Ok, so I've always heard with tube amps, if you can't crank them to crank the master volume and use the channel volume controls as your volume. I own a first generation (made in 1999) Mesa Single Rectifier. It says "master" but the master is more like the channel volumes because each channel has one. Theres a knob that controls the master volume called "output" so I've been cranking that and using the master volumes to control the volumes. I'm pretty sure I'm right but I just want to make sure because the names of the knobs are a bit confusing. Can anyone give me a little assurance?
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
Whatever master volume their talking about is the power amp volume, which in your case is the "output" knob. So you should dime the output knob and use the "master" (which are really channel volumes) to control the volume.
if you're into more pre-amp saturation, as in heavier styles, you might find it more suitable to have your channel volumes up, but keeping your output level at a not-too-low level when able.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I'm more into a modern punk sound. I'm kind of looking for a smoother sound and I use drop D most of the time. Think early finch. I think I'd be ebst off with my master maxed. I'll try it out tomorrow and thanks again.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com