just got my amp, and i wanna know what i need to do before i start just playing away. i've heard tons of stories about guys starting to play their amps and having smoke suddenly start coming out and crap. what do i need to do before i can get going? and what should i definitely NOT do?
leave the volume low at first and let the amp warm up the smoke usually results from guys overdriving the amp when its just warming up and it gets fried then so take it slow maybe as it warms you could do something like tuning or your own warmup etc..
Quote by OLP1
all tube amps should have a stand-by button, always start the amp in stand-by until it warms up, its screws up the cathode of the tube otherwise.

Not all of them, there's a few that don't.

Playing it at low volumes at first honestly really doesn't do much as it takes tubes a good time to fully get warmed up. As long as you let it warm up on standby for a good minute or two, you should be fine. That's really it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yea, it's a peavey classic 30, and it doesn't have a standby switch. i had to change strings on my guitar, so i turned it on and left it while i changed them. i don't wanna like turn the preamp up a lot and overdrive it or anything because i'm afraid i'll blow a tube or something. is this a possibility, or am i just being too cautious?
Not unless there's something wrong with the amp in the first place. In which case, it wouldn't be your fault anyway.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
you won't blow a tube by turning everything up after an initial warm-up time. although if you use a booster, it might help reduce tube life rapidly. also, as far as volume go, if you crank it, your speaker would start to be broken in first. it might even blow the vocal coil, but i doubt it. turning up preamp volume is awesome though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
u'd want to have ur guitar plugged in and your pedals off, volume of your guitar at 0. i don't know where the volume knob of the classic 30 is wired, to be safe, load no signal into your amp by plugging in your guitar with the volume at 0.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not all of them, there's a few that don't.

Playing it at low volumes at first honestly really doesn't do much as it takes tubes a good time to fully get warmed up. As long as you let it warm up on standby for a good minute or two, you should be fine. That's really it.

my amp, AC 30 (just got today), has a stand by but the book says that I should turn the amp on and let it run for 1 or 2 min, then turn the stand by on, I did that and I could play on stand by, but once I turn the stand by off, no sound comes out, is this normal?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Turning the amp up and playing without warming up first wont cause smoke and exploding tubes. Its just harder on the tubes and will lower there life span. And dont be afraid to crank it up, thats what its built for. How else would anyone get a fat overdriven tone??

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by fifer
my amp, AC 30 (just got today), has a stand by but the book says that I should turn the amp on and let it run for 1 or 2 min, then turn the stand by on, I did that and I could play on stand by, but once I turn the stand by off, no sound comes out, is this normal?
I'm sure you figured this out by by now, but you simply have it backwards. I think it's confusng as well. Standby, when in the "off" position, means "play now, the amp is on." Standby, when in the "on" position is ACTUALLY now in "standby."

AMP IN ITS "OFF" STATE
• Power switch in "off."
• Standby in "standby" (standby mode is "on").

TURNING AMP "ON"
• Turn power switch "on."
• Leave standby switch in "standby" (standby mode is "on").
• Wait one or two minutes.
• Now, turn "standby" switch to "off" (the "play now," amp is "on" mode).
• Play guitar.

TURNING AMP "OFF"
• Turn Power switch "off."
• Turn standby switch to "standby" (standby mode is "on").
• (Do this in any order.)
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by LEVEL4
I'm sure you figured thos out by nbow, but you simply have it backwards. I think it's confusng as well. Standby, when in the "on" position, means "play now, the amp is on." Standby, when in the "off" position is ACTUALLY now in "standby."

AMP "OFF"
• Power switch in "off."
• Standby in "standby" (on).

TURNING AMP "ON"
• Turn power switch "on."
• Leave standby switch in "standby" ("on").
• Wait one or two minutes.
• Now, turn "standby" switch to "off" (the "play now," amp is "on" mode).
• Play guitar.

TURNING AMP "OFF"
• Turn Power switch "off."
• Turn standby switch to "standby" (on).
• (Do this in any order.)

That made it so much more confusing that even I didn't understand and I have a tube amp lol. Basicaly to turn it on it goes power,let the tubes warm up, then standby, to turn it off, you turn off standby, wait a bit, then turn of power.

That's what I've been doing anyway.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
That made it so much more confusing . . .
That's because I had accidentally transposed the "on" and "off" definitions in the first paragraph, and actually had it backwards. Sorry. It's been corrected now.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

do not wash your amp with soap and water
do have fun.
honestly. why do so many people think of tube amps as delicate crystal figurines? yeah you should warm it up and take precaution when cranking it...but it's not as though forgetting to use standby, or not having it warm up for x amount of time is going to break it (though if you do it a lot you'll shorten tube life and whatnot).