Ok, I picked up an acoustic for cheap. Its pretty much for me to screw around with, I play electric in my band, so I'm set for good tone else wise -- its just a guitar for me to go camping with/bring tot he beach.

its a rogue dreadnought/cutaway like this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Dreadnought-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=519292

but before you go mad on me, I got it for $20 and an old PC nobody was using/wasn't worth much on ebay, so it is an excellent guitar for $20 :P -- hey, it actually has a solid top lol.

TO THE POINT OF THE POST THEN...

anyway, when I pick on my electric guitar, I usually anchor the bottom of my hand to the bridge for picking single notes, although I strum normally.

now on an acoustic guitar this does not work well. My pick isnt over the sound hole, so I get less volume, and I accidentally mute strings a lot. but when I lift my hand up to pick strings over the sound hole, it just is plain uncomfortable.

my hand doesnt feel right floating over the strings, and I cannot pick fast enough. I also miss strings sometimes this way. I feel more in control when my wrist is 100% in control of the movement, I can pick fast and never miss a string that way.

so any advice to getting a better picking technique? I do use strict alternate picking, except for old jazz stuff (mostly crazy chording lol) that is all downstrokes (or metallica style stuff, i.e. master of puppets, but this is an acoustic guitar and an acoustic guitar forum lol)

thanks in advance.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
i anchor my pinky on the pickguard and it works fine, but i guess that doesn't work for you huh? i have no idea
Try anchoring yourself to the part of the guitar just below the hole, only with your pinky, when you pick single notes. Just kind of let it rest against the surface of the guitar. Of course this is a very largely beginner technique, which should make it very useful to you. This works very well for the EBGD strings, and hopefully for the AE strings you can find those without the anchor.

Just hold the pick the way you normally do, and let your pinky extend and rest on the guitar, this should keep your hand from moving too far away from the hole until you're comfortable with it

EDIT: Damn, beat me to it.
^ I can do that, but I do have trouble with the first two. I guess I'll gotta try and practice.

the bottom of my wrist just wants to feel something solid for some reason, but i can get away with your method I guess.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
You'll get much better sound out of an acoustic unanchored - free not just your hand, but your entire arm. I play with a nice tight strap even sitting down; that way I don't need to use my right arm to hold the guitar in place and only my left hand touches wood. When you strum, get your whole arm into it - shoulders, elbow and wrist. I think you'll find that with your hand against the bridge, like an electric player (I know I used to) you dig the strings far too hard in an unpleasant way. Instead, skim the pick through the strings, experimenting with location - it makes a huge difference in sound.

Single note picking is a steep curve going from mostly anchored to hanging free. Once you start to get the hang of it, and realize that you can use your shoulder and elbow to move you up down and around the strings while the wrist just does its thing, the same way on any string, your consistency and control will be improving massively.

Acoustics are much more dependent on the player to create good tone - the better the acoustic, the more responsive it will be to changes in technique. Spend a lot of time LISTENING to yourself play.