access stronger parts of their brain....that topic happened in my car on a camping trip this summer. it freaked us out in the middle of the woods cause everyone got paranoid til my guitarist claims he focused on a smiley face in his mind and then everyone got happy

good luck
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Should men who drink beer out of a glass (not a pint, a glass), through a straw (!!!), have the word "male" erased from their ID, driver's license and birth certificate?

And if the debate over this obviously rhetorical question ends too soon, you can ask the same question, but instead make it about men who would be ok with male pregnancy (like I saw in some thread a few days ago).
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Dreams don't necessarily have meanings, you know.
derp

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by rorythefaggot
Dreams don't necessarily have meanings, you know.

actually they do...ive studied this topic many times with professors. it doesnt matter how ****ed up your dream is, it means something.

and you have a pokemon friend ID in your sig...i feel you have lost the right to speak
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Abortion rights
Seperation of church and state
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by burgurhead1812
actually they do...ive studied this topic many times with professors. it doesnt matter how ****ed up your dream is, it means something.

and you have a pokemon friend ID in your sig...i feel you have lost the right to speak

Sorry to bump this, but I felt that this needed a counter-argument.
Actually, they don't necessarily have meanings. Several approaches postulate that dreams are caused by random brain impulses created during REM sleep, following sensory inputs taken in by the prone body. Because the body is essentially paralysed during REM, (a sensory blockade, if you will) the inputs cannot be properly processed. They get mixed up with implanted memories, which explains the personal nature of most dreams, and also suggests that dreams have no meaning because they are caused by random impulses.
There are several more, look them up. There is no definite answer to the purpose of dreams, and your view could still be viable, I'm just saying it's very narrow-minded to say that dreams ALWAYS have meanings. Besides, Freudian psychology is post-hoc bollocks.

Oh, and I play pokemon. So fucking what. That's irrelevant to what we're discussing. Speak like an adult and don't bring personal attacks into your argument, kid.
derp

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by Mad Marius
Should men who drink beer out of a glass (not a pint, a glass), through a straw (!!!), have the word "male" erased from their ID, driver's license and birth certificate?

Yes....who the **** does that?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Gay Marriage
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
Whether society would function better if we had survival of the fittest and weeded out the not so intelligent/stronger people in it.

Fck no child left behind. Anyone left behind, stays behind
Quote by tanglewoodguit
Does a Brick have a soul?

hahaha i was not expecting that, you got me
Quote by ShizNick
I once had a blind girlfriend... I used to always tell her that i was giving her a nice sticky lolly pop but it was actually my...

... nevermind. im going to hell.
Quote by Jbar
Whether society would function better if we had survival of the fittest and weeded out the not so intelligent/stronger people in it.

Fck no child left behind. Anyone left behind, stays behind

Thats social darwinism
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate