My friend recently told me that a company makes Steve Harris signature strings. He also mentioned that they were flatwound. I thought i read somewhere that flatwound strings can damage your fret board. Could someone please inform me about flatwounds and possibly tell which company makes these strings?
Flatwound strings will not damage your fretboard. Your friend is getting confused with Roundwound strings.

Roundwound will damage your fretboard if you play them on a fretless bass without having the fretboard reinforced (coating it in epoxy).

A quick google reveals that RotoSound make Steve Harris sig strings and they are flatwounds.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Flatwound strings will not damage your fretboard. Your friend is getting confused with Roundwound strings.

Roundwound will damage your fretboard if you play them on a fretless bass without having the fretboard reinforced (coating it in epoxy).

A quick google reveals that RotoSound make Steve Harris sig strings and they are flatwounds.

thank you good sir.
Flatwounds also have a very different feel, and a somewhat 'dull' sound that's definitely not for everyone. The Steve Harris sigs are also very heavy flatwounds, make sure you know what you're getting if you do want them. You may well hate them.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
Flatwounds also have a very different feel, and a somewhat 'dull' sound that's definitely not for everyone. The Steve Harris sigs are also very heavy flatwounds, make sure you know what you're getting if you do want them. You may well hate them.

i play my bass very melodically and on very high frets most of the time. should i just stick with roundwounds and get a brighter tone?
I think flatwounds would be ideal for what you're doing as they give a smoother tone. But it depends on what you're after, smooth highs or brighter highs.
signature
Quote by pedalguy1
i play my bass very melodically and on very high frets most of the time. should i just stick with roundwounds and get a brighter tone?

Well your preference may well be different to mine, but you can try whatever you want.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3nN9w3wzlp8 will give you a good idea of the flatwound tone.

One second view of that video, isn't that that gibsonsg41 bloke who was around here and got banned?
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
Well your preference may well be different to mine, but you can try whatever you want.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3nN9w3wzlp8 will give you a good idea of the flatwound tone.

One second view of that video, isn't that that gibsonsg41 bloke who was around here and got banned?

dude thanks for the video. Thats exactly the kind of stuff i like to play. I really dig that balanced and even tone.