so, in college you can have a major and a minor right...

I don't get it. Can these be anything you choose with any combination? Could you major in music and minor in english. Or major in history and minor in philosophy? Is that how it works. And if this is so do you get a degree in both?
yeah i was wondering the same thing like double majors and stuff.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Yes, you can major in one thing and minor in something completely different. You do not receive degrees for minors, and many people minor in something related to their major (same for double majors). If both of your majors are in the same college (since universities are divided up into colleges, like science, languages, business, etc.), it's not quite the same as getting two completely different bachelor's degrees...I think both majors are listed on one diploma, in this case (at least at my university).

I suggest looking up online catalogs of any universities you're interested in attending, as they will have all sorts of degree and major/minor information.
Quote by Rox0r713
I nominate giveitaname87 for UG's "Most likely to be a Serial Killer" award.
I'm in college but I have absolutely no idea how the system works.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
You don't even have to have a minor, the only real reasons to have one are if you need extra units to graduate and want them to add up to something on your transcript or self-enrichment. I myself am a Philosophy major with no minor.
You don't need a minor, many people take one just to fill the credit requirements. I have no minor, but probably will add one sometime. I could complete my major and still have 20ish hours to fill. I'm not going to take 10 bowling classes, 5 rock climbings, and 5 badmintons…

-SD
Quote by Schneiderman
I'm in college but I have absolutely no idea how the system works.

Seconded.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Yeah...minors dont mean a hell of a lot, just basically an area of personal interest, but not something you want a degree in. However, double majors kick ass...its almost like getting 2 degrees, which is really handy, especially when you're doing things that are somewhat unrelated, such as PoliSci and English, which Im doing. Opens up more job possibilities.

Oh, minors do matter if you're going into teaching, you need to have 2 areas of focus that are "Teachables", that is, both your major and minor need to be in programs that are taught in elementary or secondary schools.
Quote by Macank
^^ strat? i want to get a stratocaster sound though!!

Fender Classic 60's Strat
Yamaha AES 720 (On the way!!!)
Ibanez GAX 30
Traynor YCV 40
Boss DS-1
EHX Big Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Ibanez CF-7
Ibanez DE-7
Quote by LolPirates
You don't even have to have a minor, the only real reasons to have one are if you need extra units to graduate and want them to add up to something on your transcript or self-enrichment. I myself am a Philosophy major with no minor.

Is Philosophy class easy? like on a test, can you just answer "why?" ?
Quote by captainjackass

I've taken a fair few Philosophy classes at school.

Some people hate it, some love it. A lot of it is conceptual and abstract. It's much more than just learning how to be a good person or anything like that. If you like that stuff and are good at it, it will probably be relatively easy, although a fair bit of material to know.

I thought about majoring in philosophy, but I didn't think it would be practical in the business world.

-SD
Quote by captainjackass

Depends on the prof. I remember a friend of mine, the final question on an exam in Intro to Philosophy was simply "why" and he replied "why not" and got an A (and yes, I saw the exam). You'll get a feel for each prof and their expectations
Quote by Macank
^^ strat? i want to get a stratocaster sound though!!

Fender Classic 60's Strat
Yamaha AES 720 (On the way!!!)
Ibanez GAX 30
Traynor YCV 40
Boss DS-1
EHX Big Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Ibanez CF-7
Ibanez DE-7
Quote by captainjackass

That might work for entry level classes, but when you get into the more advanced stuff the questions are specific and the profs have at least a standard in mind, though there may not necessarily be only one 'right' answer. I don't think you can make a blanket statement about any subject that it's easy or hard, different people learn differently and are interested in different things. Some people think math is hard, others find it a breeze. That being said, Philosophy is one of the harder subjects to study because it requires a lot of thinking, which most people don't really like to do, and you have to construct good arguments for any position you take, but I enjoy studying it.