this may sound like a stupid question but im only new to bass and i was just wondering, do guitar effects such as distortion, wah pedals etc. work for bass.
member of the Australia FTW! group (pm the random hero or alter bridge to join (aussies only)
If you even think about using a Big Muff, thefitz will eat your family.
Fler Ismaskiner!
Quote by Eklund
If you even think about using a Big Muff, thefitz will eat your family.

What's wrong with big muffs on bass? I've heard of a few pros doing it...
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
One pedal no-one's ever thought of using on bass is the Rocktron Zombie. I use one, and it's amazing! It has piles of low-end, so you don't end up sounding tinny. Sounds gash on guitar, but it's great on bass!
In general, they will work badly.

Yes, the Big Muff is used by some pros, but destroys your low end. While it keeps the low mid area, it gets rid of the bass. Early Metallica shows tis clearly, as there is no true bass in the music. Listen to it through a good hi-fi system, and to more or less quote thefitz, nothing is coming from the subwoofer.

Muse do this too, however, the bassist knows it destroys low end, so bi-amps, sending one signal through the Muff to one amp, and sending an identical signal clean to the amp, so keeping the low end of the clean signal.

However, in short, why force a guitar pedal to work as opposed to buying a pedal built for it. Some are universal pedals, that could be used with anything, but make sure it can work with bass frequencies before you buy it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
There are effects pedals made specifically for bass e.g. the Boss MeB20 multi effects that has distortion, wah, flange, delay,chorus, octave etc etc - its a multi effects deal and its works great.

I used a strait guitar fuzzz pedal w/bass once at a live gig and it was terrible sounding and bad for the amp. I would say if you want/need effects buy something specifically made for bass and like gm jack said bi-amping is a very good idea.
BASS
Quote by Full

like gm jack said bi-amping is a very good idea.

Actually, I think of it as just a very expensive way for stubborn guitar pedal users to still have al ow end.

If you have to have a guitar pedal in your chain, then this is a must to maintian your full range.

Though some bassists do do it with bass pedals anyway to get a unique tone (blending effects and clean signals together) I still say go for a Bass pedal. For nearly every guitar pedal, there is a bass pedal somewhere out their which can get an increadibly similar tone, while giving low end. All it takes is a bit more serching and realising what sounds good on guitar is not always do for bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1