hey i'm looking at basses, exploring my options. im thinking getting a jag, i was wondering what the tone of it is? also the switchy things, what do they do? i love the shape and neck but i like a simple bass, as far as knobs and switches go. i would consider taking them out and putting chrome plates on it. what do you guys think?

thanks in advance.
I play bass!
The electronics layout is quite complex. The specs sheet off of the Fender site says a lot, and there were several threads about this bass you might want to search bar. Basically, there's an active/passive switch, as well as a parallel/series pickup switch, and toggle switches for each of the pickups being on and off (i.e. no pickup blending whatsoever). The rollers at the top of the bass are active treble and bass CUT ONLY - there's no centre detent. There's also a passive tone control where it usually is on the bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
And there's no surf green color, nor sunburst for the US.

So an irishman walks out of a bar.
It's a damn good bass! It's essentially a J with every switching option you could ever need. A proper hotrod. Some of the settings are a bit noisy, some are a bit unruly, and there is a page of moans about build quality on Harmony Central.
But the Japs, in general, are very well made, so do consider it. I nearly bought one a couple of months ago, 'cos I was offered a stunning price as it was ex Fender demo. (I only passed it up 'cos I didn't fancy living on beans on toast for most of the month...lol)
i love the Jag bass. i played one for about 3 hours at my local shop. ran it through an
Ampeg SVT 3pro amp, into a SVT 6x10 cab. the controls are kinda complicated, but it sure would be fun, learnin' to fly it. the neck is all Jazz, and it had a great feel. i would probably rank it right there with the Hwy 1, or the Geddy Lee. and the matching headstock was the real clencher, 'cause i loves me some matching headstocks. and an active/passive option, dude! thumbs up!
I would sell my soul for this bass, it has a great shape, many options, and sounds great.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by thefitz
... The rollers at the top of the bass are active treble and bass CUT ONLY - there's no centre detent. There's also a passive tone control where it usually is on the bass.

Actually the active circuit is BOOST only. I know it says cut on the fender website, but trust me it's boost. (Unless there was a huge mistake when they built mine anyway )

With the bass and treble wheels all the way down the overall sound is very similar to the passive mode.

I'd also say that the controls are pretty easy once you get used to them.

All in all a great bass. Very much a fender sound but it has the capability to sound very different to a Jazz.
Quote by creepingjesus73
It's a damn good bass! It's essentially a J with every switching option you could ever need. A proper hotrod. Some of the settings are a bit noisy, some are a bit unruly, and there is a page of moans about build quality on Harmony Central.
But the Japs, in general, are very well made, so do consider it. I nearly bought one a couple of months ago, 'cos I was offered a stunning price as it was ex Fender demo. (I only passed it up 'cos I didn't fancy living on beans on toast for most of the month...lol)

Best typo Ive seen in a while.

EDIT: To make this not spam, it seems like its a pretty good bass. Hell, its Fender. Chances are its not gonna suck.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Last edited by silentdob at Nov 16, 2007,
Pros - tonal flexibility, Fender reliability and quality

Cons - less options than Js and Ps, poor upper register access

I have played them and they are good instruments but they aren't for me. I don't like the feel playing around the neck joint.
Quote by silentdob

Cj was talking 'bout Fender Japan build quality, they make the Jag.

Personally I'd change the pups - the MIJ stuff is built well, but to a budget, and has cheaper electronics than MIA Fenders, hence all the pup noise.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

Quote by silentdob

EDIT: To make this not spam, it seems like its a pretty good bass. Hell, its Fender. Chances are its not gonna suck.

He was talking about it being made in Japan.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS

He was talking about it being made in Japan.

Yes, but in many cases, Jap is a racial slur, whereas CIJ as it's called now is quite obvious. And come on - "the Japs are well made" is friggin' hilarious
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
okay, not to steal your thread or anything, but would a badass II bridge be a direct/sort of hassless swap?

or worth it?
Quote by El Penguino
okay, not to steal your thread or anything, but would a badass II bridge be a direct/sort of hassless swap?

or worth it?

Hassle-less. Didn't I read on this forum somewhere that new Jags come with BadAsses?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Yes,Yes, but in many cases Jap is a racial slur, whereas CIJ as it's called now is quite obvious. And come on - "the Japs are well made" is friggin' hilarious

*sarcasm on*

Well you live and learn...and to think my japanese sister in law calls herself a 'Jap' - I'll need to tell her to stop being so racially offensive now.

*sarcasm off*
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

Quote by thefitz
Hassle-less. Didn't I read on this forum somewhere that new Jags come with BadAsses?

yeah, the new jags
come with badass II bridges
Quote by Sekhmet
*sarcasm on*

Well you live and learn...and to think my japanese sister in law calls herself a 'Jap' - I'll need to tell her to stop being so racially offensive now.

*sarcasm off*

haha
Is she very well made?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
haha
Is she very well made?

Yes.
Yes she is.

But her p-ups need changing.
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by Creepingjesus73

Lol, it was no typo! Abbreviation, yes...Japanese Fenders are damn good (I'd buy one over a Mexican Fender, tbh). On the whole, the Ainu, from the southern islands are bigger, and hairier (oo-er missus) than their northern counterparts. So they are well made...

I couldn't help wondering if they might produce a Yakuza bass (most unlike Fender to cash in on a tenuous link...lol). It would be violently aggressive, would need speed rather than 9v batteries, and would cut your fingers off with tin snips if you f*cked up. And it would refuse to be played by gaijins...

Quote by thefitz
Yes, but in many cases, Jap is a racial slur, whereas CIJ as it's called now is quite obvious. And come on - "the Japs are well made" is friggin' hilarious

Oooooh...quite the PC police now, aren't we? :stickpoke . In future, if you think I've said something inappropriate, report it. Simple. Or am I just not getting the joke? Again...

Just to stay on-topic: is the standard BA fitment a recent thing? 'Cos the one I tried didn't have one.