does everyone else have to do this? it's really annoying, because it's hard to do with my large, pudgy hands. it does it when i don't even touch it and just play on the b string. is it because i'm using .10's? if i went back to .9's, would this not happen? i'll gladly go back to .9's as i never go below standard e, not even to drop d.

Thanks a lot.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
wtf are you talking about? when do you have the problem? are you chording? are you shredding? give some actual detail man
what do you mean by this. Do you mean that your hands are big so they mute the g string. Because if you do i had the same problem when playing some chords, but eventually I got better and m fingers started curving when i played, and now i dont really mute any strings when i play on other strings. Just practice and eventually your fingers wont mute the other strings. I have pretty big hands too and mine are pretty pudgy too so there is stilll hope for you.
By the way hows that cube i think im going to go by my local guitar center and pick one up. Hows the distortion
i apologize for being vague. i meant when i'm shredding, and muting with my right hand. the string rings out when i'm not even touching it, and i thought you only had to mute the E and A strings, the D string at most.

the cube is great. it'll get you great cleans and heavy distortion, but anything in between is a little mediocre. still, great amp. get the micro if you don't need to get all that loud, i'm pretty sure there's not much tone difference. try it out in case i'm wrong.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Last edited by SomeDude49 at Nov 15, 2007,
Quote by SomeDude49
thought you only had to mute the E and A strings, the D string at most.

I pretty much lay my whole hand on across all the strings..

I guess you just have to get good at not having extra noise come out.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Vanquish
I pretty much lay my whole hand on across all the strings..

I guess you just have to get good at not having extra noise come out.

wouldn't that just mean you're palm muting every string?

bleh, it's so hard to mute the g string without muting the b string...
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
so how do you get clean highs, like malmsteen and becker?
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
can someone please explain right hand muting? i thought it involved muting the higher gauge strings with your palm while avoiding the lower gauge when playing them. wtf is going on. how am i supposed to play with distortion when i can't even play the right damn strings????
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
could it be my action? i tried it on my older guitar and it doesn't do it, and the g string is the same gauge on both guitars. the action is a little higher on my older guitar. could that be it?

also, i have another question. if i got my guitar set up for .10's, could i change the strings to .9's and not have problems? or do i have to pay another $40 just so i can have a lighter gauge?
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
I suppose the action could affect it. But having proper technique and being able to mute on any guitar is better then relying on a certain setup, don't you think?

If your guitar has a Floyd of other type of locking trem then yeah, you'll need to get it set up if you change gauges(although adjusting the trem yourself isn't really that hard, it can just be time consuming if it's your first time.) But if it has a strat type or no trem, you'll be fine with no adjustment.

EDIT: Video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5zqklRspWM

Any questions?
Last edited by Wonthefu at Nov 15, 2007,