Alright so heres my problem. I'm in a metal band right now and i noticed at my last practice that my guitar was sounding kind of muddy... chunky i guess? its just didnt sound smooth really, when i turn the amp down, its sounds perfectly fine. My Amp is a Peavey bandit 112, my pedal is a digitech distortion factory, and the guitar im using now is a B.C. Rich Warlock (the bronze series). im just wondering if anyone has any idea. Im no expert in the sound equipment department.
oh yea i forgot to mention, im actually using .008 strings right now (someone got em for me without knowing what size to get.) and i know that cant be good for my sound either
well to be honest, your not going to ever get a good sound with a digitech bro. what pickups are you running with? upgrade to a jackson or an ibanez. that's just my opinion.
i tried speaking to god, the skies were empty.
How high did you turn up your amp? The Peavey Bandit is supposed to be a pretty decent solid state amp, but in general solid states sound quite bad when cranked.
Quote by kyrreca
How high did you turn up your amp? The Peavey Bandit is supposed to be a pretty decent solid state amp, but in general solid states sound quite bad when cranked.

i agree. if you really want to crank it, just get an all tube amp and push the tubes.
oh yea i know the digitech isnt great. and im actually using the pickups that came with the guitar. theyre both bc rich humbuckers. and i actually am upgrading to a jackson king V as soon as i pay for the rest of it
It sounds like the TS has played loud before and not experienced the problem. Have you turned it up louder than what you would normally play at and only just noticed the difference?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
well then your only problem would be the muddy sound right? i say just get a tube amp and run a boss through it or something.
Quote by ChristGrinder
i agree. if you really want to crank it, just get an all tube amp and push the tubes.

well i was thinking about getting a cab to hook up to the amp, i mean i dont have to much spare money at this point laying around. i was thinking hooking a cab up to it would let me crank it up a bit more and i could get a good head when i had enough money, would that work?
^That will not work because it is the actual amp that needs to be cranked. You cannot crank transistors no matter how much you turn it up. To sound good at high volume, you need a tube amp. Cabinets do not have tubes in them. You may have to save up for a while or try playing at lower volumes.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Sometimes reverb helps, reverb helps everything. lol

You do need a tube amp though, there really is no other way.
Your amp is muddy because you're turning it up too loud. Same effect like when you turn a stereo too loud.

easy and cheap fix- turn everyone else down, that way, no one is clipping, and distorting their gear.

no so easy and cheap- new amp.

that should do you.

as for the external cab, does your amp have an ext out? they arent too common on smaller amps. if yours does not have one, it would be useless.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by PurpleFlavoured
Sometimes reverb helps, reverb helps everything. lol

You do need a tube amp though, there really is no other way.

There is. It's just expensive and not really worth the cost

But yes. A valve amp would be the best option. Since you're playing metal, I'd recommend a Peavey 5150 (used, of course) or a Randall RG50TC. You'd have to save up for them, but it would be well worth it
Quote by dark_bard
well i was thinking about getting a cab to hook up to the amp, i mean i dont have to much spare money at this point laying around. i was thinking hooking a cab up to it would let me crank it up a bit more and i could get a good head when i had enough money, would that work?
I think buying an inexpensive cab, while saving up for a decent high-gain, tube-head, is both a good rig-building strategy, and a good short-term solution.I plugged my crappy solid-state 15-Watt Crate speaker output into a cheap 4x12 cab, and it sure sounded a LOT "bigger" AND "better."

Once you get the cab, then start saving for the used RG50T or 5150/6505 head (you'll LOVE it), which will be an easy step-up, since you'll already have the cab. Even if your cab isn't that great, a good head on a cheap cab still sounds about 10-billion times better than a crap head through a cheap cab.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 16, 2007,
^ Still, if they have to turn the amp up loud enough for it to clip they are still going to have the same problem, just with more speakers for it to go through.
Quote by Denthúl
^ Still, if they have to turn the amp up loud enough for it to clip they are still going to have the same problem, just with more speakers for it to go through.
True, but from what I discovered while experimenting with my Crate through the 4x12, I bet he could wring out noticeably more volume and overall "oomph," before reaching that point.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

well if you replace the guitar, the pickups, the pedal and the amplifier, you should be able to get the tone you're after
See.....big sunglasses, not Emperor sunglasses, BIG sunglasses
Quote by Phillipa C.
well if you replace the guitar, the pickups, the pedal and the amplifier, you should be able to get the tone you're after
Nah . . . you could have a sh*t guitar, with sh*t pick-ups, and when played through the right set-up, it can sound totally f*cking amazing. Try playing a Hello Kitty Strat through a 6505 or a Soldano SLO. It'll blow you away. Also, with right tube-pedal or tube-preamp, his little SS amp would totally rock.

well thank you for the help guys, all i know is that im going to be saving up for a tube amp, ill figure out a short term solution so i can play my first couple shows
Quote by dark_bard
well thank you for the help guys, all i know is that im going to be saving up for a tube amp, ill figure out a short term solution so i can play my first couple shows

If the venue where you're gonna be performing has some kind of PA system, you could mic up your amp. That would give you a decent sound at a loud enough volume.
Quote by dark_bard

could always get a PODxtLive if a tube amp isnt in the works yet. modelling preamps arent there yet in 100% replicating tube amps, but they are at least a better alternative to just using a solid state.
http://www.myspace.com/wolfblackblues
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...