I am just browsing through some stratocasters to look at for down the road. Right now, my setup is a Sheraton II and a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. It's a pretty sweet combination, but its a little bassier than what I want for my bluesy stuff. It would be a solely lead guitar.

So far, THE strat for me is the Eric Johnson stratocaster but Its too pricey. I love everything about the guitar though. I especially like the fast neck and frets so I want a guitar similar to that. I don't like really fat necks but I don't like thin necks either. For example, I think my Schecters Omen 6 neck is a little too thin.

The tone I am looking for is John Mayer and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Songs like Lenny, Riviera Paradise, Gravity, and Vultures. I like very clean sounds and never use overdrive other than the slightly overdriven tone in blues.

My price range is about $1,000. I can't really stretch farther than that. Any questions?

Any recomendations?
Fender Classic Player 50's or 60's strat. I have the 60's and it is ****ing awesome

It's only like $800 but is worth a lot more than they sell it for.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
an MIA standard strat with a set of texas special pickups.

job done.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
an MIA standard strat with a set of texas special pickups.

job done.

+1...or a MIM and SAVE A BUNCH OF $$$$.

If you're replacing the pups anyway, why throw down for the USA??
I dunno if it is just me, but I think that the MIA and MIM strats sound very different.

EDIT:

and the reason I wouldn't want Texas Specials is because they are overwound which would produce an earlier breakup, am i right?
Last edited by Guitar328 at Nov 15, 2007,
Quote by Guitar328
I am just browsing through some stratocasters to look at for down the road. Right now, my setup is a Sheraton II and a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. It's a pretty sweet combination, but its a little bassier than what I want for my bluesy stuff. It would be a solely lead guitar.

So far, THE strat for me is the Eric Johnson stratocaster but Its too pricey. I love everything about the guitar though. I especially like the fast neck and frets so I want a guitar similar to that. I don't like really fat necks but I don't like thin necks either. For example, I think my Schecters Omen 6 neck is a little too thin.

The tone I am looking for is John Mayer and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Songs like Lenny, Riviera Paradise, Gravity, and Vultures. I like very clean sounds and never use overdrive other than the slightly overdriven tone in blues.

My price range is about $1,000. I can't really stretch farther than that. Any questions?

Any recomendations?

How about a Carvin bolt? With your generous budget, you should be able to have exactly what you'd want. See if one's around your area (there's a beautiful black one in a restaurant I occasionally eat at), as you can't try them out otherwise.

If you still want Fender, why not a Highway One? Just upgrade the tuners to locking ones and it'll treat you well.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
How about a Carvin bolt? With your generous budget, you should be able to have exactly what you'd want. See if one's around your area (there's a beautiful black one in a restaurant I occasionally eat at), as you can't try them out otherwise.

If you still want Fender, why not a Highway One? Just upgrade the tuners to locking ones and it'll treat you well.

Doesn't the highway one have a very thick neck. Maybe im confusing it with another guitar.

as you can see, I just started looking
Quote by Guitar328
Doesn't the highway one have a very thick neck. Maybe im confusing it with another guitar.

as you can see, I just started looking

nope, it has over sized frets tho.

idk if ud like it for that sorta sound tho, cause it has overwound pickups meant for a darker sound, i played it today next to a standard MIA. if you want rock, go with the Highway, if you want more cleans and bluesy niceness, go with the MIA IMO. but yea ive heard good things about those classic players, and those vintage pups should theoretically do non-overdriven very nicely
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I don't know why people are saying you should do texas specials.

If you're looking for Eric Johnson's tone you're gonna want some SCN pickups. Much smoother and clean, less rough harshness than the texas specials provide.

If you played Stevie Ray Vaughan alot with heavy overdrive like he did, I would reccomend texas specials. But unless you are driving those pretty hard, their tone isn't the best.... There's a reason SRV used Lenny for his cleaner songs. So since you don't use much distortion, SCN's are the way to go in my opinion. You can do Lenny perfectly with those.

Of course, if you wish a cross between the raunchy Texas Specials and the clean SCN's, you can buy some tex mex pickups. They sacrifice specialization for versaitility, but in my opinion they do SRV's slightly distorted tone very well, as well as his cleans ESPECIALLY Lenny. So the Tex Mex pickups are sort of a middle ground.

I actually recorded lenny on my UG page using tex mex pickups through a roland microcube, you should give them a listen.

Hope this helped.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I wouldn't buy a Signature series Fender, as you're really paying for someone else's name to appear on your guitar.

As for what strat - play every strat you can find in nearby guitar shops until you find one you like. I found that there was a massive difference in them, even between Americans etc.

None of them were bad guitars, but it just took a while to find the 'right' one.

Took me a while to find the perfect strat - you'll know when you pick one up!
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean