I am building an HSS Strat and my color scheme calls for gold pickups. I plan on getting a SD Pearly Gates Trembucker with a gold cover for the bridge. But that leaves 2 single coil slots open and gold covered single coil pickups are almost don't exist.

My options are to either get a normal neck/mid pup and get gold covers, which can look cheezy, or find a rare gold pup. So far, only single coil gold pups I have found are the lipstick tube ones, and I am not sold on their looks, and don't know anything about their sound.

I need suggestions on gold single coil pups that would work well with a Pearly Gates bridge. Any suggestions?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
paint some. what sound are you wanting from them?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Not looking to spend a mint, so the Juicy pups are out of my price range. I can do gold pickup covers on my own, but have heard they look bad, ie fake.

Guess I could buy a pair of white covered lace pups and paint them a metallic gold, but how well will gold paint adhere to those pickup covers?

Any general thoughts on the lipstick tube pups?
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Last edited by Staz80 at Nov 16, 2007,
I was about to susgest lipstick tubes aswell.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Dont know anything about them, how do they look on a Strat and how do they sound? What type of sounds to they cater to? Would they be a good match to the Pearly Gates?
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Not using a gold guard. Black body, Rosewood pickguard, gold hardware, gold pickups, Rosewood fretboard. Basically a knockoff of the custom strat built for Jaguar cars...

http://www.strat-central.com/pics/strats/custom/jaguar.jpg

Basically, this Strat needs a wooden pickguard that matches the fretboard wood. Since not buying a fancy neck, needed to find a Rosewood pickguard, so will be a little darker than the Custom Jaguar Strat, but should still have the same look. Went with the HSS configuration as I really wanted the Pearly Gates pickup as I like it's sound. Maybe someday will put a Warmoth all Rosewood neck with gold frets and gold tuners on this Strat, but not today.
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Last edited by Staz80 at Nov 16, 2007,