I am in the process of getting my first bass (switching from guitar which I have been playing for 1 year). I have been looking at Ibanez SR 400, SR500 and Fender Deluxe P or J basses.

I was checking some websites and have come across a discontinued Ibanez RD900 for (half the RRP). What are these basses like ? Is this a bass I should consider ? Or should I stay with one of the options above ? I need to point out that the location of the RD900 prevents me from playing the bass prior to purchasing.

If I want to be really bad I could consider something like an Ibanez SR900 or even a Lakland 44-02 - but I'm not sure I really need to, or want to spend that sort of money just yet on a bass esp since I still need to get an amp (considering an Ashdown MAG300, with a 2x10 and 1x15 cabs)

Is it worth looking at anything Yamaha have ? I have already ruled out Warwick and Spector - didnt like the necks much felt too bulky - but then again I did play these after I played the Lakland.

FOOTNOTE: Just thought I would mention that I will be playing everything from Beatles - AC/DC - Creedance - Fall Out Boy
Last edited by Tiger17 at Nov 15, 2007,
both brands are really nice. My first choice would be a Jazz bass, but the Ibanez SR500 is great as well. Don't bother with the RD900.
EDIT: and don't even think about using a yamaha.. they all sound like $100 instruments.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at Nov 15, 2007,
This just my perference, but I think Fender Basses are really overrated. I think they are outdated. I like Ibanez's because of the crisp tone you get from them. And im not sure if you are in 5+ string basses but Ibanez def makes the better 6 string bass.

I played on a fender P bass for school jazz band, and had to put it down because I thought the tone was to muffled.

Yea stay away from the Yamaha, I actually saw this local jazz band the other day and the bass player hated his Yamaha.
I think you should go with the Ibanez Sr500. I have the Sr505 and it is a great bass. I love the tones you can get as well as the neck.
I like Fender's sound a bit more....I haven't played a deluxe p or j though, only a j standard.
Quote by JDD331
A juggalo? Pokedex that ****.....what are they? like clowns...wannabes?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by Tiger17
FOOTNOTE: Just thought I would mention that I will be playing everything from Beatles - AC/DC - Creedance - Fall Out Boy

haha (under the assumption you're being facetious)

My Fender US Deluxe Jazz is about as modern as a bass gets, friend.

Anyway, Fender basses have very 'trademark' tones that most people just love. You'll hear someone say "ah, that guy's playing a Precision" or "yeah, that's a bridge pickup of a Jazz", but you'll never hear someone say "Right, that's a Ibanez WTF8225.009" (or however the hell they name their basses).

You should prefer one scenario over the other - and choose the one you like.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Fender Basses are underated if anything. They are hailed as the "vanilla" of the bass world, because of their versitallity. So if you play a wide range of styles, then a Fender will probabally macht all those for you. Check em out, they're pretty good. Ibanez's are also good, but I would take a fender over one of them anyday.
Well I own an Ibanez and I hope to own an honest to god American Precision Bass or an Urge II some day. I guess I am an equal opportunity bassist that way. And I came to the realization of all of this when I went to a shop and started trying out both, btw...

My point is that they are really in a way apples and oranges--tonally and from a playability standpoint You really need to get out and play the range of basses in both lines to find what is going to work for you.

And on these forums you will find camps, yes, I say it, religious cults that worship at the altar of all things Fender or Ibanez. And frankly, if the priesthood of Fender would offer me up a free Urge II for my soul, I'd have to have some serious thoughts of total conversion, but that's another story for another time....
Last edited by anarkee at Nov 15, 2007,
its your own personal preference. play them both. i play fender cause i like how it plays and sounds.

and for who ever said its over rated, out dated, man if that was the case then why the hell does a good 70% of the rock/pop music world still use them....you think they would have moved on to whats better? money sure isn't the issue. simply put, fenders are not overated or out dated, they are used so frequently because of their versatility and professionalism.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
My advice, don't take my advice.

Goto a store, and play either of your choices. Whichever bass feels better, and produces the sound you want to obtain, buy it. No one knows your preferences better than you.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Thanks for the replies people

Will head on out to a music shop Saturday morning and play the Fender Deluxe Active P and J (maybe even non active Fenders as well) against the Ibanez Sr500 and see what I think.
Quote by stradivari310
both brands are really nice. My first choice would be a Jazz bass, but the Ibanez SR500 is great as well. Don't bother with the RD900.
EDIT: and don't even think about using a yamaha.. they all sound like $100 instruments.

I hate you, the myung basses sound super!

But to get back on-topic: Take the Ibanez (I hate fenders) + Ibanez's are really easy to play.
You're in luck, I have both a deluxe fender and an Ibanez SR.

The ibanez has a huge amount of growl present (more so than the jazz, I reckon) but the EQ and soapbar pickups do, imo, make it alot more versatile than a fender, or at least a P.

The fender has a classic sound that sits so well in a mix, despite arguably not sounding as good solo'd. I use both on a regular basis for different applications.

Note, I haven't said A is better than Y, just giving some objective reviews.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by GregBillHill
Depends.

If you want modern tone, Ibanez

If you want pure original tone, Fender

...wtf?
You seem to be looking at it all pretty sensibly. Fender basses are very much the standard - by far the majority of recorded bass is using Fender and if you're playing covers then a Fender or Fender style bass is pretty much essential. That said Ibanez make great stuff at very good prices. I have two Ibanez basses. Judging from your amp choice you're after a classic '60s/'70s bass sound and the Fender would be the best for that sort of thing. Ashdowns are fantastic by the way - I have a MAG 400 and love it to desth.
The Jazz will be a great choice, I also suggest looking into Shechters.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I own a Precision Bass and as I see it there is no chance I trade it for a Ibanez.
Quote by Strati
I own a Precision Bass and as I see it there is no chance I trade it for a Ibanez.

Same Here. I just got mine today too.
those are some great choices for a first bass, seems you've got the money to choose them, having extra money is always nice

personally, i would go with the Jazz, make sure to check out some other basses as well, these are nice choices, but often times when you get up into the higher price range, preference will matter the most, as the majority of basses will sound good, and not have very many flaws, so, your choice will depend more on preference than "which is best", so try out some other basses as well, schecter and warwick are two names you could look out for that make great basses in your price range
Ibanez owns the under $250 market. under $400 i think the Squire VM is worth a look. but still, Ibanez rules this market, also. when you reach the under $500, Fender starts to surpass Ibanez. Schecter also enters the arena, here. under $600, Fender
takes a leap ahead with the Deluxe series, and Shecter is also worth considering, here. under $700 to under $1000 is all Fender. over this range is Fender, EBMM, Ric,
and G&L. no Ibanez in this range.

Edit: Warwick and Lakland, should also be included in the over $1000 list.
this list is for production basses, off the rack. of course there are countless customs, and boutique, basses that surpass all of these mentioned, in quality and price. but perhaps not tone. Fender gets my vote for tone.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
Ibanez owns the under $250 market. under $400 i think the Squire VM is worth a look. but still, Ibanez rules this market, also. when you reach the under $500, Fender starts to surpass Ibanez. Schecter also enters the arena, here. under $600, Fender
takes a leap ahead with the Deluxe series, and Shecter is also worth considering, here. under $700 to under $1000 is all Fender. over this range is Fender, EBMM, Ric,
and G&L. no Ibanez in this range.

Yea I think you got it right. I love my Ibanezs (Sr505 $550 and Srx3 $450) but I cannot see myself buying one over $550. I would probably move to Warwick or Musicman or Fender for high price basses.