Page 1 of 2
Hey

Just looking for a few interesting philosophical questions...eg. If a tree falls in a wood and there's no-one there to hear it, does it make a sound??

I know nothing about philosophy....just interested
Quote by headly
Hey

Just looking for a few interesting philosophical questions...eg. If a tree falls in a wood and there's no-one there to hear it, does it make a sound??

I know nothing about philosophy....just interested

The answer is no.

Nothing actually makes a sound only waves of energy which vibrate your eardrums, and your brain then intreprets those vibrations as sound.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
here's one we had earier in my philoshopy lesson...

How would you define love?

was harder than you'd imagine
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
What is the correct time?

Maybe all the watches are wrong
but
What is time?
Quote by ldnovelo2
That guy Rhys90 is one of the greatest computer genius out there and we must found a religion to honor him
Quote by Rhys90
What is the correct time?

Maybe all the watches are wrong
but
What is time?

time is the fourth coordinate required in order to put an object in space on a map, if this map is to be accurate as far as our perception of dimentions go. It is a measure of the displacement of matter, seeing as though without moving matter there would be no (noticable) time.

a purely relative dimention. a photon blazing around is both a particle and a wave that is born at it´s destination; it lives 0 time; but we see it moving at the highest possible speed any massless object can travel at due to time dilation and the likes

if i think, and therefor am, how can i be sure that i was?
i´m thinking now, but i only remember thinking 10 seconds ago, if i was made 15 seconds ago and all of my memories were implanted in me, i would be thinking the same thing. basically, it´s very incredible improbable, but it´s possible
Quote by JamminEmu

if i think, and therefor am, how can i be sure that i was?
i´m thinking now, but i only remember thinking 10 seconds ago, if i was made 15 seconds ago and all of my memories were implanted in me, i would be thinking the same thing. basically, it´s very incredible improbable, but it´s possible

You only really exist the moment you are thinking.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
*insert mildly witty and extremely predictable search bar joke*

I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Ironbodom
The answer is no.

Nothing actually makes a sound only waves of energy which vibrate your eardrums, and your brain then intreprets those vibrations as sound.

The waves exist regardless of whether or not we perceive them. Does light not exist regardless of whether or not someone is looking at it? If I close my eyes the sights in front of me continue to exist.
Quote by Mister.Y
You only really exist the moment you are thinking.

That's not at all what it means. It means your existence is only indubitable when you're thinking. You exist regardless of whether or not you think.

Is a mind a physical thing or a non-physical thing? Are there any (other) non-physical things?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by SilentDeftone
Can God create a rock so heavy he cannot lift it?

In short, no. God is omnipotent, but that doesn't mean he can perform things that are logical contradictions. If rock x is unliftable, then of course God can't lift it. Not because God isn't omnipotent, but because of the definition of the property 'unliftable'. Can God create a square circle? No, because if some shape x is a square, it is by definition not a circle and vice versa.

Quote by Vornik
Is a mind a physical thing or a non-physical thing? Are there any (other) non-physical things?

I'm actually taking a Philosophy of Mind class right now, and I'm completely convinced that there is no physical explanation for minds, and that they are indeed non-physical things.
Last edited by LolPirates at Nov 16, 2007,
How can i know that the past is not a fiction made up to account for; my current physical state of being and my state of mind?

Quote by JamminEmu
time is the fourth coordinate required in order to put an object in space on a map, if this map is to be accurate as far as our perception of dimentions go. It is a measure of the displacement of matter, seeing as though without moving matter there would be no (noticable) time.

a purely relative dimention. a photon blazing around is both a particle and a wave that is born at it´s destination; it lives 0 time; but we see it moving at the highest possible speed any massless object can travel at due to time dilation and the likes

Couldn't have put it better myself
Last edited by Grundy0 at Nov 16, 2007,
Quote by fwibble
here's one we had earier in my philoshopy lesson...

How would you define love?

was harder than you'd imagine

Quote by I Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Not too hard...
It is arrogant to believe that a sound does not occur when a human is not there to witness it.
Quote by ss311
It is arrogant to believe that a sound does not occur when a human is not there to witness it.

