Hi there

I basically had it with all the Solid-State bashing, so I decided to tube up.

Right now I am deciding between two amps, a Peavey Valveking 112, or a Fender Deville Hot Rod.

I can get the Peavey VK at my local Best Buy brand new for $320, but a beautiful Deville was posted in my local classifieds for $450, with the plastic still on it.

My debate though isn't money. I have played both amps but I seriously don't know what will suit me best in the long run. I basically play either Strokes, Zeppelin, and other classic rock sounding music, or Metal.

I have a slight prefernce to the Stroke-ish tone in what I play, but I do have to shred now and then so I don't know if the Deville can hack it.

Can a VK produce a good blue-ish/rock tone with proper distortion?

And will the Deville handle Metal well enough not to sound terrible, and at least let me shred on it while sounding tolerable?

I understand these are two very different amps, and both are almost dedicated to one style of music... but I just want to know which will give me that extra bit of versatility.

thanks much!
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Considering metal, valveking. Normally id suggest the fender but it just wont really do metal great. Maybe with a metal muff or some type of high gain preamp petal but I'd try it first. The valveking isnt a great metal amp, but all around its ok and *will* do some high gain stuff, it just dosent have any nasty distortion from like a mesa or something.
I own a Deville 4x10 and I wasn't thrilled with the dirty channel, so I just put a TS9 in front of it. Problem solved, and I play just about everything. Besides, the cleans are so creamy, I would say 450 is a steal. (List is just over 1100)
I've also got a Fender Deville, but it sounds to me like a ValveKing would better suit your style.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
If you want onboard distortion get the Valveking, if you want godly clean tones get the Hot Rod...it's a pretty clear-cut decision.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The cleans on the Valveking aren't as sparkling as a Fender, but aren't bad at all. Very versitile with plenty of gain (would need a pedal for modern metal.)
Well I guess overall I prefer the Deville's tone

Mainly I just want a Blues-ish, clear tone that can go dirty with some distortion, never anything harder than Zeppelin I'd say.
Ya know, clean with a tad of distortion. Gives it a harder, bitier sound, but maintains the clarity

I have my own distortions, so amp distortion ain't a problem.

I don't need it to sound too amazing with Metal, just not horrible, so that I could play it around friends and stuff jamming and not be embarassed.

hmm.. well a Deville at $450 that still has the plastic on it, plus footswitch and case is a pretty good deal to me.

And yes, some Best Buys have Music centers, but only select ones. I suggest if any of you want VK's to check your listings and go to one, as they are discontinuing selling them there and are selling them $320 brand new (for the 112's)

But would a Peavey sound warm enough for the Blues? If I bought a pedal or something?

Thanks again!
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Get the Deville, great for blues and classic rock. The Valveking is a nice amp, but suited to higher gain. If your only ultra-high gain needs are for fun, then you can always do what I do: run pedals for a useable (but underwhelming) high gain tone for messing around, then cut them out for the mid-lower gain tones you're really after. The Deville is better for more of what you play.

PS, I'm glad you're finially getting a nice Tube amp! (after reading sig)
Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. Exactly. I only play Metal to screw around, not seriously. I figure the Deville should suit me well then, and maybe I'll by a Jackyll/Hide Distortion if the built-in distortion doesn't cut it.

Yea believe me, me too. I'm selling the AVT Saturday and the second it's out the door, I'm going to get my Deville.
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Hell, grab a used Metal Muff and save yourself $30. If you just want...wait, the Jackyll%Hyde is a OD and a distortion. Good call, then.