what are the differences between emg 81, 85, 89, etc and what is a good combo for an ibanez s?
myspace.com/crystalignition
81 is a bridge pickup, the 85 a neck alot more bass. The 89 is a split coil so can be a single or humbucker but there isnt a bridge,neck of these. I have seen a reverse 89 so the single coil can be right next to the bridge versus little further away.
so 85's are good for distortion and 81's cleaner?
myspace.com/crystalignition
Quote by JaIbanez
so 85's are good for distortion and 81's cleaner?

I'd say the other way around. The EMG 60 is supposed to be one of their cleaner pickups. Try a search aswell, you'll dig up alot on this topic.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
Last edited by rockstar_jones at Nov 15, 2007,
go on the EMG website.. have all the breakdown on there, just google EMG pickups!
*ESP Viper 400 (Olympic White)
*Marshall AVT275
*Boss GT-8
*Burns Red Special Replica (original colours)
*Marshall MG10CD
*Vox 10watt preamp (for creating Brian May replica sounds)
*Fender Squire Strat (red w/ white scratch plate) - My 1st
www.emginc.com

Saved you 2 seconds of searching.

Anyway, it may involve lots of modifications if you decide to go active. You may have to get a three way switch (as EMG's don't like splitting except the 89) and the pot will be replaced. You may want to look at their passives, although you may want to get covered passives instead.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 15, 2007,
I would personally go with passive pickups because having to route out part of the guitar would be a bitch. You could find really good passive pickups, EMGs aren't the only option for metal.

Look into Seymour Duncan's and Dimarzio's.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore