Guys I picked up guitar 6 months ago and i'm loving every single minute of playing it and seeing some great progress.

I bought a Strat copy beginner package for like $100 and I only just realised that it sucks balls. The amp sounds like **** and only has a volume control button, not only that but when I switch it to distortion the buzz that it gives off deafens me. The strat copy I have is sucky too but it's helped me learn.

So now i'm planning on buying a new amp and guitar.

I was looking at the roland microcube. As I'm still a beginner I don't want to go out and buy a 100ft stack, and the roland microcube seems small and cheap but also has some awesome effects and actual has gain. Thoughts on this?

Also, this sounds like a really stupid question, but how come a strat copy can sell for $50 on ebay, yet a real strat goes for like $500? What makes them so different? Is it just the tone it gives off?

I was looking at something like a gibson sg or a les paul with an awesome tobacco sunburst on it, but as i'm new to guitar I don't really have a clue on how to figure out if it actually sounds good. How can I find out if the things like pickups and action and strings suck balls or are good?
yea most of the beginner pachages do suck....so they are only good to see if you enjoy playing or not...and if not you didnt invest a fortune
anyway the roland cube is a very nice amp - i would go for that one
oh a real strat does sound better than a copy and of course you pay for the name...
to find out which guitars are great go to your lockal music store and test some....
i would recommend a Fender Standard Stratocaster - very good "beginner" guitar!
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
Roland microcube is a good choice and guitars are expensive for different reasons, better wood, better pickups, brand names, quality of hardware, quality of build etc.
I can't really help you with cheap amps; I think you should go for at least 50 watts.

The Strat copies sell for cheaper for several reasons:
1. You're not paying for a name
2. The pickups are fake and sound significantly worse
3. The wood is usually different and cheaper
4. The guitars will fall apart much quicker
5. As you said yourself, their buzz with distortion is insane.
6. The fretboards are crap.
7. The nuts on the bridge are often set ridiculously high.
8. They don't stay in tune.
9. The tuners will actually force themselves out of tune.

And since you have a Strat copy, get rid of it IMMEDIATELY. Throw in two extra springs to the tuning system (get somebody to do this for free; probably the store you bought in from), take it to a pawn shop and trade it in for cash or put it towards a better guitar.

Another word of advice: new guitar before new amp. It sounds like the opposite thing you should do, but it does wonders. Trust me.
hmm you might have a look at the voxad30vt....but tell us what styles you play!
my gear:

Quote by dickeskind
....but tell us what styles you play!

+1

An SG and a Microcube is a nice setup for a bedroom metalhead, but probably isn't the best setup for a variety of other styles.

Which beginner package did you get?

I like the Yamaha Pacifica as a nice starter guitar, and the Vox AD30 as an amp, but I'm much more of a Fender/classic rock kinda guy.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Nathan_393
I can't really help you with cheap amps; I think you should go for at least 50 watts.

Why? <20 is fine for any beginner/intermediate player and you get a much better amp (i.e. NOT Fender Dyantouch)
Quote by Nathan_393

Another word of advice: new guitar before new amp. It sounds like the opposite thing you should do, but it does wonders. Trust me.

Don't agree with either of those, you don't need 50 watts really, and a better amp will make all the meaningful difference in the world.
Quote by dickeskind
hmm you might have a look at the voxad30vt....but tell us what styles you play!

or the VOXad15vt, it's slightly cheaper and you only sacrifice a bit of speaker and some watts... or something I think....

I'm getting one soon anyway and it should make for a good second amp for you AND me, I tried it out only last week. If you can afford the 30vt, you should buy it, but the 15vt works just as well.
^ I prefer the 30W size, because it's powerful enough for jamming. Gives it a little more versatility as a beginner amp, and allows it serve as a backup when it's time to upgrade to a larger, gigging amp.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Budget please...and at least you've excelled enough to know that your set-up sounds like ****
Quote by Nathan_393
1. I can't really help you with cheap amps; I think you should go for at least 50 watts.

2. Another word of advice: new guitar before new amp. It sounds like the opposite thing you should do, but it does wonders. Trust me.

Both wrong.

1. The thread starter has only been playing 6 months. a 15 watt tube, or around a 30 watt solid state would be fine.

2. Nope, new amp before new guitar. A crap guitar through a good amp will sound way better than a good guitar through a crap amp.

Ts, may i suggest something like a Highway one strat or an Epiphone les paul. You can get an American strat or a Gibson Les Paul if you want but i don't think it's necessary at the moment.

As for amps, I'd say Roland cube 30 or a Laney VC15/LC15 depending on what you play.
Hi

Well I play all kinds of styles really. Since I'm just learning right now i'm not focusing on a certain style. I can play some stuff ranging from pink floyd to death metal so I'm kind of looking for an all in one amp.

My budget would probably be around about $200 seeing as how Christmas is coming up, my parents might help me put some money towards a new guitar. Perhaps I can get a real brand guitar instead of a copy. ( By the way I'm British, just using dollars on this forum)

As I said before I was looking at a Les Paul or a Gibson SG solely bases on their looks. I don't really know how I could find out if it sounds any decent. The nearest guitar shop is about 100 miles away so I can't exactly test it out.

I've decided on the roland microcube and bought it a few hours ago online brand new, I also bought a high quality cable to reduce buzzing. Maybe when I get round to buying a new guitar in the next few weeks I'll post again in this thread with some links to the guitars so you guys can give me some judgement.

Thanks again.
Quote by shibbyshaun
I can play some stuff ranging from pink floyd to death metal so I'm kind of looking for an all in one...

For versatility in a guitar, I'd suggest a Fat Strat of some sort (two single coil pups, and a humbucker in the bridge). That'll do your Floyd type stuff better than any Gibson (or knockoff), and still handle the higher gain stuff pretty well.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
well in that case i would go for the voxad30vt and maybe a procorat if you wanna play harder metal!
my gear: