Poll: 6505 vs Fireball
Poll Options
View poll results: 6505 vs Fireball
Peavey 6505
12 40%
ENGL Fireball
18 60%
Voters: 30.
Right, my last thread narrowed down my new amp choices from a 6505 or 6505+ to just the 6505, then I realised that the ENGL Fireball was in the same price bracket

So I want opinions on which would provide a better tone
I play in a modern metal band and use a tone similar to that of The Black Dahlia Murder and Dethklok
I play metal ranging from Maiden and Metallica to Nile, and everything inbetween

Not too concerned about cleans, I rarely use them

Guitars:
Jackson RR3 and JS30KV

Thanks in advance
ohai little sig.
i compared the engl fireball with the 5150
result:

peavey

pros:
- one of the best metal sounds
- endless gain
- wonderful dark sound
- a beast for metal (oh i already mentioned that)

cons:
- no useful cleans (with an EQ and effect pedal it gets better)
- very loud (dont even try to play without noisegate)
- you can play metal and thats it (edit: it has a crunch channel too!!!)

engl fireball

pros:
- unbeliefable metal sound
- brilliant clean sound (though no fender cleans)
- quiet

cons:
- you can play metal and clean...and thats it (though you can get a nice crunch if you want.)
- very bright, modern sound (i dont have a problem with that, but some have...)
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
Last edited by dickeskind at Nov 16, 2007,
Use the Fireball for the br00talZ

No serious, the FB also has some decent cleans.. Wich the 6505 doesn't, even though you won't use them

I own a FB, and it totally rocks.. Only thing is, can't be anything but Super HighGain or clean.. there is no in between

Maybe try both amps next to eachother, so you can clearly tell the difference?
Quote by dickeskind

cons:
- no useful cleans (with an EQ and effect pedal it gets better)

- you can play metal and thats it

both of those points are just wrong- the cleans are usable and you can play far more than metal as long as you use the other channel and don't EQ like a monkey.
I havn't tried the Fireball (unfortunately ) but the 6505 and 6505+ are epic.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
ok i tryed them both for 2 weeks next to each other so i know what im saying

but you're right the 5150 has a crunch channel..forgot about that
and for the cleans: compared to the fireball the peavey has no useful cleans (and thats my personal ****ing opinion...and i know that there are many who like the cleans....though they all own the amp and arent objective any more...)
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
Quote by dickeskind
ok i tryed them both for 2 weeks next to each other so i know what im saying

but you're right the 5150 has a crunch channel..forgot about that
and for the cleans: compared to the fireball the peavey has no useful cleans (and thats my personal ****ing opinion...and i know that there are many who like the cleans....though they all own the amp and arent objective any more...)

you obviously didnt realise that you need to put the pre gain down and post up for nice cleans. the 6505 is okay for crunch but not great unless you have an external od. 6505 gives you a more 90s metal tone like machinehead, but there is a helluva lot of midrange to it and it is very tinny live.

i just got a carvin v3 and it pwns it really. more modern sound and outstanding cleans, great crunch and thick and intense mode. Got it for £370 which was unbelievable. Might try a dual amp 6505 ad v3 via 2x12s setup for a laugh.
Last edited by kriscornella2@g at Nov 16, 2007,
best if you can try the two head to head- phone the wembley guitar centre to see if they have both in stock.

i'd say it's personal preference as to which you prefer- the fireball has better cleans, but doesn't really have anything in-between all-out-modern-metal and clean, while the 5150's cleans aren't great, but it does better rock tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Personally...I think the Fireball is like a less loud 6505...You absolutely cant go wrong with a 6505 though. So many death metal bands fall back to them even after using ENGL's and others. New Black Dahlia is all 5150 in case you would have like to know.

Nile's tone is pretty much crank everything and scoop the mids. Dethklok's tone is obtainable with a 6505 as well as all the others. You just cant loose on the peavey. I think the ENGL is just overpriced for what you get IMO. Im saving up for a blackmore but its got more of a sound
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by Dave_Mc
best if you can try the two head to head- phone the wembley guitar centre to see if they have both in stock.

i'd say it's personal preference as to which you prefer- the fireball has better cleans, but doesn't really have anything in-between all-out-modern-metal and clean, while the 5150's cleans aren't great, but it does better rock tones.

I'm going Wembley GC in about 5 minutes to try out the Fireball along with a few other amps in the same price bracket
ohai little sig.
you live in england, so the Engl should be a lot cheaper than the Peavey, right? Then go for Engl
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
I didn't realize they were actually so close in price:

Peavey 6505+: $1,159 USD
Engl Fireball : $1,274 USD

I have an Engl preamp, and love its sound. Just got a non-plus 6505, and love it too!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by Demonikk
I'm going Wembley GC in about 5 minutes to try out the Fireball along with a few other amps in the same price bracket

yeah, basically try everything they have, other engls too, and the other peaveys, marshalls, mesa etc.. they have a soundproof booth too, which is cool.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Same boat here buddy...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by LEVEL4
I didn't realize they were actually so close in price:

Peavey 6505+: $1,159 USD
Engl Fireball : $1,274 USD

I have an Engl preamp, and love its sound. Just got a non-plus 6505, and love it too!

where I am, a new 6505+ costs almost 500 bucks more than a fireball. here, it's an easy choice. stupid swedish pricelists
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
where I am, a new 6505+ costs almost 500 bucks more than a fireball. here, it's an easy choice. stupid swedish pricelists
I haven't played a Fireball. But if it's anything like my Engl preamp, I would definitely get the Engl over the 6505. Engls just sound really bad ass. I was just looking for a "different" sound, so I got the 6505.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

although the 6505 and engl have different tones, i feel that the tone quality of the engl is far superior to the 6505, it is just a sonically better sounding amp.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.