Ive become rather confused how it all fits together. I play mostly blues and rock so I understand the whole I-IV-V, but Ive become confused in regards to where the pentatonic scale is minor and where it is major. Example:

Key of G
I - IV - V - iv
G - C - D - E

So thats my chord progression, now say I want to play the major pentatonic scale (1st position only to make it easier) over it, I play at the 3rd fret with G being the root note. Now say I want to play in the minor pentatonic scale, where do I play it? Do I play up at the 12th fret because E is the relative minor? Is the root note in the minor pentatonic still G or does it change to E?

I know this is beginner stuff, but my guitar teacher is kinda spacey and calls things by different names at different times so I just havent completely understood.
Technically, i'm pretty sure you could do both, but i think it matters what way you want to do it. I guess for your purpose you would play the E minor pentatonic scale (because it's the relative minor).
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
You could use the E minor pentatonic scale (12th or 0th fret) or to get a bit more of a bluesy sound, use the G minor pentatonic scale (3rd fret)
Quote by dwally89
You could use the E minor pentatonic scale (12th or 0th fret) or to get a bit more of a bluesy sound, use the G minor pentatonic scale (3rd fret)

That doesnt make any sense to me. Not saying your wrong, because that why I started this thread, I dont exactly get it. But I was told you basically only have 2 options. In this case you'd play either the G Major Pentatonic scale or the E Minor Pentatonic Scale.
you can play A minor pentatonic, B minor pentatonic, E minor pentatonic

it's just that you have to be careful what note you end on. but those will give you all the colors of the G maj 7 chord. the 9th the 11th, etc
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
You can play whatever you want, don't limit yourself to what people tell you you should play. I like a quote I heard from someone, "There aren't wrong notes, just notes you don't intend to hit."

That being said, some things sound better than others. Playing a G minor pentatonic's gonna give you a bluesy sound because of the b3 clashing with the regular 3, whereas E minor pentatonic's gonna give you a pretty polite, harmonious sound because it's the relative minor.

There are tons of other things and scales you can do with that, and everything's gonna have a different sound to it. My advice is to play as much as you can and learn what everything sounds like, so when you want to do something specific, your toolbox is full.
Ya I understand the whole "artistic license" and the ability to do whatever you want. But it seems to me that there's still a basic concept of major/minor scales in the blues and where its played on the neck. Thats what I'm trying to get at. Theres many ways to do just about everything in guitar, but Im looking for the generally accepted way.
Last edited by Andrew07 at Nov 16, 2007,
Ok, for major blues in the key of G, what you could consider the most general
scale to use over the entire progression would be G minor pentatonic or the
G minor blues scale.

Yes, a MINOR scale over a MAJOR progression. The main reason is that the "blue
notes" are b3 and b7 when played over a major. Also b5 is considered a blue
note when using the blues scale.

There's also lots of "decorations" to the above, but I think that answers the question
you're asking.
So what if I wanted to play the major pentatonic over a G major progression? Would I just drop it down 3 frets and change the root note (still G, but different location in the scale)?