Now in my last thread, i was going to trade my Deluxe Reverb RI for a '72 Super Reverb but the deal fell through.

Now i'm being offered an equal trade for a '78 Twin Reverb. Only thing i'm concerned about it is thats one of the dreaded MV Silverfaces.

whats so bad about these and why should i avoid them? i'm thinking the Twin will blow my DRRI out of the water tone wise, but could i be wrong?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
truth is, all those guys who started rumors about silver faces being "horrible" are old dudes who all used to own and play pre-cbs amps.

the silverfaces sound great and will pretty much compare to a lot of high end amps that are on the market. the MV is something a lot of guys watch out for though.

id just try it out. oh, and make sure it doesnt have bad speakers. a lot of old amps come with terrible speakers.
Quote by TehJermie
truth is, all those guys who started rumors about silver faces being "horrible" are old dudes who all used to own and play pre-cbs amps.

the silverfaces sound great and will pretty much compare to a lot of high end amps that are on the market. the MV is something a lot of guys watch out for though.

id just try it out. oh, and make sure it doesnt have bad speakers. a lot of old amps come with terrible speakers.

This one comes with the stock JBL's.

it looks pretty immaculate for being so old. only one small tear in the tolex, and everything else is mint.

the downside though is i dont have the chance to play that particular one, i could probably play another SF Twin, which is what i'll end up doing, but not the one i'm looking at.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
yeah, id probably just go for it. as long as there are no major issues with the amp, its a fair trade(slight tip to your side.)
the value will just keep going up with the silverface amps too. if youre going to grab one, now is a good time.
not to mention, they sound great.
Quote by TehJermie
yeah, id probably just go for it. as long as there are no major issues with the amp, its a fair trade(slight tip to your side.)
the value will just keep going up with the silverface amps too. if youre going to grab one, now is a good time.
not to mention, they sound great.

Alright, thanks!

I was just worried about the whole master volume thing seeing as the later years arent that desirable apparently.
yeah, if the MV bugs you, you can always have it removed. id just ignore it all together. keep the preamp at half or lower, and pretend the power amp is your only volume
Anymore opinions? here's a few pictures:

Sorry for the double post but i just got email from the guy regarding the condition.

Apparently, its pretty much perfect on the inside, it idles dead quiet. the caps were all replaced with Mallory Silver's and it has a grounded 3 prong plug.

Both ends of the party are going to buy one of those flight cases off ebay to ship it in, as the guy with the Twin doesnt want to ship a Twin in just a cardboard box, and i'm not that good of a packager, so it'll be better kept in one of those cases.

Again, anymore reasons not to get it? *cough*where are you Hankey/Slats?*cough*
Quote by igotabcrich32
Again, anymore reasons not to get it? *cough*where are you Hankey/Slats?*cough*

I've been waiting for Hankey to help you out. I want to see what his opinion is, too.

I don't think I'd do it unless I really needed the volume (which is a legitimate issue). I agree with TehJermie that the silver faces are better than advertised and undervalued, but I can't predict when their value is going to increase (if ever). A lot of people prefer the latest reissues to the late 70's Fenders. There's the chance that you could wind up with an amp you can't sell. Now, if you love it, that's not an issue. Just something to consider.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.