Hi guys.

Tomorrow, I'm dragging along my new Peavey 6505 to a band practise, where I'm going to play it for the first time (except for all the playing in the shop, of course).

Now both of my other guitarists in my band have been using regular instrument cables from the head to the cabinet, and never had any problems. One of them use an Ashdown Fallen Angel and an Ashdown cabinet, and the other one uses a Marshall MG100-something and an Ashdown cabinet. I was thinking of buying a speaker cable before going there because I DON'T WANT TO RISK ANYTHING.

But they keep telling me it's going to be fine, as they have been doing it for a year or so without problems. One of them tells me that as long as I don't set the impedance on my head to 16, nothing's going to happen. I have heard a lot of people talking about how you can set your head on fire if you use instrument cables, but I haven't heard a single example of it actually happening.

So is it just a load of hype? Is it okay with the impedance set to 4 or 8? Should I really just go buy a speaker cable?
well you said it in bold yourself.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Yes. Buy a speaker cable. Instrument cables are not designed to handle the load that comes from the amp, and by using one you run the risk of causing serious damage to it. A speaker cable isn't any more expensive, and buying one will mean you don't have to pay a hell of a lot more to get your amp fixed later
your friends are idiots. their cables will eventually get shot, and their amp heads will blow in the process.
I've heard horror stories about people using instrument cable for a head/cab. The cable got so hot that the solder melted off the input jack and completely disconnected the amp from the speaker load resulting in $$$$$ repairs, and blown transformers
Also make sure you're impedances are matched. In some cases you can get away with mismatching them buts its best not to.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Don't even consider using a instrument cable! Get a Speaker cable ASAP

If you run at low volumes, it can be done with a instrument cable, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially with a nice amp like a 6505!
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by TehJermie
your friends are idiots. their cables will eventually get shot, and their amp heads will blow in the process.

Amp heads don't blow by being unplugged for half a second.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
Amp heads don't blow by being unplugged for half a second.

because that is EXACTLY what i said, isn't it?
The way you phrased it kinda makes it sound like that.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
dude, you can read anything anyway you want to. i can read the bible right now and tell you that it's a commandment that everyone smoke copious amounts of marijuana. you're being anal about the wrong thing buddy.

and i can tell you right now, most people wouldnt turn off their amp the second they start having a technical problem. and it doesnt take but a second for tubes to blow. the OT will follow.
Last edited by TehJermie at Nov 15, 2007,
There have been several people on here asking why their amp head quit working after a few minutes of playing and now the lights wont even come on. The answer for em all was a guitar cable instead of a speaker cable. One guy blew 2 in one night. Another guy blew a mesa triple rectifier, brand new one. One said he figured the guy at the music store was just trying to screw him out of the few extra bucks for a speaker cable. Now we know. The books on building tube amps I have all say the same thing. NEVER turn on a tube amp with out a speaker hooked up. And NEVER substitute a guitar cable. If your friends want to do it then let em then you can laugh when the smoke comes out of their amp.
TS for one thing, at least one of ur friends is using a SS head. less likely to blow. too bad cause it's an mg but that's besides the point.

like said 3 times by gutch, just buy the correct cable.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

like said 3 times by gutch, just buy the correct cable.

computer glitch

.....also the tone WILL be better. You'll notice more bass and considerable power increase
Quote by TehJermie

+1
Tell it like it is, TJ! I couldn't believe this one.
TS-You should NEVER take ANY advice from those friends. If stupidity was painful, those guys would just be screaming & crying all day.
Sorry, I just had to say SOMETHING.
Sheesh
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
While you can skirt by using an instrument cable on a solid state as very low volumes, its not good for it. I would not use a tube without a speaker cable at any volume
Quote by riffhog
+1
Tell it like it is, TJ! I couldn't believe this one.
TS-You should NEVER take ANY advice from those friends. If stupidity was painful, those guys would just be screaming & crying all day.
Sorry, I just had to say SOMETHING.
Sheesh

i know youre a VH fan riff. keep an eye out for a special spam thread in about 10 days time. all i'll say. *cough* plex *cough*