Page 1 of 2
Ok peeps heres a hunt I have for yall. Im looking for an amp, preferably tube (fully or partialy), that can cover pretty much anytone and is big enough for atleast rehershal.

My influences are (in no order):

The Misfits
Dead Kennedys
Led Zepplin
Nirvana
Placebo
Guns n roses
Red Hot chili peppers
Johns solo stuff
Pulp
Rammstien
Silvertide
Tool
RATM
Fall of troy

The price range is perferably around 400 to 500 usd. A pedal or two addition might be workable, if need be to cover the sounds i want.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I would definitely recommend a Line 6 Spider III. It's a 12" in speaker, and trust me, unless you're playing venues as big as some of those bands you listed, you'll never turn the volume over halfway. It's got over 400 settings that are excellent, and it's fairly priced at $300.
Quote by Unfinished_VB
I would definitely recommend a Line 6 Spider III. It's a 12" in speaker, and trust me, unless you're playing venues as big as some of those bands you listed, you'll never turn the volume over halfway. It's got over 400 settings that are excellent, and it's fairly priced at $300.

NO!!!!
no spiders!! they suck!!

ask me if you want to know details or just search around ug

umm try a vox valvletonix
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Line 6 Spider III or Roland Cube.
I've seen people fighting and arguing between them for ages. Personally, for me each of them has their own feels and I like them both.
Last edited by hminh87 at Nov 15, 2007,
arent there all tube spiders now? which would mean they suck but in a cool way this time :p
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
valveking[ or a

b52

$500 is a tough budget when your looking for something versatile

beggars can not be choosers :P
Quote by Teh GIR
NO!!!!
no spiders!! they suck!!

ask me if you want to know details or just search around ug

*cough* i own one, i love one, >:P EDIT!!!!!

but yea, not a bright idea to recomend a solid state amp when thats not wat the guy wants, if you want tube, you want tube.
but yea i would have to say vox if your stuck on having have tube stuff. lin 6 has some new modeling tube amps out, which supposedly are rly awesome, but they start at like 700$
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Nov 15, 2007,
An "EXTREMLY" versatile amp you say? How about one of those with like all those knobs and stuff and like all those settings....and stuff and like 2 channels for like 2 different settings and stuff!!!
I recommend any MG because the overdrive is crushing and it does pinch harmonics on its own, regardless of the note you play, every 5 seconds.

Honestly, think about it. You're looking for a nice clean tube sound for RHCP's to a lot of overdrive/distortion for bands such as RATM etc in a price tag less then $500 and to be loud enough to be heard in a band. Good luck. Unless you get a great deal on some used equipment you won't get what you're looking for. Which leaves you with what the rest said. Personally I'd go with an older tube amp thats still in good condition.
LOLZ on this thread we have an MG recommended and a spider.

someone is about to get flamed lol...

(i dont have anything against said guitars, i just kno 99% of everyone here does)
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
classic 30 w pedal
Failure is a far greater teacher than success.
Unified

Gear:
Schecter C-1
Peavey Classic 30
Roland Cube 30
DD-3
Ibanez WD-7
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Quote by derek444
mesa boogie rectifier slant cab

thats a cabinet you dunce. you need an amp to go with it.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
If he prefers a tube, I wouldn't recommend a Spider. LOL. But it would be worth your while to check out a Flextone. Solid state but much better.
Quote by DSOTM80
An "EXTREMLY" versatile amp you say? How about one of those with like all those knobs and stuff and like all those settings....and stuff and like 2 channels for like 2 different settings and stuff!!!
I recommend any MG because the overdrive is crushing and it does pinch harmonics on its own, regardless of the note you play, every 5 seconds.

Honestly, think about it. You're looking for a nice clean tube sound for RHCP's to a lot of overdrive/distortion for bands such as RATM etc in a price tag less then $500 and to be loud enough to be heard in a band. Good luck. Unless you get a great deal on some used equipment you won't get what you're looking for. Which leaves you with what the rest said. Personally I'd go with an older tube amp thats still in good condition.

Lol whut?An MG?Have you played an MG10 to prove its heaviness?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by bored_maniac33
LOLZ on this thread we have an MG recommended and a spider.

someone is about to get flamed lol...

(i dont have anything against said guitars, i just kno 99% of everyone here does)

Quote by Broken-pick
Lol whut?An MG?Have you played an MG10 to prove its heaviness?

I swear some of the kids that come onto this site are about as bright as a pile of bricks. Now let me explain it to you in a way your 5th grade brain will understand. I...was....making....fun...of.....MG's...and....the....Zakk....Wylde....ad.
If you would of kept reading my post rather then jump to conclusions and actually understood sarcasm you would of seen that I told the TS his best option in my opinion would be to get an older tube amp if he can for what he wants to achieve with his sound and in his price range.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
I swear some of the kids that come onto this site are about as bright as a pile of bricks. Now let me explain it to you in a way your 5th grade brain will understand. I...was....making....fun...of.....MG's...and....the....Zakk....Wylde....ad.
If you would of kept reading my post rather then jump to conclusions and actually understood sarcasm you would of seen that I told the TS his best option in my opinion would be to get an older tube amp if he can for what he wants to achieve with his sound and in his price range.

yea tbh, i thot that you were being sarcastic, but idk, but i still thot it funny u were recomending an MG right after a spider....and yes i am a noob.......i didnt read the rest of ur post....

i blame the fact taht im switching between like 5 different posts
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
DID YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have hybrid spiders now. Not sure if their all tube or just preamp tubes, well worth a look.
EDIT: They are all power tubes. It says a pair of 12 AX7 and 2 6L6GC, tubes arent my thang yet, so explantion is in order.
Last edited by dewdadrew at Nov 15, 2007,
About the price range: Thats fairly flexible, I can probally get around 200 more to spend.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by dewdadrew
DID YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have hybrid spiders now. Not sure if their all tube or just preamp tubes, well worth a look.
EDIT: They are all power tubes. It says a pair of 12 AX7 and 2 6L6GC, tubes arent my thang yet, so explantion is in order.

They are all Tube, but they sound like crap. They still are digital.
If you can scrounge up another $100 bringing your total to about $600, you can look for a used Mesa Boogie F-30/50 on ebay or a Peavey 5150 or some other vintage tube amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
If you can scrounge up another $100 bringing your total to about $600, you can look for a used Mesa Boogie F-30/50 on ebay or a Peavey 5150 or some other vintage tube amp.

don't think the 5150 is a very good choice if he wants Rhcp cleans..
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by Op3a
Roland Cube 20X + pedals

The Roland Cube already has a ton of effects and I don't think he'd need any pedals. Plus, pedals sound like **** through SS amps.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Definetly no spiders............. a good versitile amp is a line 6 Vetta 2..........from what ive heard about them and actually heard them been played..........they have very nice distortion etc
moved
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure

I hope you're joking....seriously, i really hope you are.
Quote by Phax
classic 30 w pedal

+1
Classic can do anything with a pedal
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by wongacaster
i second the idea of the used f-30/50.
its cleans sounds gooood. VERY good.
check it out on youtube.

So does its dirties!
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
V3...its got everything you need, and better than f50s a midi system which im linking up to the 3 channels, 50/100w option, dual series fx, really nice cleans crunch and brootalz. Its got a mesa style thickner and an intense uberschall/6505 style setting, master and 3 seperate volumes, dark sounding..pretty much a mesa soundalike but with marshall crunch.
Quote by DSOTM80

Quote by RG_FANMAN
I hope you're joking....seriously, i really hope you are.

I swear UG sometimes attracts the dumbest people alive...no offense. Like I told the last person who doesn't understand sarcasm, read the rest of my post and you'll understand and besides....

HOW THE HELL CAN AN AMP DO PINCH HARMONICS ON ITS OWN?!?! Just think about it!

Unless, of course its a Zakk Wylde Signature Amp thats how hmm, come to think of it I think that would be a hilarious and genius idea for a signature pedal for him. Call it the MXR Pinch-O-Rama. It is after all his signature move to do pinch harmonics, what better way then to make a pedal out of it. I'm sure you'd get some people shelling out money for it.

(The contents of this post are completely useless. Thank you for wasting your precious time reading this which you will never be able to get back. Have a nice day )
Try the Crate VTX200S. A 120W SS amp with 3 separate channels (clean, dirty, distortion), each one with it's own controls, plus a number of different effects. Add a pedal or two to the clean channel, and you can produce about any sound you want with the built in Celeston(sp?) speakers, or use it as a 200W head and hook the cab of your choice on it.

Yes, it might be made by Crate and be all Solid State, but it was made after the Crate/Ampeg merger and thus has all Ampeg parts inside. A high quality and EXTREMLY versitle amp! Plus it's recently discontinued after only a year and a half shelf life, so can be had pretty cheap.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
I agree with the guys who are actually recomending tube amps. Its gonna be tough to get a really versatile sound out of a tube amp, since they all have distinct characters, which is what makes them so wonderful, but if you pay like 2-300 for a fender tube comb, plus 100something for a marshall shredmeister, throw in whatever reverb, chorus, etc. effects you like, you can get a very versatile setup that is tailored to a osound of your own.
Quote by derek444
mesa boogie rectifier slant cab

Wait...what?

Mesa F-30 FTW!!!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by mangaka82
I agree with the guys who are actually recomending tube amps. Its gonna be tough to get a really versatile sound out of a tube amp, since they all have distinct characters, which is what makes them so wonderful, but if you pay like 2-300 for a fender tube comb, plus 100something for a marshall shredmeister, throw in whatever reverb, chorus, etc. effects you like, you can get a very versatile setup that is tailored to a osound of your own.

Finally someone sane on this site. I totally agree on the tube amp, whichever he decides on thats his decision. If you can't find one in your price range then I'd go for a Cube if you have to go cheaper and SS.
Page 1 of 2