Hey, my first recording
Some one help me on the production please (view track info) :
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Kramer1309/music/
Thanks

EDIT:
I bumped the uppermids/mids on guitars, a little compression on the solo and some EQ and compression on the drums.
It is now uploaded by the name of "Nu - Remastered"
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000
Douglas Spad (Alder) [ custom wired with EMG and Passives ] : Kramer Striker FR424SM
Line 6 POD X3Live : Digitech Rp80 : Tascam US144
Kustom Sound (crappy ass) solid state amp
Old Steel String Acoustic (some local company)
Last edited by Kramer1309 at Nov 23, 2007,
I think the guitars sound very thick.....

It sounds like the guitars are too distant, bring them up a bit.... also on your Lead guitar, use more compression, i think would sound better

BTW, how many Rythm guitars in there?
The composition itself is great!
Bit halloween, inquisition like
(You would like the band "Apocalyptica, although they play on a cello but nevermind ... listen to Inquistion symphony or something like that )
Lots of built op tension and I don't know who's playing that drum but... whatever you guys do: KEEP HIM!

But...
Like (the) maestro said, it's a bit muddy...
If you would equalize the piece a bit and use some compression it would really kick out of my speakers!
Right now it's one thick mass with potential. Try to orden everything correctly and give every instrument his brightness and characteristics (bit wrong... sorry grammar-nazi's!)

one last thing...
I love your guitar
the kramer:P

Hey thanks for the crit on "my" piece by the way
and sorry for the late crit but well... I was kinda busy
Thank you all

There is basically one rhythm guitar, and during the harmony riffs, there are obviously two.
But both guitars are double tracked so total of 4 guitar tracks at most times.

I know the whole thing sounds thick but i really dont know what to do. i mean, i know that i gotta add some compression and equalize again but what to do with the equalizer - im not sure as im not very experienced with it. - Basically , i know what i have to do , not how to do it :P

I have heard a little bit of Apocalyptica and liked it. (I also compose some orchestral stuff once in a while)

The Drummer ...
... well he's virtual - lol (i know 2 guys whod be able to do it though) - I dont have a drumkit or any recording equip to get a drum to sound decent so i used EZx Drumkit From Hell.

I guess the guitars sound repititive coz, well , i thought i needed to give some space for vocals (but i dont have lyrics or the voice so :P)

And about the tone sounding muffled - this is probably the result of the headphone output on the RP80 directly into Line IN on sound card, so i wasnt expecting anything great.
Hopefully i should get a podx3 in june (gotta study till then- college entrance exams are tough)

so thanks again everybody
(any suggestions on WHAT to do once ive opened the EQ or Multiband compressor. and should i do this to each track or the master?)
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000
Douglas Spad (Alder) [ custom wired with EMG and Passives ] : Kramer Striker FR424SM
Last edited by Kramer1309 at Nov 20, 2007,
each track if you got the amount of time
It will be hell of a lot better and you can adjust every instrument to his characteristics and tone
I will find time to do it on each track but what???
I dont know which frequencies should be booster or reduced.
And i do not know how to use a compressor (generally use presets)
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000
I would say mids should be boosted BUT... I think you could better search for someone else cause this isn't my speciality
song was pretty good but production was pretty bad...sounds like you put the microphone in a room next door and recorded.
Production needs a lot of work - it sounds like the whole thing is being played in a bathtub underwater.
The composition is good, but I'd suggest doing a new mix with a little more presence...try raising the high frequencies and upper mids in prettty much everything! At the moment it sounds like someone's taken an amazing recording and then thrown a big heavy blanket over it to muffle the lot.
I bumped the uppermids/mids on guitars, a little compression on the solo and some EQ and compression on the drums.
It is now uploaded by the name of "Nu - Remastered"
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000