It isn't arrogance, it's subjectivism. Does existance exist without consciousness? How would you know?
If Batman died, would the Joker be happy?
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
I'm a philosophy major in college (as well as political science) and I must say this is a really a mind blowing list of philosophic conversations !

How about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin
It is arrogant because humans cannot tell what else may or may not have heard the sound. There are other creatures with ears out there.
Why do all philosophers follow the same way of reasoning when in fact following a path, in a way someone has already stablished, without questioning it makes you dogmatic, which is what all philosophers are against? And if someone did question this way of reasoning, wouldn't they use reason to doubt that same way which uses reasoning as a tool for philosophers, in which case they would be contradicting themselves? And if so, wouldn't the way in which philosophers think be undoubtable, and so making it dogmatic in change, making all philosophers "not" philosophers?

Why do we have to doubt all knowledge when maybe the knowledge we doubted was actually true and the doubts we had were false? And if this was true, how could be TRULY know what is real or "true" if we don't know if the knowledge we know as "true" is true or not?

Why did God went to the Jews in the first place
Last edited by gonzaw at Nov 16, 2007,
Quote by denizenz
Oh my.

I do apologise, but all philosophical questions are just as full of nonsense as sense, so I thought I'd just argue my case anyway :p I wasn't being 100% serious anyway.

Would it be beneficial to upload our consciences to hard drives and exist there?
Quote by ss311
Would it be beneficial to upload our consciences to hard drives and exist there?

Is this a serious question, and is it directed at me in the context of our last discourse?

Quote by ss311
I do apologise, but all philosophical questions are just as full of nonsense as sense, so I thought I'd just argue my case anyway :p I wasn't being 100% serious anyway.

Right`o then.
Yeah, that one's serious. It's not directly directed towards you though. It was in a book I read recently.

I'm serious about the backing up of conscience, but not so much with the arrogance argument.
How would one go about converting conscience to 1's and 0's? Also, I'm fairly certain that I read someplace that all of the computers in the world couldn't warehouse all of the thoughts and memories contained in a single human mind.
Quote by gonzaw
Why do all philosophers follow the same way of reasoning when in fact following a path, in a way someone has already stablished, without questioning it makes you dogmatic, which is what all philosophers are against? And if someone did question this way of reasoning, wouldn't they use reason to doubt that same way which uses reasoning as a tool for philosophers, in which case they would be contradicting themselves? And if so, wouldn't the way in which philosophers think be undoubtable, and so making it dogmatic in change, making all philosophers "not" philosophers?

Why do we have to doubt all knowledge when maybe the knowledge we doubted was actually true and the doubts we had were false? And if this was true, how could be TRULY know what is real or "true" if we don't know if the knowledge we know as "true" is true or not?

Simply put, you CANNOT know anythingaccording to Rene Descartes except for that you exist, but that is only one of hundreds of theories.

you have asked a very poorly formed question. sort out what you want to know and I may be able to help
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Have a look for Philosophy The Latest Answers to the Oldest Questions by Nicholas Fearn. He discusses said problem. Obviously it isn't a proposal for the near future, but it is still an interesting perspective, considering that it could replace the world as a setting, thereby eliminating the need for energy, except for that which powers computers.
Quote by Ironbodom
The answer is no.

sound is made by vibration. since the tree vibrates when it hits the floor, yes it in fact does make a noise. its just that you dont hear it.

Edit. To carswell, descartes actually sat in a room alone doubting everything to try and work something out. he worked out the one thing he couldnt doubt was the fact he was doubting everything. he then came up with the "i think therefore i am" thing. so he didnt say you couldnt know anything apart from the fact you exist, he said you know you exist because you know you can think, as surely by knowing you can think you are thinking.
this is my sig. there are many like it, but this is mine.

Brown Sugar
Last edited by 2ndslash at Nov 16, 2007,
Quote by denizenz
How would one go about converting conscience to 1's and 0's? Also, I'm fairly certain that I read someplace that all of the computers in the world couldn't warehouse all of the thoughts and memories contained in a single human mind.

I don't know...lets say the conscience is in the mind, and the mind's place lets say is at the brain, the brain works with sinapsis (or something like that) which are electric impulses, and so those electric impulses determine how our mind is going to be and so determine our conscience. How do you know if computers have conscience or not, but are not able to think? I mean....the computer and software works on electric impulses too, so it may be the case that they too have a conscience....just that we don't know about it.

Quote by denizenz
How do you know for sure if you weren't there?

Well.....you can record those vibrations on a recorder and then hear them...
Last edited by gonzaw at Nov 16, 2007,
to denizenz, why would it not vibrate just because im not there to witness the vibration?

Brown Sugar
Quote by denizenz
How do you know for sure if you weren't there?

In that case, how do I know it fell?

And more importantly, why would I care?
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by 2ndslash
to denizenz, why would it not vibrate just because im not there to witness the vibration?

I'm not saying it doesn't...I'm saying it may not and you wouldn't know.

Quote by Schneiderman
In that case, how do I know it fell?

And more importantly, why would I care?

You wouldn't.

You obviously cared enough to post about it...why you would care I have no idea, but you obviously felt something on the topic.
well just because i dont know its vibrating doesnt mean it doesnt vibrate or make a noise... i dont see your point :S

Brown Sugar
Quote by denizenz

You wouldn't.

You obviously cared enough to post about it...why you would care I have no idea, but you obviously felt something on the topic.

I see what you're saying, and in a sense I agree with your logic. But in that case, should we just forgive all crimes to which there are no witnesses? I do like this thread.
Quote by denizenz

You wouldn't.

My feeling is that the question symbolizes the false basis for a lot of hypothetical philosophies. We all "know" that regardless of whether or not a person is there to observe it, when a tree falls, it makes a noise. We "know" this because we can make assumptions of the world we live in. You can question whether or not that which we don't observe ever truly happened, but if nobody observed it, does it matter? It's a waste of thinking. Like many other pretentious, smart-ass philosophical debates, this has been around for years. Consider how much thought has been wasted on a question which not only does not have an answer, but is inconsequential.

I don't care about the tree falling, I care about you pestering the damn thing. The tree can fall if it wants to, and you shouldn't be concerned about the noise it made if you weren't there to hear it.

This post is somewhat in jest
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by 2ndslash
well just because i dont know its vibrating doesnt mean it doesnt vibrate or make a noise... i dont see your point :S

The point is that it doesn't mean that it does either.

Quote by ss311
I see what you're saying, and in a sense I agree with your logic. But in that case, should we just forgive all crimes to which there are no witnesses? I do like this thread.

No...there can still be empirical evidence in the absence of a witness. Also, we make allowances for things that we don't know to be absolutely true. Same with the tree falling in the woods. I believe it makes a noise because of my knowledge of reality and physics , but I can never be absolutely certain.
Can jesus microwave a burrito so hot, that even he cannot eat it?

If a tree falls in the woods and hits a fat chick, and no one is around to see it, do the trees laugh?

If a tree falls in the woods, and it hits a mime, does anyone careIf an old person falls in their house, and no one is around to hear it, do they make a sound?

A few I remember from a previous philosophy thread.

But to be serious:

Is the universe infinite? I can't grasp how it could be infinite. I mean, would that mean that everything possible you can think of has happened at some stage somewhere in the universe? Like somone who looks exactly like you living a life exactly like yours somehwere trillions of billions of miles away... except he has a penis on his forehead?

Also, I can't grasp existence, I mean, the physical state, sorry I'm confused now, I cant get the words out into typing... its hard to explain...
i got a question.... what happens when you divide by zero?
myspace.com/nivek88

~I will eventually troll the forum that your obsessed with~
Quote by denizenz
The point is that it doesn't mean that it does either.

No...there can still be empirical evidence in the absence of a witness. Also, we make allowances for things that we don't know to be absolutely true. Same with the tree falling in the woods. I believe it makes a noise because of my knowledge of reality and physics , but I can never be absolutely certain.

surely your knowledge of physics would tell you that it would make a loud noise because it vibrates a lot when it hits the floor.

Brown Sugar
Page 1 of 2