So i can have a Marshall, MG-100DFX for 400 Whit the switchfoot and all teh stuff

The amp is almost new

Good deal?
No. Terrible amps, especially for the money. For that price you can get a Vox AD30VT-XL or maybe even the AD50VT-XL... or a Roland Cube 60. Also look at used 5150's... at that price it might be hard to find one but I've seen them for even cheaper before.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
You'd have to pay me to take an MG.

edit: honestly I could **** in a cardboard box and get a better tone.
agree with everyone else. i dont think you could pay me to use one. well, maybe you can. free money is the best.
First off, the MG is a bedroom practice amp, and not even the best you can get, either. Why would you want a 100W practice amp?

Second, I really doubt you need 100W. Do you have any idea how loud that is? Seriously, 50-60W ss should be enough for any gig you'll ever play, and if the place is big enough to warrant more they'll 100% guaranteed have a PA you can hook up to. And if you go with a tube amp you'll probably only need 30-50W.
IMO they have worse tone than my friggen Spider II, which has horrid tone to begin with. You don't NEED a 100w amp. My friend's 50w Vox solid state (I forget which one he has) goes plenty loud enough to hear in a band, and you need even less if it's a tube amp.
what's the difference between the Vox Valvetronix AD50VT-212 and the Vox Valvetronix AD50VT2?
other than the price
they have almost the exact same product description
Christ, 100w practice amp is not a good idea. Even worse, a 100w MG. Get a tube...

Thats what everyone should be saying
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Not pratice dude i wanna start a old school hardcore band whit a tone that sound kina like madball.
Quote by Hcmanu
Not pratice dude i wanna start a old school hardcore band whit a tone that sound kina like madball.

There's your problem

If you're gigging, do NOT get a solid state. Get a tube.

The thing about solid states is that they are designed to sound best at low volumes. But when you crank them their tone deteriorates rapidly. If you're playing at volumes needed to play over a drummer, it will sound like crap.

The volumes that the guy was playing at in the MG demo video is just about as loud as its gonna get with that quality. But I admit it wasn't bad. You put a drummer right next to him and you won't even hear that amp.

Tube amplifiers are the opposite. They don't sound great at low levels, but the more you crank them up, the better they sound. I have a tube and a solid state, don't say I'm full of ****.

Seriously, if you want a gig rig, do NOT buy a solid state.
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Nov 15, 2007,
Quote by Hcmanu

He wasn't implying you want it for practice, he was implying that the MG is a practice amp.

Seriously, get a tube amp. the Peavey 5150 has already been mentioned. I'm not too familiar with tube combos in the $400 dollar range, but I'm sure someone else will come along who is.
About the Vox's, look at the XL series instead. They are more suited to heavier styles. The 50W (AD50VT-XL) should be great for you.

If you want to play in a band then the MG is DEFINITELY not for you. It sounds pretty bad at normal practice levels, but once you turn it up... ugh. Your ears will want to jump out of your head and go cut themselves. Same with the Spiders, and a lot of other solid state amps.
Quote by mafropetee
IMO they have worse tone than my friggen Spider II, which has horrid tone to begin with. You don't NEED a 100w amp. My friend's 50w Vox solid state (I forget which one he has) goes plenty loud enough to hear in a band, and you need even less if it's a tube amp.

If you're really into metal, the spider isn't a bad choice. IMO the roland cube is much better though.

It seems as though you're considering the MG100watter just because it's much cheaper than on musiciansfreind or somewhere. It's priced that low for a reason. The dude doesn't like it, therefore is getting rid of it.

I would recommend just saving your money. I wouldn't buy another practice amp or anything, I'd save until you could afford something worthwhile.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Vox Valvetronix. You don't need 100 watts. Repeat that a couple of times.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
God, 100watts MG.

This is getting ridiculous.
-Jim Morrison
Invest in a used Peavey 5150, you'll thank me later.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
the guitar player in my band an mg100dfx... and i have a vs100, both 100w stacks. i bought mine for 300 for cab head and footswitch. and even though it was my first amp, and i was 15, and i even told my guitar player not to buy a cheap marshall becuase i didnt like mine and he bought the same amp your talking about for 400 also... and he thinks its the worst decision he's ever made.

i would not reccommend either amps for gigging or playing with a band... the mg SUCKS really badly, believe me i have one sitting here in my basement just save ur money and buy a nice tube amp, you will not regret it all
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb