OK, so I'm working on my senior project, and my paper is about electric guitars. I was just wondering if any of you guys wanted to help me out by proofreading what I have so far (about 4 1/2 pages worth) PLease- constructive criticism is welcome, but don't be too harsh. I am open to suggestions, and since it's a work inprogress, I can still change just about everything...So here goes-

Hello there. My name is Josh Kaiser, and I am doing my senior paper on the history, development, and uses of electric guitar in rock music. So kick back, grab a cup of your favorite beverage, and enjoy the show!
To really understand the concept of this paper, one must first know a little bit about rock music in general. Rock music started out in the 1950s. Rock, or originally, “Rock n’ Roll”, originated with the African-American R&B (rhythm & blues) artists such as Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and Little Richard. They were quickly followed by artists like Elvis Presley, Bill Haley and the Comets, and Buddy Holly. Arguably, the first “real” Rock n’ Roll songs were “Rock Around the Clock” by Bill Haley and the Comets, and “That’s All Right” by Elvis.
However, Rock n’ Roll quickly evolved into the original Rock Music with major musical revolutions such as “The British Invasion” in the late 1950s and 1960s, which led to several of the most famous British Rock bands such as The Beatles, The Monkees, The Who, and The Rolling Stones. These bands revolutionized Rock music, and paved the way for most popular music that was to come.
As the years went by, rock music continued to evolve. It began to take a more political stand, and began to get “heavier”. In the late 1970s, a new form of Rock appeared- Hard Rock/ Metal. This Genre produced some of the most well-known rock bands of all time. Bands such as AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Queen, KISS, Aerosmith, etc. However, when it started out, Hard Rock received bad reviews from critics, and remained out of the mainstream. This slowly began to change, and eventually all of the aforementioned bands developed huge followings. Many of them (in various manifestations) continue playing to this day (or at least fairly recently).
The next major genre to come out of rock music was Punk Rock. It was based more on sending a message than actually being “musical”- as shown by the fact that it was played by bands for which expert musicianship was not a requirement, punk was stripped-down, three-chord music that could be played easily. Many punk rock bands wanted to shock the mainstream society as well, by rejecting the “peace and love” culture of the previous decades. Some of the more well-known early punk bands are: The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Dead Kennedys, and X.
In the early 1980s, many bands began to develop new styles like “new wave (more artistic, synthesized music), “hair metal” (characterized by the band members’ appearances such as long hair, makeup, and extravagant clothing), “thrash metal” (aggressive, fast, usually “angry” music), and “alternative rock” (which did not fit into any particular genre).
Starting in the mid 1980s, rock music began to diversify into countless different genres, and this development continues today. Some of the more popular modern genres are “pop-punk”, “indie”, and “pop-rock”, though most of the older genres are still very popular and continue to develop themselves.
The electric guitar originally came about during the “Big Band” era because of the need to play loud enough to be heard above the brass sections in the bands. Originally, electric guitars were simply acoustic guitars with electromagnetic transducers attached to the guitar and an amplifier. However, in 1931, the guitar company Rickenbacker was the first to offer a solid-body electric guitar. In other words, the solid body guitar is one with no resonating airspaces, or hollows, such as in an acoustic. This guitar was nicknamed the “pancake” or “Frying Pan” because of its body shape. In the early 1940s, guitar innovator Les Paul built his own guitar, nicknamed the “Log Guitar”, because it was made of a 4x4 post with a neck and homemade hardware attached. This guitar is widely considered to be the first of its kind.
In 1950 and ‘51, an amplifier builder named Leo Fender began developing his own guitar, which had one pickup and was called the “Esquire”. This was the first commercially successful guitar, and he soon developed a two-pickup version called the “Broadcaster”. However, because the Gretsch company made a drum set called the “Broadkaster”, he was forced to change the name to “Telecaster”.
Later, in 1954, Fender introduced a new guitar, called the “Stratocaster”, which was similar to the “Tele”, but had three pickups instead of two, and had a revised body shape with double cutaways and body comfort contours. Both the “Strat” and “Tele” are still very popular, and remain in production to this day.
Another contemporary design was the Gibson Les Paul. It was originally conceived by the Gibson company as competition for the Fender guitars. It bears the famous pop star, electronics inventor, and accomplished jazz guitarist Les Paul’s name, but he did not have much else to do with the project. Depending on who you hear it from, he only advised on the tailpiece and the color. The Les Paul was more than just a copy of one of the fender guitars- it had a more conventional body shape with a “set” or glued on, neck as opposed to the bolt-on fender necks. It went through several revisions in the early years, and eventually became known for its quality and playability. Aside from the Stratocaster, the Les |Paul is easily one of the most well-known and recognizable guitars ever made, and like the Tele’ and Strat, it remains popular and in production to this day, with countless variants and models, including a very recent one that can tune itself!
Other than the Les Paul, Gibson also offered another very popular guitar- the SG. It was issued in 1961 as a modified Les Paul to help improve sales, with thinner, lighter body and different body shape. SG stands simply for “Solid Guitar” The SG, along with the Les Paul is what most people think of when they hear the name Gibson. Some notable players of the SG include Angus Young of AC/DC and Eric Clapton.
Since the 1950s, the electric guitar has gone through many changes, but the basic designs remain the same. However, the number of manufacturers and models had increased many times what it was in the ‘50s. The body shapes and layouts of guitars are now available in almost infinite combinations. Some of the more common body shapes are the “Soloist” or “JEM” (both modified “Strat” shapes), the “V” and “Rhoads” (both normally associated with metal music and characterized by their pointed V shape), and the “Explorer” (a less common but still popular shape that resembles two “V”s connected point to point).
Some of the more well- known of the many companies that build guitars today (in alphabetical order are:
Dean- Dean Guitars is most famous for making the guitars used by the late “Dimebag Darrell” - the guitarist for the band Pantera. They are also known for making guitars with less-than conventional body shapes, such as “V”s, “X”s, and Dimebag’s signature models. Their guitars are used primarily for playing metal music.
ESP is another company known for making guitars used in metal bands, probably the most famous being Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield’s both being from the band Metallica, signature models. Their guitars mostly have more conventional shapes, such as soloist and Les Paul styles. They are known for making high quality guitars, though their prices reflect that.
Fender is still very much in the guitar making industry, with the Stratocaster in its plethora of visages still being their most popular model. They also have a subsidiary company, Squier, which makes slightly lower-quality, more affordable guitars geared toward the beginning player. Fender guitars are used mostly for blues and jazz-style playing, though they are also used extensively by rock bands.
Gibson is also still very popular, and like Fender, their most popular guitars are still the early models- the Les Paul and SG. Both types have been released in several different models over the years. Gibson has also marketed an “explorer” design, as well as a “V”, along with several others. Their guitars are used for all different styles of music, from metal to jazz, and have an almost unmatched reputation for quality. They also sell less expensive versions of their guitars through their child company Epiphone.
Ibanez is also known for making good-quality guitars, and most of their body shapes are similar to that of the Stratocaster. They also make a few other shapes. Their guitars are mostly used for rock music in general, especially hard rock/ metal.

After this, here's what's in my outline for therest of the paper-

Jackson
Paul Reed Smith
D. Use of Guitar in music
1. Early-“Big Bands”
2. Evolution of Playing Uses
a. Background
b. Growing
c. Rhythm
d. Lead
Parts of Guitars
E. Body
1. Woods
a. Maple
b. Alder
c. Ash
d. Mahogany
e. Other
2. Bridge
a. Fixed
b. Tremolo
c. String-Through
d. Floyd Rose
3. Pickups
Single-Coil
Humbucker
Dimebucker
Passive/Active
F. Neck
1. Woods
2. Fingerboard
3. Frets/scale
4. Tuners
5. Nut
G. Electronics
1. Knobs
2. Onboard effects
Building a Guitar
H. Kits
I. Tools
J. Materials
K. Construction
1. body
2. neck
3. wiring

However, none of this is written in stone, so I can change it around.
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Member of UG's Christian Guitarists
Asking UG to read that is like asking Krusty the Clown to read all 1337 words of the Declaration of Independence
Quote by Kensai
I'm no fancy doctor, but it sounds like you've got the clap.

you expect me to read that?!
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
lol *walks away*
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Many punk rock bands wanted to shock the mainstream society as well, by rejecting the “peace and love” culture of the previous decades. Some of the more well-known early punk bands are: The Ramones,

the ramones did not try to send any messages out there, and they were the first family of punk rock, it was good old rock n roll, just sped up.
i liked it
if i was a teacher i would give that an a
Send me off to bed forevermore.
It's never a good idea to start a paper off with something such as "This is my senior paper and it is about.......". Try something more along the lines of:

The electric guitar is an essential tool in playing rock music. Over the years there have been drastic improvements in the technology used to make this tool. As time goes by musicians continue to change the method and the style in which they play resulting in various genres of music.

Of course there are also the basic English rules of thumb

- avoid all forms of get or got

- write in the active voice

- Vary sentence length and structure.

Also at various points throught the writing try to include something that will bring the reader back to the main topic of the electric guitar and not get to carried away with things like geners of music and guitar companies.

One thing I notied you were doing well is that you were using the pronoun "one" instead of the pronoun "you"
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Last edited by Ironbodom at Nov 16, 2007,
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Nobody will take your paper seriously if you actually use that for the beginning.

+1000000000
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
I liked. I was gonna say "wall of text, run away" until I started reading.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Nobody will take your paper seriously if you actually use that for the beginning.

yeah, I knew that I was going to have to change that sooner or later.
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Member of UG's Christian Guitarists
If you e-mail me that, I'll give you the craziest grammatical critique possible. You probably won't like it (this is not a judgement since I haven't really read the paper), but my expository wirting prof (roughly = honors comp II) has said I give great peer reviews.

PM me if you're interested.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Ahh, I remember my senior project. It was an 11 page paper on Satire, a big chunk of it was on Jonathan Swift and Stephen Cobert. I even had a bit on Spinal Tap.
/nostalgic moment

And TS, try not to make your intro sound like the begining of a Troy Mclure video.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Quote by iceman_8319
Ahh, I remember my senior project. It was an 11 page paper on Satire, a big chunk of it was on Jonathan Swift and Stephen Cobert. I even had a bit on Spinal Tap.
/nostalgic moment

And TS, try not to make your intro sound like the begining of a Troy Mclure video.

Ha ha! Well played!

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by iceman_8319

Anyways, yes please change that intro. I would also try and be a tad more creative. I'm tired as all hell right now and probably not much use to you, but if you send me a copy, I can help you out if you want.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .