Okay, I'm going to ask what I think is kind of a silly question.

I'm looking for a Japanese-made Stratocaster with an HSS pickup configuration. Do they even exist? I was hoping someone here would know since I've had very little luck on the internet thus far. Thanks!
Oh, it would just be cool. I know the MIM ones are really pretty nice, I've played on a few, but I'm looking for something kind of unique. Really, it's not that important, but I'm not in a hurry to get a guitar right now, so I figured it would be worth checking into. I just want to know if I'm on a wild goose chase.
I've been hearing MIJs can compete with Made in America Strats for the quality.

thats why i'm going over to japan this winter to check'em out. and hopefully buy one.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ibanezluvr
Made in Japan guitars are known for their quality. You cannot find one unless it is used so if you want one you have to look around.

Absolutely! I'm having a bit of luck on cragislist, but after playing both the SSS and HSS pickup configurations on a MIM strat, I decided I like the sound of the humbucker bridge pickup better than the single coil.

Another question- if I were to obtain a SSS Japanese Strat, would it be possible or even feasible to have a humbucker put in as the bridge pickup?
Quote by ECistheBest
I've been hearing MIJs can compete with Made in America Strats for the quality.

thats why i'm going over to japan this winter to check'em out. and hopefully buy one.

Oh I do wish that were possible. As much as I would like to visit Japan, I'm neither in the financial position to do so nor a good enough guitar player to justify such a trip for that reason alone.
^haha that's only part of the reason i'm goin over. my grandparents (esp. my grandma of my dad's side) aren't doing too well, and i haven't seen them or my cousins and uncles/aunts for like 4 years. so i gotta see them. and see the MIJs too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^haha that's only part of the reason i'm goin over. my grandparents (esp. my grandma of my dad's side) aren't doing too well, and i haven't seen them or my cousins and uncles/aunts for like 4 years. so i gotta see them. and see the MIJs too.

Have fun looking at the great guitars and seeing your family

I, on the other hand, do not have family in Japan. Does make things a bit more difficult
blade make HSS strats. it won't look exactly like a strat, but it'll be MIJ (at least the more expensive ones are, as far as I'm aware). Other alternative is to just get an SSS MIJ strat and get a new pickguard and humbucker, but they might be routed SSS under the scratchplate, which'd make things a lot more awkward...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought mine in 1994, the last year they sold them in the US. Its a Floyd Rose HSS. Great guitar. Good luck.
Thanks everyone for your help.

If you can't find a HSS jap strat then go for an SSS and change it out, I personally am getting a '62 re-issue SSS, oh the sex ^_^

How would I go about doing it? Would that be something I could get a guitar shop to do, or can I do it myself? Honestly, I would be a little worried about fiddling with the guitar without any help, since I don't know a whole lot about their construction. It still sounds like a good idea, even if I have to pay someone to do it.
Do it yourself!
I'll give you a lil' guide, first buy your humbucker and your new pickguard.
Now you've done that take the strings and your pickguard off blah blah, get it so your original pickguard is on it's own. Now start connecting everything to the new pickguard (replacing the bridge single with the humbucker, shouldnt be too hard, I changed the pickups on my Ibanez with VERY little knowledge of soldering and stuff, its easy) then just put back on, connect anythign you deconnected (the output socket most likely) then stick back on, BAM done.
But there IS a slight chance it's routed for SSS in which case taking it to a guitar shop that does that stuff or a luthier will get it done for a reasonable price, unless you want to hit it up with a chisel or something, the messiness won't matter as it's all under a pickguard.