I have never messed with this brand of guitars, so I was wondering what their guitars are like?

I don't have anywhere near (that I know of) that has Kramers so I can't try one out.
Quote by Vangald
I have never messed with this brand of guitars, so I was wondering what their guitars are like?

I don't have anywhere near (that I know of) that has Kramers so I can't try one out.

They pretty much like Charvels and Jacksons... You can't find them cause they got sold to gibson and I'm pretty sure they stopped making them...
Gibson has carried on making them only two or three U.S.A. models and some Korean or Chinese made models like they did with Epiphone. Older American Kramers were nice guitars I don't know anything about the newer ones though.
Older Kramers (Pre gibson):
Strikers: Good necks, the rest were crap
Aerostar: See Above
100 Series: See above
Focus: Made by ESP in Japan. Very nice guitars; well built, high quality, good hardware
USAs: Don't know a whole lot, but they are considered great, though don't seem to be held in as high regard as USA Charvels and Jacksons.

Current Kramers: Unless its a USA, skip it. Muddy sounding pickups, questionable trems and hardware. I guess for the price they aren't bad, but it'll need some upgrades, thats for sure.

I would look into Japanese Charvels first. Much higher quality then a lot of Kramer put out, and easily on par with the Focus series. However, MIJ Charvels aren't quite the bargin they once were, but they tend to be cheaper then Kramer Focus series. If you're looking for a USA, try both; Its pretty much preference, though I do hear that C/J guitars were of a bit higher quality.
Newer Kramers are crap, but belive me - the pre 1991 ones are incredible.

I've owned oh-so-many guitars in my life, Gibsons, Fenders, Gretsches, Jacksons...
But none of them compared to my 1987 Kramer Baretta I. It's my baby.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Thanks for the info all! I doubt I will be shelling out that much for the USA's. I am a hobbyist player so I never go over $600 on guitars.
newer kramers are deffinitely not crap unless your getting the cheapest ones.
The quadrails are very high output 'buckers and playability on kramers is awesome.
Though I admit the quadrails aren't the clearest, but I'd hardly call them muddy.
The non-quadrails vary in quality. I've heard some **** ones but the one in my 7 string is beautiful.Using the tone pot I can get strat tones as well as heavy metal stuff.

Again with all brands, play before you buy and take criticism/praise on the net with a grain of salt as it is usually based on the worst in line or someone(don't point at me) who owns one and hasn't played anything else.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I agree with DagMX. Even vintagekramer.com rated the new Strikers pretty high, considering what you get, the price and how they play. You have to be realistic, its not a $1000 guitar and you can't compare it to one but I believe it competes well against anything twice its price. Also its not an original Kramer made in the 80's, so you can't compare it with those either. Those are in a league of their own especially the USA ones such as the Baretta. I own one of the new Strikers and love it. Of course its made overseas, Indonesia I believe but I havn't had a problem with mine and love it. Like I said for the price you pay and what you get for it is unbeatable. Think of it this way, even if you dont like the pickups or other parts such as the trem, for the $269 or whatever it costs you could swap both easily and still be under budget.
I took mine into the local music shop, and the repair guy couldn't believe how much I paid for it for what it is. These guys have been opened since the late '60 in the area. He also said the trem is made well especially the 2 pivot points. I'm getting my neck drilled at the nut so the nut is more stable.

Edit: I bought mine through the musicyo.com website, which is owned by Gibson. I ordered mine and 2.5 days later I had it. Good service too.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Nov 16, 2007,
I know a lot of older Kramers are supposed to be amazing, but I'm not too sure about their new ones. I've heard some VERY negative things about the quadrails that they put in some of them. There was a time when I was considering a new Vanguard, but A: I didn't like the way the pickups were setup, and B: I couldn't find many good reviews at all.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by DSOTM80
I agree with DagMX. Even vintagekramer.com rated the new Strikers pretty high, considering what you get, the price and how they play. You have to be realistic, its not a $1000 guitar and you can't compare it to one but I believe it competes well against anything twice its price. Also its not an original Kramer made in the 80's, so you can't compare it with those either. Those are in a league of their own especially the USA ones such as the Baretta. I own one of the new Strikers and love it. Of course its made overseas, Indonesia I believe but I havn't had a problem with mine and love it. Like I said for the price you pay and what you get for it is unbeatable. Think of it this way, even if you dont like the pickups or other parts such as the trem, for the $269 or whatever it costs you could swap both easily and still be under budget.
I took mine into the local music shop, and the repair guy couldn't believe how much I paid for it for what it is. These guys have been opened since the late '60 in the area. He also said the trem is made well especially the 2 pivot points. I'm getting my neck drilled at the nut so the nut is more stable.

Edit: I bought mine through the musicyo.com website, which is owned by Gibson. I ordered mine and 2.5 days later I had it. Good service too.

well said.
I have to say this about musicyo, service is excellent. While I didn't buy my guitar from them, I emailed them for some questions(routing dimensions, fretboard radius etc...) and I got a very prompt reply and a friendly one too. This in comparison to ibanez who still have to return a reply to my many emails.

As for the trem. Its very good quality once setup. As musicyo led me to believe, its very similiar to the LFR on guitarpartsdepot. Not sure how it compares to an OFR since I haven't tried one extensively, but the quality seems good. Tuning stability seems rock solid(g string aside) no matter how much I tried to pull up or push down

As for problems, I haven't had any with my striker.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350