My brother dropped off some amps for his car at my house, I'm not sure but I think alltogether [there's 3], it's around 150w. I'm pretty sure I'd have to gut all the electronics and replace it with something, and I want it to be tube. Don't know if I phrased the word tube right, but whatever, I'm a noob.

Is this possible?

Oh, and one of the heads has a cut in the cover, so should I fix/replace that? Or will it not affect the sound too much? If I should replace it, how?

EDIT: the cut is about 1/4 the size of my pinky nail.
Last edited by Firequacker at Nov 15, 2007,
ive used my guitar with my car amp and subs before... but i have a pedal with headphone outputs... i just bought a headphone to rca cord at walmart and plug it right into the amp with that
Well, those things are solid state, you can't just add a tube or two and make it a tube poweramp. they're completely different in terms of wiring.

You might be able to use them with a preamp, or something like the output of an effects loop, into an rca to 1/4 converter.

Even then, SS poweramps are usualy used with bass amp applications.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Tell me threadstarter, how could a cut on the amp possibly affect sound performance?

You can't particularly use car audio amps/subs for a guitar cabinet. The frequency response is all wrong, plus they don't won't sound particularly that good.
If you're a noob, I wouldn't suggest that you attempt anything of this scale (gutting a poweramp and rebuilding it to something suited for guitar). It's too complicated and there's a lot of ways you can do damage to yourself.
That being said, you can use car subs in a bass guitar cabinet.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
That being said, you can use car subs in a bass guitar cabinet.

Not really, you need to still build a cab which is the hard part especially because you would have to work everything out from scratch. Also subs usually just produce the rumble and very bottom of music, and you won't get a very good bass sound from just them.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Build a decent preamp. (try www.generalguitargadgets.com) theres probly somethin there.

Put the output of the preamp into the input of the Car amp (which will act as a poweramp)

Slap in a Boss EQ pedal, and you have a ghetto amp.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by xifr
Not really, you need to still build a cab which is the hard part especially because you would have to work everything out from scratch. Also subs usually just produce the rumble and very bottom of music, and you won't get a very good bass sound from just them.

Well, yes but no. Most car's I've set up have the LPF set for around 180Hz, which is definitely the bottom of the scale. However, if you check out the frequency response, a lot of car subs can hit the 2kHz range - plenty high enough if you're just playing rhythm bass. However, for styles like slap I'd suggest you add a tweeter.
If you have the existing cab you can just place the subs in, although this mightn't give you the best bass possible. Adding a few well placed and sized ports can help, or even just some of that wooley stuff (technical terms here) that is used to mimic an increased cabinet size.
Sure it mightn't be perfect, but it will definitely work.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."