I need an OD pedal for the Valve Jr, It can get blues like distortion when cranked, but I need to get it into the thrash Metal and 80's Rock range.

If theres an OD pedal which sounds like a JCM800, I want it. Thats my sound target.
I'd try a Marshall Guv'Nor, I've never used one before, but I think thats what its designed for
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
I think the valve junior would struggle with 80s thrash, even with an OD. Have you tried the Peavey valveking royal 8? It's supposed to have more gain and sound just as nice as the EVJ.
I also need a pedal for my ac 30, since I try not to put it too loud...which would be a good one?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by Guitarmike123
I think the valve junior would struggle with 80s thrash, even with an OD. Have you tried the Peavey valveking royal 8? It's supposed to have more gain and sound just as nice as the EVJ.
I was thinking of one, but i cant find it!
Menatone Red Snapper or Zvex Box Of Rocks for that Marshall tone.

although the Zvex is supposed to be a cranked JTM45 in a box. I prefer that to a JCM800
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
BYOC Shredder, perhaps? It's a clone of an early Marshall Shredmaster. According to the site, it's "full on 80's heavy metal distortion," which I take to mean "sounds like a JCM800." It's not exactly an overdrive, but it could be closer to what you are looking for.
A wise man is not wise because of his wiseness, but because of his manness.

Quote by floppypick
Penis.. do digimon have them?
a Rat dude. seriously. it pushes insane amount of volume, gritty distortion.

and, i have one at my junkyard. with a soundclip on my profile. so check it out.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
With a gain mod or two, an Bad Monkey can push a VJ to near-thrash levels, but it might not be as tight. Two gain mods and a TS9 or a Maxton 808 should tighten things up a little better than a Bad Monkey, but you do need to either mod the VJ, or try two TS9's. I can get a (very messy) thrash tone from my VJ with my Bad Monkey cascaded into my Russian Big Muff.
i can think of no od's that will push an unmodded valve jr into 80s rock/metal territory. i own a ts808 and just sold my ts9 today and, even together, could not get a satisfactory 80s tone from my dsl401 (which has quite a bit more gain than your vj). using tubescreamers on my hrd -- which is closer to your vj gain-wise -- comes nowhere near the tone you're looking for. i'd suggest perhaps looking into a palomino and an od? otherwise look for a nice distortion pedal. my mi audio crunchbox is the closest thing to a cranked-jcm800-in-a-stompbox as i've heard (admittedly, i haven't tried out any zvex products). maybe a rocktron silver dragon, though it was a bit messy and noisy when i tried it. or a proco turbo rat.

edit: that, and 2 tubescreamers, together, sounded messy and gross.
Consider a Zakk Wylde Overdrive... I've played one and I could see it fitting the bill for what your looking for. I think they have gainier, distorted, slightly more scooped than some other overdrives out there. the ts9's are cool pedals but I don't know if that will get the 80's sound your looking for.