Poll: Should I get a new guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I get a new guitar?
Yes
14 78%
No
4 22%
Voters: 18.
Hey guys, I have had my guitar for close to a year and a half. It is a Standard Mexican Strat that i bought for like $350. I would like to know how much better, say an American strat would be compared to my guitar. I don't really have any complaints about my guitar as of now, but I don't have much experience playing higher-end guitars. Is the sound much better on a guitar in the range of $1,000 compared to the one I have now? Check out my gear below. Thanks for any help.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Well really you don't need anything. I would go upgrade your Strat. MIM Strats are good, but USA Strats are amazing guitars. They're an instrument you'll have for life, thats for sure.
Quote by CJRocker
Well really you don't need anything. I would go upgrade your Strat. MIM Strats are good, but USA Strats are amazing guitars. They're an instrument you'll have for life, thats for sure.

So, upgrade my current guitar, or buy the american strat?
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
So, upgrade my current guitar, or buy the american strat?

I meant upgrade as in upgrade to an American Strat.
Quote by inhatredofme
depends on what you want to play i'd say.

Well, I really like SRV and Jimi Hendrix style, but I do play all different stuff depending on my mood and whatnot.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Can anybody tell me the fundamental differences between my Mexican Strat and an American Strat (aside from the prices)?
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I'd just upgrade to a bigger amp or something, theres not a point in upgrading from a MM to an american strat, they are almost exactly the same.
Quote by PatheticMedic
I'd just upgrade to a bigger amp or something, theres not a point in upgrading from a MM to an american strat, they are almost exactly the same.

I was waiting for someone to say that The American Strat is not only made better, it has better pickups, better hardware, plays nicer, and is better built. If you say they are the same, you have never played the two side by side.
Quote by PatheticMedic

There isn't much point in him getting a bigger amp, unless he gigs a lot.
Quote by SoccerRM1
Hey guys, I have had my guitar for close to a year and a half. It is a Standard Mexican Strat that i bought for like $350. I would like to know how much better, say an American strat would be compared to my guitar. I don't really have any complaints about my guitar as of now, but I don't have much experience playing higher-end guitars. Is the sound much better on a guitar in the range of $1,000 compared to the one I have now? Check out my gear below. Thanks for any help.

I'd rather spend that money for another tube amp (an Orange)...that'll really give you a different range of sweet sounds. Then again, if you like your amp, then obviously ignore the previous statement.

If you like the look and feel of your MIM and there's no buzzing frets or rough edges, then keep it. If anything, get a good new tremolo system (Wilkinson or Kahler are good...the latter is a bit different though since it's not fulcrum based) and tuners (locking...they run $50-80) so stability isn't an issue. New pickups is always an option too.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 15, 2007,
Well, I don't have any complaints with my amp right now, gets pleanty loud for my needs. I think im going to need to go play an american strat to see the difference for myself, what i'm thinking is that im ignorrant to what a quality electric can feel/sound like, so potentially I can think my strat feels and sounds great when I have no clue how much better things can get.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I would get an LP. I have both a LP and Strat...it's like having the best of both worlds.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by Midnight Murk
I don't know too many differences between the Mexican and American Strats, but I do know that the American-made Stratocasters have 22 frets, compared to the Mexican's 21.

and the fact that one sounds better, feels better, and if you get a sunburst, you have better wood grains.

yea, dude, if you feel you will be playing for life, you want a high quality instrument taht will be awesome forever, get an MIA.

thats exactly what im doin lol
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by SoccerRM1
Can anybody tell me the fundamental differences between my Mexican Strat and an American Strat (aside from the prices)?

ok here it goes, rounded neck, which means the frets/side of the neck are VERY soft and smooth.

heck of a lot better pickups, IMO american strats have the best sound out of aguitar ive played.

better build quality: so much that is noticeable

high quality woods, as you can see from comparing the sunburst of a MIM compared to a MIA

better resell value

you pay for it, but they are just better
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by SoccerRM1
Well, I don't have any complaints with my amp right now, gets pleanty loud for my needs. I think im going to need to go play an american strat to see the difference for myself, what i'm thinking is that im ignorrant to what a quality electric can feel/sound like, so potentially I can think my strat feels and sounds great when I have no clue how much better things can get.

+2000

hey dont get me wrong, your MIM probly is a great guitar. ive played several and they do feel rly awesome, but MIA's are a whole nother game
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
ok here it goes, rounded neck, which means the frets/side of the neck are VERY soft and smooth.

heck of a lot better pickups, IMO american strats have the best sound out of aguitar ive played.

better build quality: so much that is noticeable

high quality woods, as you can see from comparing the sunburst of a MIM compared to a MIA

better resell value

you pay for it, but they are just better

Thanks man
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
Thanks man

anytime i mean they might not be that amazing to you. im really bias right now cause im goin to be ordering one next week i do believe
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
anytime i mean they might not be that amazing to you. im really bias right now cause im goin to be ordering one next week i do believe

Thats awesome, I might hold off until christmas. All depends on my paitence.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by CJRocker
I was waiting for someone to say that The American Strat is not only made better, it has better pickups, better hardware, plays nicer, and is better built. If you say they are the same, you have never played the two side by side.

i like you
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional