okay dork-noses, i have a lame strat copy-copy, as i call it, my first ever electric, and I want to keep it around, i'm 16 and earn about 150 (australian) part-time work per week, so i don't like flaunting cash everywhere.

I want to install ONE decent pickup, a humbucker especially applicable in metal/thrash/extreme etc, to go on the bridge position and let pussies know what time it is (flava flaaav!!)

I always have decent strings and have perfected the action, so no worries there, and i polish the fretboard more than jesus polishes les claypool's knob, so all I really want is to make the guitar look pretty (will figure out myself), and put one decent pickup on the sucker.

I can find decent new/barely used appropriate pickups on eBay in australia, but my question is:
How do I install it to ensure no annoying unnatural feedback and how do I rig the wiring (noob and proud), how can I ensure the strings being in line with the pickup, and can anyone suggest a decent brand/range of pickups.

I'll be spending no more than about 150 American.
seymour duncan hot rails if the hole is the size of a single coil.. if you've got room for a humbucker, then go with an emg 81 or a dimebucker... i would save my money for a new guitar if i were you, though.
my shiz:
dean razorback explosion
agile septor 7 string
all monster/mogami cables

peavey JSX
peavey triple xxx cab

howabout some precision metal, ladies and gentlemen?
www.myspace.com/flawlessamongthefallen
Quote by anti-goth
seymour duncan hot rails if the hole is the size of a single coil.. if you've got room for a humbucker, then go with an emg 81 or a dimebucker... i would save my money for a new guitar if i were you, though.

Do NOT buy a dimebucker. Buy an emg 81 or seymore duncan blackout.
A Seymour Duncan JB would be pretty nice in the bridge, it is a hot pickup with nice tone. They are about 65USD+shipping. You could get one of them shipped from USA to Australia if you look around on ebay.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Do NOT buy a dimebucker. Buy an emg 81 or seymore duncan blackout.

The EMG 81 would be tricky to install, (assuming the guitar has a neck and middle pickup which he wants to still use) as emg=active, others=passive.
thanks for the info.

there's a decent blackout for 90 Australian right now, and i've looked at an EMG 81 in USA too. Thanks.

Oh, and I don't intend to/ want to use the crappy single coils that came with my thrashmaster strat copy-copy, and Im happy to carve out the insides a bit to fit the pckup, within reason of course.
Last edited by kurbo at Nov 16, 2007,
You are aware that a good pickup will still sound pretty bad (I.E not at it's best) in a guitar with a bad body wood. And im assuming that as it is a strat copy it is prob made from plywood or agathis etc......a wood with not many tonal advantages.
If it is indeed plywood or agathis, then you will be saving yourself a lot of time and money by just buying a new guitar. I suggest Ibanez grx 20, if your looking under 200$. Its a decent guitar, it at least has a basswood body, which isnt bad. It's trem is bad, but just dont use it lol. My old one sounded pretty good after I bought new pups in it, a duncan custom in bridge and pearly gates in neck.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Look at it this way , have you ever seen an imitation that out did the original?
Have you seen a knock off version that was better than the real thing?
Would you rather have sex or masturbate?

Exactly.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
You are aware that a good pickup will still sound pretty bad (I.E not at it's best) in a guitar with a bad body wood. And im assuming that as it is a strat copy it is prob made from plywood or agathis etc......a wood with not many tonal advantages.

Agreed. just save for a new guitar, it will be worth it.
oh hai gaizez,

yeah, i have a decent guitar currently, ibanez RG370DX, but i want one that i can take to shows with my band, and not be afraid of getting a bit damaged. This is why I'm spending 200 on a ****ty guitar and 80 on a ****ty pickup, as opposed to 600 on a new guitar.

My ibanez sees me through recording and jamming easily, my crappy one sees me through practicing and long writing sesions, and i want it to apply to playing live as well.

I understand why you dorks are saying to get a new one, i just don't want 3 or 4 nice guitars that i can;t take anywhere.
Ditto, I wouldn't bother to reply at all except to say that I won't bother to even think about helping anyone who starts a question off calling us all "dork noses".

Get a life. Learn some manners. Help yourself, I won't bother..
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Okay i think everybody has had or has a crappy guitar. I have one. It was my first guitar i got years ago. A Kramer Focus. cheap and decent to learn on.

i would not DARE spend a small fortune to install good quality pickups in it just because its a cheap strat that im not going to get any real good tone out of. it'd be a waste of money and time.

However

I have a nice self-made Telecaster constructed of quality guitar wood that i've put very nice duncans in and it sounds excellent! i couldnt ask for better.

my advice to you, sir, is to buy yourself a decent guitar made of a tone worthy wood and THEN install the nice pickups of your choice, but if you get a good enough guitar alot of them have good pickups to begin with.

putting good pickups in a crappy wood guitar to me is kinda like getting those BMW decals and look-a-like parts to put on your Honda Civic. sorry you arent fooling anyone.

get yourself a good guitar dude, It will pay off more than sticking a good pickup in a crappy guitar.

Good Luck

PS: learn a few manners, its rude to insult people thats are attempting to help you esp seeing as you ASKED for help.
go with a seymor duncan SH-8 invader or a bill lawrence L-500XL
My Gear:
Schecter Omen 6 ( Seymour Duncan SH - 8 Invader Bridge, GFS Crunchy Rails Neck )
Jackson JS30DKT Dinky™ Hard tail ( Stock Pickups )
Fender Squire Stratocaster ( Stock Pickups )
Vox AD15VT Amplifier
Quote by kurbo
okay dork-noses, i have a lame strat copy-copy, as i call it, my first ever electric, and I want to keep it around, i'm 16 and earn about 150 (australian) part-time work per week, so i don't like flaunting cash everywhere.

I want to install ONE decent pickup, a humbucker especially applicable in metal/thrash/extreme etc, to go on the bridge position and let pussies know what time it is (flava flaaav!!)

I always have decent strings and have perfected the action, so no worries there, and i polish the fretboard more than jesus polishes les claypool's knob, so all I really want is to make the guitar look pretty (will figure out myself), and put one decent pickup on the sucker.

I can find decent new/barely used appropriate pickups on eBay in australia, but my question is:
How do I install it to ensure no annoying unnatural feedback and how do I rig the wiring (noob and proud), how can I ensure the strings being in line with the pickup, and can anyone suggest a decent brand/range of pickups.

I'll be spending no more than about 150 American.

i don't think $150 a week is bad... but yea. strings being in line with the pickup? how do u rig the wiring? ensure no annoying unnatural feedback??? google "wire pickup" and you'll probably hit seymourduncan.com, guitarelectronics.com, guitarnuts.com, and some others. if you get annoying unnatural feedback, it's the amp or the position where you stand. strings in line with the pickup... don't u have a pick guard???

who's the dork-nose now?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i don't think $150 a week is bad... but yea. strings being in line with the pickup? how do u rig the wiring? ensure no annoying unnatural feedback??? google "wire pickup" and you'll probably hit seymourduncan.com, guitarelectronics.com, guitarnuts.com, and some others. if you get annoying unnatural feedback, it's the amp or the position where you stand. strings in line with the pickup... don't u have a pick guard???

who's the dork-nose now?

lolcrunk, poopykins...... As you may know, different strings have different spacing between the strings, with pickups suited for those spacings, naughty little boy.

I have a beautiful old gibson quad box combo that sounds unnaturally clean with my ibanez and my soundgear bass, but crackles like a dork-nose when i put my poopy geetR in. Hell, my ibanez even sounds pretty in my ****ty "magnum" 10W amp.

Oh yeah, and I'm saving to travel around europe when i finish school.

but yeah, thanks, the links and what not help (whistle...), and now i am going to take a ride on my BIG GREEN HIGH HORSE!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!
Quote by kurbo
lolcrunk, poopykins...... As you may know, different strings have different spacing between the strings, with pickups suited for those spacings, naughty little boy.

Umm...What? If you measure from the CENTER of each string, each string is the same distance. The only difference would be if you need an F-spaced humbucker for a Floyd rose or a trem...

Clearly, you have no idea how to use Google, or anything about guitar really.

I'm tellin' ya - stop typing like a moron, apologize for your rudeness, and I'll probably help you.
hey guys, you is all nasty.

Trust me, fellas, if I WAS rude, I'd write something offensive, dork must have different connotations in america, i only write as a friendly, light-hearted attempt to not seem like an extremely boring individual.

Umm...What? If you measure from the CENTER of each string, each string is the same distance. The only difference would be if you need an F-spaced humbucker for a Floyd rose or a trem...

Clearly, you have no idea how to use Google, or anything about guitar really.

I'm tellin' ya - stop typing like a moron, apologize for your rudeness, and I'll probably help you.

you're being rude, AND contradicting yourself...don't be so uppity, this isn't panic at the disco, no need to wee on everyone.

And hey, I WANT a muddy tone. And i got that muddy tone for 45 dollars NEW AUSTRALIAN (about 40 dollars US)

don't be so mean, guys, get a sense of humour, failing that, top yourself- no big loss.

guitar is art and expression and fun- not a super exclusive elitist mutual masturbation club

love you boys and girls!!!!!
You may as well forget about putting in an active pickup since all of your others are passive. It will cost you a way too much to pay someone to get it to even work. And if your guitar is routed for only single coils you may as well give up on a full size humbucker. There is no way in hell that you will be able to carve out the hole by hand. You should look into the Seymour duncan hot rails or the jb junior. They are humbuckers that are singlecoil size
Quote by kurbo
hey guys, you is all nasty.

Trust me, fellas, if I WAS rude, I'd write something offensive, dork must have different connotations in america, i only write as a friendly, light-hearted attempt to not seem like an extremely boring individual.

you're being rude, AND contradicting yourself...don't be so uppity, this isn't panic at the disco, no need to wee on everyone.

And hey, I WANT a muddy tone. And i got that muddy tone for 45 dollars NEW AUSTRALIAN (about 40 dollars US)

don't be so mean, guys, get a sense of humour, failing that, top yourself- no big loss.

guitar is art and expression and fun- not a super exclusive elitist mutual masturbation club

love you boys and girls!!!!!

I don't think I'm contradicting myself at all.

And though you may mean it in a light hearted manner, perhaps you should look into your sentence structure...It does not come off as someone simply asking for help or advice, it comes from someone who demands information and answers. Plus, you do just write like a moron. "lolcrunk"? "no need to wee on everyone"?
Quote by kurbo

I have a beautiful old gibson quad box combo that sounds unnaturally clean with my ibanez and my soundgear bass, but crackles like a dork-nose when i put my poopy geetR in. Hell, my ibanez even sounds pretty in my ****ty "magnum" 10W amp.

Oh yeah, and I'm saving to travel around europe when i finish school.

but yeah, thanks, the links and what not help (whistle...), and now i am going to take a ride on my BIG GREEN HIGH HORSE!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!

so if you know about all that **** then what the **** do you need answered on this forum?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
So you want a good bridge pickup for metal? How about looking at a Dimarzio D Sonic, its passive so no worries with complex wiring and I wouldn't worry about string spacing/polepieces.

And seriously I don't think if we found this so boring then we would be here, so don't think you're doing us all a favor by mixing things up with your "friendly light hearted manner" ok "poopykins"? Learn something about life kid, if you want help/advice don't come asking for it like an immature little asshat and try showing some respect. If you acted like that to anyone in the real life (aka not on the internet) you'll just get yourself a punch in the face.

Btw your location ****s up the screen, why don't you grow up and learn how to spell the name of your country instead of being all "funny" about it.
^
Quote by XibanezedgeX
If you acted like that to anyone in the real life (aka not on the internet) you'll just get yourself a punch in the face.

or just get fired from ur job, ofcourse.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't think I'm contradicting myself at all.

And though you may mean it in a light hearted manner, perhaps you should look into your sentence structure...It does not come off as someone simply asking for help or advice, it comes from someone who demands information and answers. Plus, you do just write like a moron. "lolcrunk"? "no need to wee on everyone"?

haha.... life is fun, especially when accompanied by quality individuals lolcrunk......
hey guys.... I have had a job since 12, in which i get paid well and am highly respected, I am a straight A student who tops physics, chemistry, and advanced maths classes, I'm the school captain, and hey- i have a ****ed up family and am very insecure- I don't give a (insert arbitrary swearword) what you think- I asked a question, don't post if you aren't answering my question.