Hey ug'ers. Whats your advice for building up down picking speed. Ive been trying to get the intro's to master of puppets and rain done. I have the technique right and the timing right, as my guitar teacher says, its just a case of building up the speed. I reckon I am currently at 3/4's of the speed with both songs. Is it purely a case of building up enough muscle and muscle memory for doing it ? or a metronome ?
well master of puppets is all down picked anyway so
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Gays aren't discriminated against, they just can't get married, big ****ing deal.
What is this 'Rain Done' song - Or doe she mean 'Rain', done? Anyway, i need to know what song this is.

About building speed, metronome, slow riff down, build speed up. Also try using your wrost, not shoulder.
And Master of Puppets is all downpicked anyway!
Quote by x5_spoonman
What is this 'Rain Done' song - Or doe she mean 'Rain', done? Anyway, i need to know what song this is.

Im guessing Trivium?
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by Dark_Raven10
Im guessing Trivium?

I'm going to take a long shot and guess he means 'Raining Blood' by Slayer, idk.
Just gotta build up muscle strength in the wrist.
Keep building up speed, play with a metronome.

Otherwise, wank a lot.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by Dark_Raven10
Im guessing Trivium?

Yes, 'Rain' is the first song after the intro on Ascendency.

Anyway, downpicking is all about stamina; what you need to do is pick a comfortable speed on the metronome and start downpicking and keep going until you physically cannot do anymore, time yourself and see how long it is, once you can go past about 45 seconds to a minute speed up a bit then do it again at the new speed. Rinse and repeat until you get to whatever speed you're aiming for (I'm guessing 8ths at about 200 - 210 bpm, yes?)
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.