I am a beginning guitarist with a fender fat strat MIM, i am looking to buy a 5W tube amp because i just want to play in my room. i am looking at the palomino v8, peavey royal 8 valveking, and the epi vj combo. i want to buy used because of budget

i haven't been able to find a palomino v8 used even though i heard this is the best of the 3, so which is better, the valve king or the epi vj note, i am saying combo, i can't afford the head and cab, it is out of my budget.

also, if another amp could do the trick better, please recommend one. i mainly want to play clapton and the beatles, maybe some zeppelin.
a good way to sound like clapton
get an es-335 or a les paul or an SG
with a marshall tube amp
turn the treble tone knob down to one
put some overdrive on
play away
This is called the "woman tone"
I plays guitars.
get an old 60's fender tube amp and poke a few little holes in the cone, its right on
Christ, lots of Clapton haters.

Y'all got no reason to hate clapton.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
where? i'm off to wipe'em all out!!! lol.

which claptone are you talking about TS? he's got a lot. my personal favorite is his modern tone, playing his strat through a '57 Tweed-Twin amp. He had a lot more, including the tone in "The Beano" album, a cranked marshall and a Les Paul's bridge pickup. his layla tone, using a cranked Tweed Champ from the 50s playing his 'brownie' thorugh it. His '80s tone i guess, with his strat loaded with lace sensors through Soldano Stacks. so the 'key' to getting his tone, is a 'cranked' amp.

Quote by rip3149
get an old 60's fender tube amp and poke a few little holes in the cone, its right on

no. that's really harsh nasty nasal distortion. and '60s fender tube amps are blackfaces. they are meant to be clean, so clapton didn't do any of that. if you think what you "hear" is like clapton after doing that, u might need to use Q-tips.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i mainly mean the blues, like when he played with john mayall or the band, or when he was with derek and the dominos. i know i can buy expensive equipment to sound like him, but i am on a tight budget (no more than 150), and going to buy used, and already have a mim fat strat. i just want to know which tube amp would be best for that, or if not tube amp, any other amp that would fit into my budget
well... that's kinda... hard... 150 is a real tight budget for amps...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
check ebay for used fender tube combos.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Quote by ECistheBest
well... that's kinda... hard... 150 is a real tight budget for amps...

Yeah, because even with a VJ combo, you're going to need a good OD for bedroom levels. I would suggest getting a VJ or Palomino, and a Danoelectro FAB OD to go with it for $15. If you're a n00b, you aren't going to be able to tell the difference between a Fab and a TS9, so get the fab for now, and upgrade to a TS9 or TS808 down the road.
Fender Champ 600....how did you miss that one???

Rumour has it he mainly used a cranked Fender Champ to record 'Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs', though obviously the reissue isn't a patch on the original.
Still, I reckon it's pretty much ideal - also get yourself an overdrive pedal too so you don't have to crank it to antisocial volumes all the time!
so basically, any small 5 W tube amp will be able to do the trick with the right overdrive pedal, including the peavey royal 8, correct?
Royal 8 has awesome crunch with an OD. Definitely better than VJ.
how about the solo in let it be by the beatles. would a 5w tube amp with a bad monkey be best for that, or should i look for another amp in that price range.
Try some fender blues combos, or a Laney LC30 has a really really nice clean bluesy tone.

edit: Ah.. maybe not the Laney at this stage.
Even a twin reverb is good for Blues... remember, it's not all about distortion. You've gotta have a good clean to work off of, and then overdrive/distort from there.
Current Rig:
Fender CS Eric Clapton Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Digitech Crossroads Pedal

In the stereo: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed