ive looked at lessons and many other things but i just dont understand pinch harmonics, can someone make it easier for me to understand??
yeah I don't understand it either. After I pick the note what is the motion I make my hand/wrist do to make it touch the string? I try to do it but my pick ends plucking the open string above it. What am I doing wrong?
Depending on the amount of distortion/overdrive you're using, the type of pickups you're using, and the amp, you're pinch harmonics might not even sound if you're doing them right.

Basically, they're called 'pinch' harmonics because you kind of pinch the pick so that barely ANY sticks out of your pointer finger and them. This way, a bit of your thumb should catch on the string, sounding out the harmonic, depending where your right hand is along the string. Normally, you want to find out where a natural harmonic for the note would be (I'm not the most knowledgable on this part, sorry.), and try to scoot your hand up to that point when you're about to hit that note, pinch the pick, and play it. It's really hard for some people, you just have to keep on trying.

EDIT: As far as hand motion, I personally make a circular movement with my right hand, the circle being perpendicular to the string, and one point on the circle's edge being on the string. If that makes ANY sense at all.. Just kinda rotate your wrist outwards from your guitar.
After you pick, let the string hit your thumb. I pick it just like I pick most any other single note, I just adjust my thumb a very small amount and bend the note.
yeah it took me bout 3 months

you know figured it out by my third month of playing

its tricky

make sure almost no pick is showing and brush the string verry lightly with your thumb

good luck
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

damn.....everyone seems to be having trouble with pinch harmonics.......i learnt it in a matter of minutes after a friend showed it to me. Get someone to show u how to do it......because reading about it and trying it is confusing!
mostly the way i learned it was go to the heavy string on the third fret, use just your bridge pickup for this one as well. Put the pick slightly pointing to the right in your hand so you can hit the string with it and you have more thumb to tap the string after you hit it, you will barely hear it acousticly, but if you have alot of overdrive and gain and distrotion you should hear it, then bend the third fret. It does take alot of practice, but one of the biggest things for me was I was using the wrong pickup.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
well, actually its not all that hard.

it took me a few tries but after that i can hit them on demand.

but yeah, choke up on the pick and let teh string brush your thumb..
you want to be hitting the string at less than a 90' angle. so you'd be kinda moving your hand towards the guitar as well as towards the floor. that way, after the picking motion, you can safely rest your pick on the string below it without sounding it. and that rest point is a good guide for how to touch your thumb to the string.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
right after your pick is leaving your string, your thumb, or w/e finger should be hitting the string.... practice it with lots and lots of gain.... its really hard at first but once you get the hang of it it will be really easy to do, and its really worth knowing.... just practice it dude
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
you need almost no pick showing, and the action has to be so quick and fluid otherwise there'll not be enough sustain (SPEED is maybe he most importnant thing to remember). Another thing to bear in mind is the wide vibrato or bend that makes it sound meaty and deliciuos, grilled to perfection, covered in sweet, sweet, BBQ sauce....

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr haaaaambuuurgeeeerrrrssssss
Yeah, what firequaker said, but REALLY dig in to the string, with a bouncing action. And your angle needs to be going INTO the guitar.
Just for curiosity sake. I learned the art (not perfected, learned) of pinch harmonics. Now except for Billy Gibbons' songs, what other good songs are there that I can implement pinch harmonics in that's not too advanced? I'll rate myself as slighty below intermediate.
Quote by WantzChas
Just for curiosity sake. I learned the art (not perfected, learned) of pinch harmonics. Now except for Billy Gibbons' songs, what other good songs are there that I can implement pinch harmonics in that's not too advanced? I'll rate myself as slighty below intermediate.

Canon Rock, just don't try the sweep
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by WantzChas

Pull a Zakk Wylde and do them at any chance you can. Even if the guitar part is clean, just kivk into overdrive for enough time to pull off a sweet pinch harmonic.
Watch him on youtube, he can incorporate them into ANY FREAKING SONG HE PLAYS.
Oh, my bad. I didn't mean use a motion OUTWARD, but your wrist should rotate like that. Atleast that's how I do it.
like the other guy said to get pinh harmonics.

1.you have to crank gain like crazy so they come out easier
2.choke the pick so when you hit the string ur thumb will follow afterwards and hit the string
3.try messing around with pickups for example most people say that it comes out easier on bridge
4.while trying pinches but trying going up and down the same string and you should have different pitches if not something is not right with your technique for example im able to get harmonic sound but not with different pitches sometimes

this videos may help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFSgY8Be6Bw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5HHl-SQRIo

2nd one i found most helpful
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff