Ok I play a Strat with what im pretty sure is a swamp ash body. its pretty heavy and i have a bad back. i'm in two bands now and have to actually play up on stage fairly often, and the wheight is getting to be a nuisance. what lighter body woods should i look for in a new strat?
I thought ash was lighter than alder, but I could be wrong.

Before buying a new guitar, try getting a very wide strap, like 2". That way, it lowers the pressure, so it might alleviate your back pain.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Alder is a pretty light wood - Mexican and American Standards are made of alder (some Americans are swap ash too, I think.) I don't know how heavy ash is, but alder is really light. I once picked up a Strat and thought it was plastic and hollow inside.....
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
okay ill look into alder. thanks guys.
i already have a pretty wide strap, not 2 but about 1.5 inches.
^ NICE.

Contoured Neck Heel
7-1/4" radius fretboard

these both help the comfyness of the neck. a LOT. especially chording with the radius, and the high fret access with the contoured heel.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Those Aerodynes are sweet. I almost bought one a year ago. They are a lot lighter, and more comfortable to play. Also look for a used older one (Black w/ aged white body binding). Sounded pretty nice too. The only issue I found was the neck felt small, but thats a preference thing.