Has anybody done this?
Im just wondering what needs to be done to set it up properly, or if this is even a good idea.

Thanks
Not even worth it. The scale is be totally different from bass to guitar, and your strings will be floppy as hell.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
On a normal acoustic, you have 100+ pounds of pressure per string ona 8 pound guitar. with bass strings, your guitar will get anihilated.
Hahaha, ooooh booooy.

I put a D and G string from my bass on an acoustic guitar, it sounded like some gnarly ass baritone. But surpsingly they didn't sound that bad considering they weren't "acoustic" strings.

But no, I would not recommend it.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
My stupid friend did this. You won't get the bass strings around a tuning post. You won't be able to tune the bass. Period. Even after drilling the bridge to get proper string spacing. After refiling the nut. And that's assuming it'd play with 25" scale necks.

I have to ask - did you really think you were onto something? You really think you're the first person to think of this? Like you knew something everyone else didn't? Especially in the day and age where you can buy a 4 string bass/electric banjo doubleneck off eBay?

EDIT: Especially when 99.9% of all acoustic BASSES are pieces of ****ing **** anyway? Like... really?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by dave_o0
Easy skipper, I just wanted to know if it worked.

Ummm, nope.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
what made you think that would work?

no seriously, what interested you in putting acoustic bass strings on an acoustic guitar?
I saw this thread and i thought to myself, "oh yes, another 'silly' question, this will have at least 5 pages of "no" and then the thread-starter wont even bother to reply". At least you came back to check the answers dude.

I think some people need to be a little more civil in the answers they give. We're all friends here...

Just out of interest, what was the effect that you were after? or was it more a case of "i wonder..." ?
Aaaaaaaaactually it does work....kind of.

Like I said I got my D and G strings on a ****ty acoustic guitar I have, obviously I couldn't tune them up much but they were playable.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I think its been done before by a band called juluca but i think the guitar may have been specially constructed for the task.
I also am wanting to try this mainly so I can cover this ([forbidden link]. To see what I'm talking about the bass part comes in at 0:50. I have the 12 string version of that exact guitar he's using if that has to do with anything. So yeah..... any professional help here?
Not the best idea. Also, even if this thread is somewhat relevant it's like 6 years old, no need to pull it from the grave.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass