Page 1 of 3
I absolutely love the Clash and have all their LPs minus Cut the Crap. I've heard that it was a very mixed CD in terms of how it was received. Are there any key tracks on here I should maybe check out or do you think the whole CD is worth listening to?
It's worth a listen. Just don't try and listen to both CD's all at once.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Any clash song after 1979 is not worth listening to.

What the Clash did in the 80's was make good value records for their audience by making songs out of one simple repetitive boring riff, as opposed to using 2 or 3 for each song.

This meant that they could easily bring out double and triple albums full of crap that the "punks" lapped up like kittens and milk.
Are you talking about Sandinista or Cut the Crap? Your title says one thing, but your question seems to say another. As for Cut the Crap, I think "This is England" is the one universaly agreed upon good song on the album. As for Sandnista, I think theres about one albums worth of great songs, followed up by another album of experiments and filler.
Sandinista is full of experiments, from time to time I listen to it, for example Broadway or Washington Bullets are good Reggea, so yes, it´s worth listening even for the political name of the album.....

....Cut the Crap is not that good, I would hate it if it wasn´t The Clash, there a big 80s pop influence on it
Quote by jwilson987
Are you talking about Sandinista or Cut the Crap? Your title says one thing, but your question seems to say another. As for Cut the Crap, I think "This is England" is the one universaly agreed upon good song on the album. As for Sandnista, I think theres about one albums worth of great songs, followed up by another album of experiments and filler.

^Yeah it doesn't make sense. I haven't got 'Cut the Crap' but I have 'Sandinista!' and I love it. There's a lot of filler but the good tracks are worth the money. Most of all I love the diversity. Theres rockabilly, ska, funk, punk, dub, folk, waltz so it's a pretty interesting album. It takes London Calling one step further, though the consistency is a bit off.

Still it's worth the getting for any Clash fan and there are some great lyrics.
Yeah I love how they included the big fold out lyric sheets in all the reissued Clash cd's. They also quote a Phil Ochs song in 'Up in Heaven (Not Only Here)' which I only recently realized.
Listen to the first album and pretend the rest doesn't exist.
The crapness of the second album is always blamed on Sandy Pearlman.

But Blue Oyster Cult make the Clash look like they were playing.
The only outstanding track on Sandanista is their cover of Eddy Grant's "Police On My Back."
The only other track that doesn't suck is "The Midnight Log".

"Magnificent Seven" is a complete rip-off of Roxy Music's "Love Is The Dug."

Roxy Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_KFebLWpY0

Clash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpJuE9-nZMQ
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
yeah i must say that London Calling also has half good songs, half CRAP songs. personally I think the Clash are overrated. the first album is gold tho.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
"Magnificent Seven" is a complete rip-off of Roxy Music's "Love Is The Dug."

They may have reimagined the music to that song, but I personally think it was the lyrics and the style of delivery that made Magnificent Seven unique and, imo, a better song than Roxy Music's tune. There weren't a lot of white groups incorporating rap or hip hop elements into their music at that time. Not to mention the political overtones of the tune as well. Classic strummer lyrics, if not classic Clash music.
Quote by jwilson987
There weren't a lot of white groups incorporating rap or hip hop elements into their music at that time.

Blondie had a number one hit in America with the rap-meets-rock song "Rapture".
That kind of multi-million dollar worldwide success and acclaim spawned a host of imitators.

The Clash, being the trendy posers that they were, jumped on the bandwagon for $$$$.
Then Malcolm McClaren jumped on the bandwagon with....

Do You Like Scratchin'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB9xuB6Hhbs
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Quote by Mav-16
yeah i must say that London Calling also has half good songs, half CRAP songs. personally I think the Clash are overrated. the first album is gold tho.

The only songs that I don't think are fantastic off London Calling are Koka Kola, Wrong' Em Boyo and Four Horsemen. Everything else is perfect. But to each his own.
Blondie had a number one hit in America with the rap-meets-rock song "Rapture".
That kind of multi-million dollar worldwide success and acclaim spawned a host of imitators.

The Clash, being the trendy posers that they were, jumped on the bandwagon for $$$$.
TQUOTE]

I didn't say they were the first, only one of the first. I may have to quibble with you a bit on the clash jumping on that bandwagon for money. I don't see a song with marxist angle about work earning them any great fortunes. I doubt they had any illusions about that. They got their fortune from rock the casbah, combat rock and mtv. I may agree that they were trying to be at the front end of a new style and wanted to be remembered as a band that embraced it early. They certainly had their motives, I just don't see the money thing.

As for Blondie and I don't claim to be an expert on this group, but I don't recall any other ventures into the hip hop realm for them. If I recall, they went in an even more mainstream direction, even moreso than the clash ever did. Also, the fact that they were from New York City and their quick abaondoning of the hip hop element, seem a lot more bandwagon jumping, money hungry, and calculating than the clash ever were. Not that I thought you trying to make a case for blondie having more integrity or being a better band than the clash...
When Blondie rapped, it was amazing. When the Clash rapped, it was meh
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Now that's unfair.

The Clash have a few good songs, like "Career Opportunities" and... errr.....

The Clash have a good song.

PS.) Career Opportunities with the guitars, as opposed to the version on Sandanista where they got choirboys in (wtf?)

At least Mick Jones got laid that year.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Now that's unfair.

The Clash have a few good songs, like "Career Opportunities" and... errr.....

The Clash have a good song.

hahahahahaha....Yeah, I liked The Clash for like...5 minutes...
i only have their self titled and london calling, which is the next one i should get?
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
That doesn't mean he doesn't molest children.

Mick Jones isn't even Catholic.

You see where I'm going with this.
Quote by Ska Wars
i only have their self titled and london calling, which is the next one i should get?

Well, if you like both of those albums, I think the best choice would be give 'em enough rope. It's kind of a mix between the two, with more similarities with the first album though.
So what, it's un punx to like any Clash album after the first one now?

I guess I'm teh lamez0RZ then, because I luuuuurvs London Calling.

It's one of my favorite rock albums, and it's still 9.99 or less no matter where you go.
When did the Clash do rap?

Johnny Rotten did a rap song with Afrika Bambataa which isn't that bad, and has a political message, and of course there's Dee Dee King.

Blondie is stoopid.
Right Here

Blondie is one of the most amazing bands ever, just so you know

Something everyone will enjoy, might be old
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by the glue man
When did the Clash do rap?

Johnny Rotten did a rap song with Afrika Bambataa which isn't that bad, and has a political message, and of course there's Dee Dee King.

Blondie is stoopid.

He also did one called World Destruction with some rap group (same person?). That one ruled.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

It's one of my favorite rock albums, and it's still 9.99 or less no matter where you go.

UHHHHHHHH no. i just saw it like 2 weeks ago for like 13.99 and the special two disc thing for like 17 bucks.
Quote by Mav-16
UHHHHHHHH no. i just saw it like 2 weeks ago for like 13.99 and the special two disc thing for like 17 bucks.

Well, wherever you live sucks, because it's always $9.99 when I see it.
I bought Combat Rock on sale for $9.99 too. *-)
The Clash were more like model's playing whatever was a huge seller at that point.

they played punk
recorded a few reagge songs (I do like there early stuff tho)

bob marley said they were great, tours england, 2nd wave ska comes

clash record london calling, using the politics to and cheap liberal bull **** just to scam everyone into buying there records - but it's just the most AMAZING album ever (hahaha yeah right)

clash get to sandinista further spreading the "creative musical liberal cheap buy-our-record ****"
wow, they made CBS so happy didn't they?

clash record combat rock, combining new wave, dance, and arena rock.

Mick Jones leaves, then Strummer recruits a bunch of whimps, and records the worst album ever (cut the crap)

right so during these 6, 7 or so years the "models" that the Clash were are going to be fully presented.

days of 76, pub rock is still big, so they dress like it.....
77 white riot, they pretty much wear the same clothes but write "p00nx" stencils and such

punk becomes HUGE, so they dress like it, leather bondage and gelled spikey hair and all

79/80, after the success of London Calling, they tour america, dressing like rockabilly dudes cuz the americans just love it.

they continue to do this for the next few years, (cuz all they do is pretty much tour america to make hella money - OH and to spread the MESSAGE! lol.....

ANYWAYS, mick jones leaves, clash return to the "handsome-good looking punk rockers" and they finally split

THANK GOD.

/rant
You know, I can basically tell everything you just said is brainless by your horrifying way of structuring a paragraph, your use of the "Cruise Control for Cool" button, and your misuse of punctuation.
^ Nay, Mav-16 spraeche the troth.

Also notice how in '77 the clash sing "we don't care about long hair", yet by '78, Mick Jones returns to his "long haired hippie" look.
Page 1 of 3